The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
skeelanerOffline
Post subject: Storing your lps  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2009 - 12:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm reorganizing a walk-in closet to store my lps. I have stackable shelves that each hold 140 records. I'm going back and forth as to whether to categorize my records alphabetically OR devote each shelf by decade and/or genre. My closet will limit my space to around 2,000 records, so I won't be getting into the 10k plus range. What do you do? What do you find works best?

Reply with quote Back to top
RecordloveOffline
Post subject: RE: Storing your lps  PostPosted: Mar 22, 2009 - 01:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have grown to dislike many records in my collection. My taste has changed and I have been building this sucker since I was a kid. What I am saying here is if you have a 10k plus collection and can only store 2,000 of them in your closet then I would make that the "essential" section of the collection. The rest can hang in storage till further needed.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Storing your lps  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 - 01:20 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

skeelaner wrote:
... I'm going back and forth as to whether to categorize my records alphabetically OR devote each shelf by decade and/or genre....
The whole point of organization is the ability to locate a particular item quickly, without fuss. Decide which method works best for you. FWIW, I have found that arranging by record label + catalog no. works for me.

If you have a large collection and a customizable data base, you might consider labeling your shelves (or storage boxes) and set up a DB table with fields for location or shelf/box.

B_big.Offline
26 Post subject: A B C . . .  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 - 05:47 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Most of my records are stored in alphabetical order strictly! I've made a very few exceptions only, as there are all of my records of the 'Stiff' label, they're filed by catalog numbers. I shortly discovered a genre [Jazz], I haven't paid much attention to yet, therefore I decided to store them separate. But they're also filed in alphabetical order! I'm currently busy recording all my vinyls in a database, that is taking a lot of my spare time, but nevertheless, I'll keep my records stored in alphabetical order. My collection isn't really huge, just to give you a clue. About 1,500 albums and 2,800 singles.

As you see, there isn't a general way to organize your closet. Each of us has to find out the method, that fits best to him and his expectations.
    Not to forget: Welcome to our club! The place with the biggest funds of knowledge about vinyl-collecting.
    Wink

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

jettboiOffline
Post subject: RE: A B C . . .  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 - 06:11 AM
Level 4
Level 4

I also separate loosely by genre and then alphabetize within that genre. When I have multiple albums by the same artist I organize them by year.

mojo525Offline
Post subject: RE: A B C . . .  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 - 07:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I, like many, arrange by genre, and then file alphabetically within each genre. And while most will tell you the whole idea is to organize your collection in such a way so as to be able to find a particular item as quickly and easily as possible, I must confess that I rarely walk over to my collection with a particular record in mind. I'm much more prone to pick a random shelf -- sometimes a genre -- and flip through until something strikes my fancy. I tend to play my records the same way I look for them at the thrift . . . in scavenger-hunt fashion.
That said: when I DO want to hear a particular record or song, I want to be able to find it quickly. It's annoying as hell flipping-flipping-flipping thinking, "I know it's here somewhere."

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: A B C . . .  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2009 - 11:41 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

All of my Rock/Pop/Folk/Blues/Jazz LPs are together, arranged alphabetically.

Other genres (Soundtracks, Comedy, Childrens, Christmas) and Various Artists compilations are in seperate sections.

I've yet to organize my Classical LPs. I'll be filing those by label and cat. number and using a database to facilitate searches for locating specific soloists, composers, etc...

m_ekOffline
Post subject: RE: A B C . . .  PostPosted: Apr 09, 2009 - 04:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

yep, same here

rock, folk, jazz, soul, etc. all together loosely alphabetically (all the A's are together, all the B's are together - but that's as anal as I've gotten)
my club records - house, techno, drum & bass, etc. are grouped together almost all on the same big Ikea shelf unit as the rock stuff (the entire collection is pretty even in quantity)
the club stuff is organized a lot less than the rock things because they get pulled out and put back as I use them on the fly

the soundtracks, rock compilations, etc. are at the end of the rock (etc.) collection
45s in their own box just sort of mixed in groups of indie rock, funk/soul, misc.

I used to organize everything by height but it proved difficult finding records Wink

m_ekOffline
Post subject: RE: A B C . . .  PostPosted: Apr 09, 2009 - 04:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I do hope one day to separate out all of my Peel Session records and maybe Factory records into stand alone boxes but with the amount I have it's not worth the effort

MotherManiac90Offline
Post subject: RE: A B C . . .  PostPosted: May 27, 2009 - 09:46 PM
Level 2
Level 2

all the records i actually listen to are in metal baskets alphabetical by artist, all genres mixed except show tunes, movie/tv soundtrack, classical, and comedy. i also have a designated "weird sh*t" box that also includes dance records from the 50s and 10" classical LPs. the rest are in my closet on the floor in no real order aside from the box sets. 45s are scattered. not too serious on 45s. as bob dylan said, they're forgettable. they're fun and cheap but meh.

someday i want wooden shelves...

Jump to: