The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vinyllyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: A B C . . .  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 - 01:47 AM
Level 3
Level 3

CactusCowboy wrote:
All of my Rock/Pop/Folk/Blues/Jazz LPs are together, arranged alphabetically.

Other genres (Soundtracks, Comedy, Childrens, Christmas) and Various Artists compilations are in seperate sections.

I've yet to organize my Classical LPs. I'll be filing those by label and cat. number and using a database to facilitate searches for locating specific soloists, composers, etc...Y

Yep, that works best for me too by artist--then I can easily get to the Jethro Tull, Beatles, Yes, Black Sabath, etc. easily. I stick a piece of cardboard in between the large collections I have. But again, I'm only at about 1500 or so.

Reply with quote Back to top
Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: A B C . . .  PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 - 11:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I have had various sorting regimens over the years. Generally alphabetical, but with holdout groupings such as cheesecake or religious or industrial or instructional etc.
Over the years (25+), as my collection is now nearing 15,000 lps, I found the only way to do it is strictly alphabetically.
If AC/DC put out a reggae album with a pin-up on the cover, do you file in under reggae or cheesecake or 'metal' or '80s?
No, just AC/DC. You can add the keywords of cheesecake or reggae in the database to sort and search at your leisure,
but if you are looking for AC/DC you will know exactly where to find it.

erickcOffline
Post subject: Cataloging records  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2009 - 12:02 AM
Level 1
Level 1

I separate my vinyl into several catagories: Rock/pop/RnB, Jazz, Classical, World, other (everything else like childrens, xmas, etc.), then alphabetize within section. Seems easy to catalog stuff this way and you can always find what you are looking for quickly.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2009 - 02:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

The problem I see is that a single artist, actually a single album or even single can have multiple genres of music on it or even be a combination of genres or a grey area as such.

Like religious metal, or jazz rock, or pop punk etc etc.
Or single that may have a swing side and a rab side or throw country into the mix.

If Hayseed Dixie puts out a Christmas album, do you file it under country or metal or Christmas or religious? That's hard to do with only one copy. Which is why I would file it alphabetically and tag it with the appropriate keywords.

GabrielmelvoinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 - 12:52 PM
Level 1
Level 1

the shelves have always worked for me and keeps the lil ones away!

mod79Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2010 - 04:03 AM
Level 4
Level 4

I have my LPs sorted alphabetically according to artist's last name or band name. For me it is the simplest way to find the record I want to hear. Singles are sorted out according to genres in different boxes.

Do you think a person REALLY need 5,000 or 10,000 LPs in their collection? Sure, it is neat, but if you think musicwise? I would say that we SHOULD get along well with 500 records if you only choose the most essential LPs. Also, how has the wifes of the collectors with 10,000 LPs let that happen? I have about 1,000 LPs and my wife is getting scared that our house is turning into an archive or a storage room for records!

miretOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2010 - 12:03 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I know, it's a bit boring to order alphabetically, but that's the only logical way, to sort a larger collection. Everything else are reveries...

digvinylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2010 - 12:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I initally had no sorting and had everything filed alphabetically. However, with albums flowing in on pretty much a weekly basis, I found myself having to rearrange far too often. To keep this from happening as often, I did break stuff out into genres...the genres being...

Rock/Pop
R&B
Folk
Country
Jazz
Comedy
Other (Comps, Soundtracks, Spoken Word, etc)

As far as where certain artists should be categorized, it's not really an issue. It's not like my Donovan albums will be lost if I look for them in Folk first.

And in response to mod, there's no way in hell I could have all the music I want in the space of 500 albums! It's a nice thought, but no way! I'm into the 5,000's now and see stuff I want every week.

MicrogrooveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2010 - 01:58 PM
Level 3
Level 3

For me it's alphabetical with the exception that I store my Blue Note LP's separately and also all various artist LP's I just hate getting into the argument/debate of what genre some artist's are.

ki4mxoOffline
Post subject: RE: A B C . . .  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2011 - 05:09 PM
Level 1
Level 1

i try to keep all of mine in alphabetical order... i havent tried doing my 45's and 78's that way yet.

Jump to: