The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BgasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2010 - 11:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I think for storage solutions the best option is to buy more than one copy. Then you can file one under Muddy, and one under Waters, etc...

Reply with quote Back to top
camppOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2010 - 01:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Rafter242 wrote:
campp wrote:
This is an interesting thread. I recall people coming into my store looking for Rolling Stones, but they all went to the "S" section first. Then they yell at me "Hey, where are the Stones???" Rolling Eyes

Hey Campp, what store and/or city?

I managed an Everybody's in Seattle ca 1979-1982. I also worked next door at Rubato Records, the local used store, on occasion. Man, do I miss Rubato!

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2010 - 10:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Bgas wrote:
I think for storage solutions the best option is to buy more than one copy. Then you can file one under Muddy, and one under Waters, etc...

Actually you should be filing it under "Morganfield, McKinley" which is his real name. 35 years ago I used to clean his swimming pool in Lemont, Illinois and actually got into a 1/2 hour discussion with him on why shouldn't be putting catfish into the pool because the chlorine was killing them.

As for storage solutions I would recommend either using a database or spreadsheet so you can know where the record was filed. Most folks use Excel and seem to be happy with it. No matter what route you chose I recommend two "columns" or "fields". In my database of over 338,000 entries I call them "artist sort" and "artist". In the above example "artist sort" would be Morganfield, McKinley and "artist" would be Muddy Waters. Here you could add where to look such as "Muddy Waters see "W" "

This becomes quite helpful when you have Rubin and The Jets (Frank Zappa), Paul Kane (Paul Simon), Artie Garr (Art Garfunkel), Tom and Jerry (Simon and Garfunkel), The Four Lovers (The Four Seasons), Bo Peep (Harry Nillson), The Blue Ridge Rangers (John Fogerty), Michael Blessing (Michael Nesmith), Blue Belle (Bessie Smith), etc. the list goes on and on.

Likewise it helps deal with thing like records like a single I have on M-G-M by Burt Ward (Robin on the TV show "Batman"). Sure it should be filed under "W" for Ward but Frank Zappa co-wrote one of the songs and produced this monster.

Likewise it will allow you to know where your filed your LPs by B.B. King and Bobby Bland, was it "B" or was it "K". Depending how far you want to take it something like a "Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young" LP could become 4 entries for David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash and Neil Young.

camppOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2011 - 05:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So today I found a "The Former Glenn Miller Singers" LP. F? G? M?

troggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2011 - 06:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Global_Dog_Productions wrote:
As for storage solutions I would recommend either using a database or spreadsheet so you can know where the record was filed. Most folks use Excel and seem to be happy with it. No matter what route you chose I recommend two "columns" or "fields". In my database of over 338,000 entries I call them "artist sort" and "artist".

Likewise it will allow you to know where your filed your LPs by B.B. King and Bobby Bland, was it "B" or was it "K".

Alternately, you could just look under "B" and "K" in your collection. Seems simpler than cataloging 338,000 records. Wink

Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2011 - 09:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

troggy wrote:
As for storage solutions I would recommend either using a database or spreadsheet so you can know where the record was filed. Most folks use Excel and seem to be happy with it. No matter what route you chose I recommend two "columns" or "fields". In my database of over 338,000 entries I call them "artist sort" and "artist".

Likewise it will allow you to know where your filed your LPs by B.B. King and Bobby Bland, was it "B" or was it "K".

Alternately, you could just look under "B" and "K" in your collection. Seems simpler than cataloging 338,000 records. Wink

So what do you do with "The Whole Burbank Catalog" or for that matter any compilations, here's the listing...

LABEL: WARNER BROS PRO 512
SIDE 1:
"Sgt Preston of the Yukon" Radio Spot
"The Wheel" Jerry Garcia
"It Hurts to Want It So Bad" Arthur Alexander
"Fingers and Toes" Allen Toussaint
"Lavender Dream" Jackie Lomax
"Eagle Rock" Daddy Cool
SIDE 2:
"Manhattan Merry-Go-Round" Radio Spot
"Memphis" Faces
"Nena" Malo
"Show Me a Smile" Fleetwood Mac
"Sweet Dream" Jethro Tull
"Be My Lover" Alice Cooper
SIDE 3: "Inner Sanctum" Radio Spot
"Bang a Gong" (Get It On) T. Rex
"Click Clack" Captain Beefheart
"Biology II" Halfnelson
"Sudan Village" Seals & Crofts
"A Long Time, a Long Way to Go" Todd Rundgren
"Sandman" America
SIDE 4:
"The Lone Ranger" Radio Spot
"William Tell Overture" Wendy Carlos
"Mad! Little" Jerry and the Monotones
"Money Honey" Ry Cooder
"Big Road" Bonnie Raitt
"Bluegreens" William Truckaway
"Howdido" Ramblin' Jack Elliott
"Simple Joys" Kenny Young
"Ukulele Lady" Arlo Guthrie

Under your system you would have to check A,C,E,F,G,H,J,L,M,R,S,T and Y.

And that is isn't counting that in C you are at least checking for Wendy Carlos and Ry Cooder, possibly Alice Cooper, Captain Beefheart, Daddy Cool and Seals and Crofts depending how you decided to store it.

My database is much more that my record collection. I key about a 1000 records into it a week to make webpages. For most people it wouldn't be that big of a deal to key in their collection and cross-reference it so that they actually have a handle of what they own by an artist especially when you throw compilations into the mix.

anthonyvpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2011 - 09:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

V - Various artists and sub listed under warner

Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2011 - 10:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

anthonyvp wrote:
V - Various artists and sub listed under warner

Actually after the alphabet I put all my compilations. But that still brings up that problem of if you are looking for all the records by an artist such as Ry Cooder, Alice Cooper, etc. how will you remember who is on all your compilations? A computer is wonderful for dealing with stuff like that, actually that is what computers were originally made for before Apple and Microsoft made them into toys.

camppOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2011 - 06:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Compilations are an exception to normal alphabetizing. Like others, I file mine after the Z's of that genre, and they are filed by LABEL. So Capitols, then Columbias, then RCAs, etc.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2011 - 07:17 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

So what do you do with "The Whole Burbank Catalog" or for that matter any compilations, here's the listing....
Like anthonyvp said,class. code 'V', then 'Warner Bros.' The various artists can be individually keyed under track titles, but this would require either a separate data base table* or worksheet.

-------------------------
* Linked in a one-to-many relationship.

Jump to: