The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gypsyeyes
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 - 05:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

We aim to please, Takboleh. very happy
You're welcome.

Reply with quote Back to top
gypsyeyes
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 - 10:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

BBC Documentary on History of Rough Trade
80+ minutes of great footage documenting the rise, fall, and return of a label that brought some of the greatest and most inventive sounds into the post-punk world. Interviews with Geoff Travis, Daniel Miller, Mayo Thompson, Raincoats, Robert Wyatt and other key players.

Here>: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2978000173478312519

gypsyeyes
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 - 11:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This is awesome! I have been looking for this one for months. I saw it on TV before Christmas.
David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk Poland 2008 (1 hour 17 minutes)
Click on the rectangle, lower left below video screen, for full screen.

Here:> http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjc3OTAxNDQ=.html

TakbolehOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2009 - 09:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I just manage to get "Jeff Beck:Live at ronnie Scott's" Awesome performances.Waited along time for this DVD!
Jeff kick starts with "Beck's Bolero" and travel thru time.Joss Stone guest on "People get Ready",Imogen Heap guest on"Blanket" & Rollin' and Tumblin" Clapton with"Little Brown Bird"&"You Need Love".
Among the audiences,Brian May,Robert Plant,Jimmy Page,Bon Jovi.MUST SEE!!!

gypsyeyes
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2009 - 11:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'll have to look for that one Takboleh I love Jeff Beck. Very Happy
Meanwhile, I found this.......

THE SEVEN AGES OF ROCK (BBC TWO)

This series was on VH1 Classic today, so I went looking for it.
VERY INTERESTING ! The series is made up of six 60-minute episodes and one 90-minute finale. Here are the lists of episodes with their corresponding genre...... WELL WORTH THE WATCH !
Narrated by the unconventional Dennis Hopper (ya, Easy Rider and so on....)

First a synopsis of each episode......
Part 1 (1963-1970) The Birth of Rock (Blues-based Rock)
"The rock revolution of the 1960s seen through the life and music of Jimi Hendrix. The first doomed icon of rock, Hendrix was the synthesis of everything that had gone before him and all that was to come. The Birth Of Rock also explores the influence of rhythm & blues on a generation of British musicians such as The Rolling Stones, Cream and The Who, and how the song-writing of Bob Dylan and studio developments of The Beatles transformed the possibilities and ambitions of rock."

Part 2 (1966-1980) White Light, White Heat (Art Rock)
"The story of how artistic and conceptual expression permeated rock. From the pop-art multi-media experiments of Andy Warhol and the Velvet Underground to the sinister gentility of Peter Gabriel's Genesis, White Light, White Heat Place traces how rock became a vehicle for artistic ideas and theatrical performance. We follow Pink Floyd from the fated art school genius of Syd Barrett through the global success of Dark Side of the Moon to the ultimate rock theatre show, The Wall. Along the way, the film explores the retro-futurism of Roxy Music and the protean world of David Bowie."

Part 3 (1973-1980) Blank Generation (Punk)
"A tale of two cities, London and New York and the birth of punk. Each city created a bastard child that marked the biggest and fundamental shift in popular music since Elvis walked into Sun Studios. Blank Generation unpicks the relationship between the bankrupt New York and the class and race-riven London of the mid- s and explores the music of The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Ramones, Television, Patti Smith, The Damned and Buzzcocks."

Part 4 1970-1991) Never Say Die (Heavy Metal)
"The story of the longest surviving and certainly the loudest genre of rock, heavy metal. With no sign of disappearing, metal has been the most controversial and misunderstood of all rock genres. Emerging at the tail end of the hippy dream from the rust belt of industrial England, heavy metal would go on to secure the most loyal fan base of all. With Black Sabbath as the undisputed Godfathers, we follow their highs and lows, and, along the journey, meet Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Metallica."

Part 5 (1965-1993) We Are The Champions (Stadium Rock)
"Follows the development of some the biggest names in Rock, among them Queen, Bruce Springsteen, The Police and Dire Straits and shows how, through events such as Live Aid and the rise of MTV, rock achieved a global influence on culture and politics. The film concludes in the early 90s, as U2 effectively brought the era to a close by reinventing the big rock show so completely, that fifteen years later most major rock tours are still pale facsimiles."

Part 6 (1980-1994) Left Of The Dial (US Alternative Rock)
"The rise of alternative rock in the USA. From its early underground days where bands like Black Flag drew inspiration from the DIY ethos of punk, Left Of The Dial traces the history of the network of fans, clubs and fanzines that sustained the scene and launched the careers of bands like REM, The Pixies and Hüsker Dü. The film takes a fresh look at the explosion of the Seattle scene, culminating in the success of Nirvana's 'Nevermind' and the tragic loss of Kurt Cobain, an artist whose triumph and tragedy continues to cast an inescapable shadow."

Part 7 (1980-2007) What the World Is Waiting For (British Indie)
"The story of British indie, beginning with The Smiths, the archetypal indie group. The film follows The Stone Roses as the heirs to the indie crown, Suede's dark sexuality and the media saturation of Brit-pop's Blur v Oasis. What The World Is Waiting For explores how indie ultimately lost its once-cherished intimacy and integrity in front of 250,000 fans at Oasis's Knebworth spectacle in 1996 and how, by returning to its roots in clubs and bars (and even front rooms) with bands such as Franz Ferdinand, The Libertines and The Arctic Monkeys, indie became respectable again."

Follow the instructions at the top of the page. To view in full screen, click on the rectangle in the right hand corner underneath the screen.
AND HERE IT IS:>
http://thumbjig.blogspot.com/2008/09/seven-ages-of-rock-bbc.html

DJRicky45Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2009 - 07:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

While searching something else I recently ran across this little tidbit.
Does any of our members know anything about this film/doc coming out May 23rd. Or is this old news?

http://www.vbs.tv/vice-films/heavy-metal-in-baghdad/home.html

Okay, maybe I should read before I post... LOL
I see this came out in 2007. In that case, did anyone see this?

gypsyeyes
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2009 - 01:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

No DJ , I haven't seen it yet. It does look absorbing though.
I am going to watch it later today.

HEAVY METAL IN BAGHDAD (1:24:20)
RIGHT HERE>: http://www.snagfilms.com/films/watch/heavy_metal_in_baghdad/
Note to everyone,this link may work in the US only, not sure.

...and haven't seen this yet, but intend to later today.
TRUE NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL - FULL LENGTH VERSION
A rough group those Norwegians, must be that Vikings shiite. They sound so inky dinky dinky when they talk, but then again I wouldn't know. very happy
HERE>: http://www.vbs.tv/video.php?id=3009727001

DJRicky45Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2009 - 11:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

COOL Cool
I'll have to give it a listen myself.

Thanks Gypsyeyes

gypsyeyes
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 07, 2009 - 08:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

No problemo !
Didn't know that I could speaka da Spanish, did you ?

gypsyeyes
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 08, 2009 - 08:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Sorry to have to show this in dribs and drabs. This series is difficult to trace. It is on the net, here and there, in bits and pieces. I am bound and determined to post it all as I find all the parts and parts thereof.
The Punk Years (2002) UK
"A definitive history of the music that shook the world, looking at the origins and development of the punk rock movement as a social, historical, political and musical force. The Punk Years celebrates punk as a valid musical genre in its own right, like jazz or blues or soul. Appreciative comment focused on the great cross-section of interviewees and the programme's honesty and integrity in dealing with a highly contentious, and for many people emotional and exciting, art form."

-The Punk Years part 2 of 10 (23:54) - Year Zero - New York's punk scene developed from its roots in Warhol's Factory and The Velvet Underground through to the New York Dolls and venues like Max's Kansas City. We explore how the now legendary CBGB's evolved into a seminal punk club, playing host to the likes of Patti Smith, Blondie, Television, Talking Heads and The Ramones and how the New York scene informed the nascent London punks. HERE>: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2731340518075673940&hl=en

-The Punk Years part 5 of 10 (24:05) - A Riot Of Our Own - - An outraged cry against the rising right wing sentiment in the country and...all » The Punk Years 5/10 - A Riot Of Our Own - - An outraged cry against the rising right wing sentiment in the country and a counter to National Front marches, organizations like the Anti Nazi League and Rock Against Racism formed. The band leading the way in energising punk in a political sense was The Clash, who played an integral role in the Rock Against Racism movement (as did many other punk groups), taking the stage alongside groups like Aswad and further cementing the links between punk and reggae. Anarcho-punk bands like Crass also began to emerge, taking on board anti-nuclear and vegetarian causes in opposition to the right wing politics of Oi! Bands. We discuss the political confusion caused by the mass of ideas thrown into the air by punk. HERE>: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3265931820868325411&hl=en[/b]

Jump to: