The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zenboneOffline
Post subject: neely price guide question  PostPosted: Apr 09, 2009 - 10:23 PM
Level 4
Level 4

does the neely price guide (5th edition goldmine record album price guide) have prices for 45's? if no is there a different book out there i should seek? i have a bunch of 45's and after reading the "to sell or not to sell" discussion i figured i better look up some of these obscure 45's i have (dreaming of the $1,000 ones but knowing i have the 25cent ones) Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Re: neely price guide question  PostPosted: Apr 09, 2009 - 11:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

zenbone wrote:
does the neely price guide (5th edition goldmine record album price guide) have prices for 45's? if no is there a different book out there i should seek? i have a bunch of 45's and after reading the "to sell or not to sell" discussion i figured i better look up some of these obscure 45's i have (dreaming of the $1,000 ones but knowing i have the 25cent ones) Very Happy

It's called AN ALBUM GUIDE. You want the 45 Guide. Make sure you do a completed EBay Auction search. And check this http://www.popsike.com/index.html.
I think the Neely Guides should be mostly used for kindling.

TradefolderOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: neely price guide question  PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 12:18 AM
Level 5
Level 5

He does a 45 guide too. The prices are pretty much trash. There is some good information in there though.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 06:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I use his 45 guide, along with Osborne's; when Neely actually does include a group, his discography is better than Osborne's. Even with prices, there's some merit to Neely - if he says a 45 is worth 200 dollars, for instance, it's likely to be worth at least 20 (though, just as with Osborne, if he says it's worth 10 dollars it might actually be worth 200).

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 06:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
I use his 45 guide, along with Osborne's; when Neely actually does include a group, his discography is better than Osborne's. Even with prices, there's some merit to Neely - if he says a 45 is worth 200 dollars, for instance, it's likely to be worth at least 20 (though, just as with Osborne,
Quote:
if he says it's worth 10 dollars it might actually be worth 200).

That's what I don't like about the price guide. And why list stuff that has little, to no market value. It's a price guide, not a music rating guide.

troggyOffline
Post subject: Re: neely price guide question  PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 05:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

zenbone wrote:
i have a bunch of 45's and after reading the "to sell or not to sell" discussion i figured i better look up some of these obscure 45's i have

If you have stuff that's truly obscure, you can pretty much forget about Neely's 45 guide. If it's only obscure because it's stuff that's not on the radio every 15 minutes, then you might give him a go, realizing that his listed values are often ridiculously high.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 07:39 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

vinylhound wrote:
... And why list stuff that has little, to no market value. It's a price guide, not a music rating guide.
Every author wants his book to sell well. I'd think that (nearly) all record collectors are interested in the "book value" of their holdings -- even if it's only to find whether there is a demand for what they have -- and, by listing the more commonly-found records, the price guide compiler hopes to increase sales of his book. Besides which, it's difficult to establish "values" for the truly obscure or extremely hard-to-find records.

Jump to: