The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2008 - 04:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I grabbed them because I new they were late 50's, early 60's, and all sealed.

Eugene Istomin, Chopin Nocturnes 11-19 ML 5055
Glenn Gould ML 5336
Chausson ML 4998
Prades Festival Orchestra Pablo Casals Vol 1, ML 4335
Robert Casadesus ML 5213
Berlioz: Les Nuits D' Ete, Eleanor Stebner ML 4940
Brahms Quartet No. 1 Budapest String Quartet, Dvorak Quintet No. 3, ML 4799
Music For Flute by William Kincaid ML 4339
Schonberg Concerto for Violin and Orchestra ML 4857
Lois Gesensway: Four Squares Of Philadelphia, ML 5108
Prades Festival Orchestra, Pablo Casals Vol 4, ML 4348
Mahler Walter Sypmhony No. 1, ML 4958
Roy Harris Syphony No. 7, ML 5095
Shostakovitch, Violin Concerto ML 5077
Dvorak Quartet In F Major, ML 5143
Casals Festival at prades, Third Series Schubert, ML 4716
Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra Of New York, ML 5101
William Primrose Concerto For Viola And Orchestra, ML 4905
Dvorak: Concerto In G Minor For Piano & Orchestra , OP. 33 ML 4967
Albert Schweitzer, Franck: Organ ML 5128
Bella Bartok, The Juilliard String Quartet, ML 4280
Dvorak: New Worl Symphony, ML 5115
Schoenberg Complete Piano Music, ML 5116
Igor Stravinsky, ML 4899
Bach Music Of Jubilee, ML 4435

I left off some info because I think I would be typing until tomorrow. All sealed and very clean. And yes, they are originals. A few were open and I did verify that they were Six Eye. Some of these are even earlier. Are these worth selling, or are they better off going to my stereo tech when I need his services. Something in here has to be good. I thought the fact that they are sealed made them a know brainer for $22. They are all mono I am assuming with the ML prefix before the Cat No. I am very vague on Classical Music so any info would be appreciated.

Reply with quote Back to top
MacJazzOffline
Post subject: RE: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2008 - 04:33 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Roy Harris Symphony No. 7, ML 5095
Shostakovich, Violin Concerto ML 5077

These four have definite marketability. Kincaid is still considered by most as the #1 flute ever. The market is limited but avid. Sealed, I'd start at $60/$75 and would go to the flute players and/or woodwinds boards and say it was up for sale.

Roy Harris was a high profile American composer of the middle century This was probably his most famous work (or Sym #3) My guess would be try it at $50 and see but remember, I price high.

Shostakovich sells consistently. I just did a Sym # 5 for $25 and the violin concerto is a good work -- not as frequently recorded. It will depend to some extent on who is doing it and with what orchestra. I do think it is available on CD however.

Schweitzer is the famous Scientist who was also a Bach expert and became an African Missionary (in, I believe the leprosy colony there). He did later recordings to support his ability to stay in Africa. He is considered one of the greatest Bach performers ever. Again, $25/$50 sealed.

Most of the rest are available on CD or are things I don't know. (Primrose?) But this gives you a start.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2008 - 05:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

MacJazz wrote:
Roy Harris Symphony No. 7, ML 5095
Shostakovich, Violin Concerto ML 5077

These four have definite marketability. Kincaid is still considered by most as the #1 flute ever. The market is limited but avid. Sealed, I'd start at $60/$75 and would go to the flute players and/or woodwinds boards and say it was up for sale.

Roy Harris was a high profile American composer of the middle century This was probably his most famous work (or Sym #3) My guess would be try it at $50 and see but remember, I price high.

Shostakovich sells consistently. I just did a Sym # 5 for $25 and the violin concerto is a good work -- not as frequently recorded. It will depend to some extent on who is doing it and with what orchestra. I do think it is available on CD however.

Schweitzer is the famous Scientist who was also a Bach expert and became an African Missionary (in, I believe the leprosy colony there). He did later recordings to support his ability to stay in Africa. He is considered one of the greatest Bach performers ever. Again, $25/$50 sealed.

Most of the rest are available on CD or are things I don't know.
Quote:
(Primrose?)
But this gives you a start.

William Primrose, Concerto For Viola And Orchestra - Walton
William Primrose, Viola, with
Sir Malcolm Sargent conducting
the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

"Der Schwanendreher' - Hindemith
Concerto for Viola and Small Orchestra
William Primrose, Viola
with John Pritchard conducting
the Columbia Chamber Orchestra

That's the info on that one. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I should have passed on stuff with Columbia as the Orchestra but I wasn't sure.
Thanks so much for the info on the four. I would like to keep the Roy Harris for the Cover art. And maybe the Schweitzer. The others will go. Anything else good on that list give a shout. It's a great learning experience also.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2008 - 06:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I have to disagree with McJazz. Mono orchestral records that are available in stereo simply do not sell. The ones that are most likely to be in demand are solo and chamber music that was mono-only.

I see one sale of Music For Flute by William Kincaid ML 4339 in VG at $20, that one might be of interest.

If you had some early Szegiti or Gould records on 6-eyes in sealed condition, then you might have some high-$$$ items. That's where all the collector interest is in mono Columbias.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2008 - 06:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

vinyl1 wrote:
I have to disagree with McJazz. Mono orchestral records that are available in stereo simply do not sell. The ones that are most likely to be in demand are solo and chamber music that was mono-only.

I see one sale of Music For Flute by William Kincaid ML 4339 in VG at $20, that one might be of interest.

If you had some early Szegiti or Gould records on 6-eyes in sealed condition, then you might have some high-$$$ items. That's where all the collector interest is in mono Columbias.

There is a sealed Glenn Gould on the list. ML 5336. I maybe be vague on Classical, but I am a record collector. Also I am not a rookie. But far from knowledgeable on Classical Music. 50's records sealed are rare period! Some of these I guess might be 1960 ish. I just don't know which ones to make an effort to sell. I did check that auction site, and there are several on that list that I probably could sell. I really enjoy the comments, and the different view points. And I probably would keep the Gould because I like the cover art. He was also one of the first artists ever on CD. Admittley I have never heard anything by him. But I always can be tempted. Smile.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2008 - 07:59 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Have you considered listening to them? Some great music there.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2008 - 08:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:
Have you considered listening to them? Some great music there.

Well I could keep an eye out for some of these open. I would love to listen to them, but honestly I think that would be foolish considering the rarity of these sealed. Not to be a prude. I will keep a couple just for the cover art. That includes a few that would be valuable. So I am not just in it for the money. I must admit that most of these I have never seen before in any condition. About 6 of them have great cover art, and will make nice conversation pieces.

lucianOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: May 31, 2013 - 10:33 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I know this thread is a few years old but I'd just like to say, that is incredible that you found a sealed Glenn Gould ML 5336! I just recently luckily picked this record up; I payed a pretty penny. it's a VERY rare 1959 1st Edition 6 eye Canadian pressing. I wasn't so fortunate to obtain a sealed copy like you but what I got is in pretty excellent condition. Very Happy

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: Jun 01, 2013 - 12:23 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

vinylhound wrote:
I grabbed them because I new they were late 50's, early 60's, and all sealed....
I don't recall seeing this thread before, but if the covers are sealed in shrink wrap (as opposed to Columbia's practice of sealing the disk in a poly bag inside an open cover), these are more likely 1960s reissues. US record companies did not ordinarily shrink wrap album covers in the 1950s. OTOH, I have seen 1950s-issued albums on occasion that had been 'sealed' with an adhesive label across the jacket opening.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Re: 25 Columbia Sealed Masterworks  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 - 10:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
vinylhound wrote:
I grabbed them because I new they were late 50's, early 60's, and all sealed....
I don't recall seeing this thread before, but if the covers are sealed in shrink wrap (as opposed to Columbia's practice of sealing the disk in a poly bag inside an open cover), these are more likely 1960s reissues. US record companies did not ordinarily shrink wrap album covers in the 1950s. OTOH, I have seen 1950s-issued albums on occasion that had been 'sealed' with an adhesive label across the jacket opening.

You are incorrect as they were not reissued with the same cover art plus something my father pointed out at the time is they pre-date Zip Codes.
The Washington DC address for the Library Of Congress is Washington 25, D.C. which is a pre Zip Code numeric system. So they would have to be issued 1963 or later with the same cover art. Which did not happen.
I am looking at Louis Gesensway Four Squares Of Philadelphia at the moment. Liked the cover art on this very much. I have all of the copies I decided to keep.
This entire post is completely inaccurate. This has been discussed numerous times. Columbia did seal record in the 1950's in poly bags and did shrink the covers.

Jump to: