The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KFAOffline
11 Post subject: A very very ver4y BAD discovery - - - Please Advise  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2009 - 04:36 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,
So It Begins
I suppose I'll try to make this as concise as possible. I've been pulling various LP's out and listening to them lately. I noticed that one of them had a wavy pattern of sorts on the outer vinyl protecting sleeve. I didn't think much of this since I recycle sleeves a lot and figured this could be from anywhere. Moving along - I then played the record and noticed a horrible warp on one edge. I instantly matched this up with the wavy part of the outer sleeve and saw that they pretty much matched.
Fast Forward Pt. 1
So, I noticed that this was primarily the case with a small selection of records from the same two artists that I had bought on or about the same time at the same store and thought they were from a warped collection and I had better do a better job investigating lp's before I purchase them.
Fast Forward Pt. 2
I then noticed that it was not just the same two artists but an entire run of C-E or F of a certain genre.
JUST NOW!!!!
I was making a fun comp tape for a friend an noticed that dozens of LP's not only have the same wavy wrinkle on the protective sleeve, BUT all of the records are warped where the bottom rested AND there looks to be four small, very small pressure points on the vinyl in a row about 1/2 an inch apart! There also appears to be some sort of groove "folding" or something that has caused them to change color.
Here's What I Know/Remember:
I have NEVER stored these records near a heater of any kind. However, they've been stored the same way next to other lp's for some time now.

Finally, my questions:

1) what happened to them?
2) is heat generated by lp's when they're too many next to each other with vinyl sleeves on them?
3) if so, what's a better way or rule of thumb for storing them better?
4) did someone sabotage my lp's?
5) could heat in a room (radiator or other) cause this?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance. I am sort of freaking out. At this point, I can trace about $750.00 worth of damaged (at best) or ruined LP's!

Thanks again,

KFA
Crying or Very sad

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2009 - 07:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This is the kind of thing that scares the crap out of me all the time, i.e. "Hey, I don't remember this record having a warp". I guess it's inevitable that now and then a record will develop a warp, but I have no clues about your situation. Does the sun shine through a window directly onto those records, though? If a radiator is too close, or if the way air circulates in the room might carry the radiator heat over to that spot, maybe that's a culprit. Damn scary, though, and I'm sorry to hear of any collector going through this type of thing.

KFAOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2009 - 08:20 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks for checking in hrtshpdbox (nice handle, nirvana?)
I am still investigating. I do recall that one time I had them on the floor (again nowhere near a heat source) standing properly, but I dunno - - - perhaps there was an "accident" of sorts at my last apartment and I was not aware of the damage.

finally, question 6) If they are in, say those 12.5" x12.5" x12.5" moving boxes and stacked, say 3 high (this is how they were last moved), could THIS maybe be the culprit? weight+pressure+moving=heat? seems like an odd formula, but i'm grasping at straws...

Thanks again,
KFA

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 09:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

[quote="KFA

finally, question 6) If they are in, say those 12.5" x12.5" x12.5" moving boxes and stacked, say 3 high (this is how they were last moved), could THIS maybe be the culprit? weight+pressure+moving=heat? seems like an odd formula, but i'm grasping at straws...

[/quote]

From everything that you've said so far KFA,this might be the culprit,as stacking moving boxes 3 high,could put pressure on the records and cause them to bend a little. How long were they stacked like this ?

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 09:39 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

SID wrote:

From everything that you've said so far KFA,this might be the culprit,as stacking moving boxes 3 high,could put pressure on the records and cause them to bend a little. How long were they stacked like this ?

Yeah, but would weight put ripples into records?

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 09:47 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

hrtshpdbox wrote:
SID wrote:

Yeah, but would weight put ripples into records?

Weight plus heat might.

KFAOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2009 - 06:58 PM
Level 5
Level 5

hey there, SID, i'd say that these might have been ones that were stacked like this in storage (climate controlled, for what its worth) for about 6 months... however, i had about four stacks of them and only one box worth seems to be damaged (i haven't found any others yet and i've been checking them all like crazy!) ALSO, when I moved they were in a truck for about 24 hours or less - would this have done the deed?'

Thanks for your input!
kFA

lampros77Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2009 - 04:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

KFA wrote:
hey there, SID, i'd say that these might have been ones that were stacked like this in storage (climate controlled, for what its worth) for about 6 months... however, i had about four stacks of them and only one box worth seems to be damaged (i haven't found any others yet and i've been checking them all like crazy!) ALSO, when I moved they were in a truck for about 24 hours or less - would this have done the deed?'

Thanks for your input!
kFA

Could it be possible that this box in particular was moved for a while (when cleaning for example) and for that period (hours, days etc) was exposed to some sort of heat?

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 - 11:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It could be the weight stacked on top. For example, one friend of mine advises rotating 45's every so often. He said that in time even the weight of the record itself will cause the edge to flatten to a degree.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 - 02:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

KFA wrote:

Could have,depending on how hot it was,is my guess. Confused

Jump to: