The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Price Guides Way Off  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2008 - 05:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360084083200
Buddy Holly LP That'll Be The Day Record Album DL 8707

I thought this should have sold for much more. I was in contact with the seller. Two Sisters, and it was part of their Brothers Record Collection. I would not have sold it on Ebay. I think they could have got much more. The book is $1500 NM. Just goes to show how far off it can be. Even VG+ should be $750.

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2008 - 06:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Where would you have sold it, if not Ebay? Popsike shows one going for 800 and another for 1100, but those sales were four years ago. Looks like lots of copies have gone in the 300 dollar range; one sold in February for 108 dollars (granted, condition described as "great", whatever that means).

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2008 - 06:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Maybe when an auction ends can have an effect on results?

bubba louOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2008 - 08:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Depends on your guide as well. My 17th ed. Osborne lists the top price at $750. Prices on eBay often fluctuate for a variety of reasons. Even if you assume that guide values are accurate you have to remember that this is the price that a person would normally see in a bricks & mortar store. If I go to an antique store to buy a piece of furniture I will pay more for it then if I purchased the same item at an auction. Same holds true for records. The other big variable on eBay is the seller's reputation. Some sellers always get more than others for similar items just because of their reputation. Hope this helps.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2008 - 09:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

bubba lou wrote:
Depends on your guide as well. My 17th ed. Osborne lists the top price at $750. Prices on eBay often fluctuate for a variety of reasons. Even if you assume that guide values are accurate you have to remember that this is the price that a person would normally see in a bricks & mortar store. If I go to an antique store to buy a piece of furniture I will pay more for it then if I purchased the same item at an auction. Same holds true for records. The other big variable on eBay is the seller's reputation. Some sellers always get more than others for similar items just because of their reputation. Hope this helps.

I told the seller that the lack of being an established record seller was going to hurt them a little. And I would not have sold it now on Ebay. The economy stinks, and I think after the Fall Election is over might be a better time. Do you think this record is common in this condition? I did not find many of these on Popsike, and none were as nice as this one. Also, just because it can't be found on Popsike, or that auction site, that does not mean it's not valuable, or that it is. The seller should have sold it with a reserve. I would have wanted $500+ minimum. Only a little over a $100 off, but still.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2008 - 09:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Sixteen "Buddy Holly 8707" results

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=buddy+holly+8707&thumbs=

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2008 - 09:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I did not do a Cat Search. Laughing Probably the best way to search the site.
There are a couple nice ones, but most were not as nice as the one that just sold. I still think the seller could have got more.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2008 - 10:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I would not blame the seller reputation, since it is quite clear this is a fine copy.

Is it possible that interest in music from this era is dying out? It seems like most of the collector interest for pop music now is in the 1965-70 period.

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2008 - 09:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

hrtshpdbox wrote:
(granted, condition described as "great", whatever that means).
I have had some sweet buys from auctions described like this. I contact the seller and ask some questions, then get some great stuff for much less since the seller doesn't know vinyl jargon, and other collectors stay away from this type of seller.

Jump to: