The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bigfellaOffline
Post subject: Australian price guide....please  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 - 12:04 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All

I have tried to look for a price guide that has Australian pressings listed but to no avail. Does anyone know of a site or publication that covers Australian and or NZ records??? I know we are a small population and probably no one has even bothered with making one but if one exists I would certainly like a copy.

Regards David

Reply with quote Back to top
ewingtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 - 07:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Dave

I too have looked for one but as far as i am aware one has never been produced.

OZ Ebay is a better guide to values these days though it is hardly ever accurate but at least it gives a guide and is better than nothing.
That said, if you were to produce something you can list me as a potential buyer.
regards
Steve

bigfellaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 - 06:24 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Steve

Although not a price guide Chris Spencer has several publications about Australian Records. My Favorite is The Whos Who of Australian Rock and Roll, it has every band and artist who ever released any type of record, CD, Tape etc even demos. It is a reference tool that I use every day. I had heard that he was thinking of doing some type of price guide but as yet he has not put it out, it must be a very hard job. He has a lot of stuff on the net which I google his name on an Australian search and a whole list of stuff pops up, great reading.

Regards David

Phil001Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 - 09:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Steve, I must disagree regarding ebay, I constantly see records going for way over what they are worth. I have thought why this may be and come to the conclusion that due to the vast distances between our cities and the scattered nature of the population, many releases never reached Broken Hill or Coober Pedy (You can substitute any town name here!) ..So with the advent of the internet a lot of people have the ability to now buy these records that previously they could only get when they visited the city, This may lead them to believe a release is rarer than it really is and therefore are prepared to pay what I consider artificially high prices...This mainly applies to Internet only. Most physical record stores I have visited seem to have a similar pricing policy to within a few dollars.

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2009 - 03:10 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Phil001 wrote:
Steve, I must disagree regarding ebay, I constantly see records going for way over what they are worth.

I don't think so, I think interest is building and the fact that ready availability is occuring next to increasing prices is a sign of that.

Phil001Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2009 - 07:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOB-MARLEY-THE-WAILERS-KAYA-UK-LP-BEAUT-SCARCE_W0QQitemZ190296276872QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Records?hash=item190296276872&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A16|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Loads of these available at around $20.00.......

bommierockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2009 - 10:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Phil001 wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOB-MARLEY-THE-WAILERS-KAYA-UK-LP-BEAUT-SCARCE_W0QQitemZ190296276872QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Records?hash=item190296276872&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A16|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Loads of these available at around $20.00.......

thats unbelievable that someones paying that price for Kaya.

Leon

dillonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2009 - 04:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

try looking at www.trademe.co.nz. its new zealands ebay. mostly new zealand and aussie vinyl. some people won't sell to the aussies but you just ask. but theres some realistic prices on there that arnt inflated by the words "rare aussie/ mega rare nz" pressing. don't think overseas bidders are allowed to trade. which helps us out as theyd be able to pay double what we can afford. Laughing

KiwigoldOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 04, 2009 - 08:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I have in the past flicked off a few emails regarding price guides downunder and there appears to be nothing at this stage, basically demand dictates the price.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Australian price guide....please  PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 - 12:28 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

bigfella wrote:
I have tried to look for a price guide that has Australian pressings listed but to no avail....
Opportunity knocks. A market apparently exists, for one willing to take advantage of it.

Jump to: