The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2009 - 11:12 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

here´s more photos from label and inserts ...

Reply with quote Back to top
prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2009 - 11:42 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I am the firs tin the row for that Wigwam record Kimmo

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2009 - 12:23 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Peter, you are noted! Very Happy

metrognome
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2009 - 09:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks for this review, Kimmo. FromPhilly has this one in his collection. I think he played it for me once when I visited him, but I don't really remember it.

I still only have Wigwam's Nuclear Nightclub, which you sent me a few years ago. I have not listened to that one in a while, so I think I will put it on tonight.

That Jim Pembroke guy was an interesting character, if his lyrics are any indication.

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2009 - 10:21 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

you´re wlecome, metro. I am to review Nuclear Nightclub later on.

You are right about Pembroke - he´s quite character.

TakbolehOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2009 - 09:23 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks for the inside review, Kimmo.I got Wigwam's "The Lucky Golden Stripes and Starpose" on UK Virgin records.It was release sometime in 1976 two years later.It's a great album love it.How many Lps did they released? How would you rate this album to "Being"

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 - 04:25 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

thanks takboleh, happy to hear!

Lucky Golden Stars compared to Being - well, a bit "unfair" competition, kind of, as the two Wigwam´s, the Being - line-up against Starpose ( where Peka Pohjola and Jukka Gustavsson were gone, and a couple new players had step in ) the idea of writing songs and play is quite different. Where Being is more like concept, theme centered prog, Starpose and new line-up has a bit more easier approach, more poppy. But that does not make Starpose bad, i like it too - for example Colossus is great track! ANother thing that differs between these two album is that Being line-up didn´t use guitar. Later line-up, Pekka Rechardt took a guitar part as the wholetime member of the band ( earlier albums, there was Jukka Tolonen who did guitars, but he was never official member of the group ) ...

Wigwam released 8 albums plus some compilations. Out of 8 four first were more or less done by original line-up ( well, to be accurate, first album, Hard And Horny, had couple members which were out from the second, Tombstone Valentine ) ... Pembroke-Österberg-Pohjola-Gustavsson, and later Pembroke-Österberg-Groundstroem-Rechard-Hietanen ...

there are some who likes more about the original, more prog/theme kind of Wigwam, and some like more the later line-up works. To me, i like both sides of the band.

metrognome
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 - 09:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I have listened to Nuclear Nightclub probably 7 or 8 times since Kimmo posted his review. I had totally forgotten about this record and how good it was. It's not as "prog" as I had hoped when I originally received it, but it's quite good nonetheless. It reminds me a bit of Camel, which is one of my favorite bands.

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 24, 2009 - 09:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Really enjoying your reviews, Kimmo.

Metrognome is correct...I do have this in my collection. My two personal favorites by Wigwam are Tombstone Valentine (a perfect record, IMO) & Fairyport, but Being is definitely a good one as well. Nice that you have the gatefold edition with the inserts. Those are definitely hard to come by.

You don't by chance have a copy of Hard 'N' Horny with the hand-drawn cover, do you?

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

Last edited by fromphilly1247 on Jun 24, 2009 - 09:53 AM; edited 1 time in total

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 24, 2009 - 09:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

metrognome wrote:
I have listened to Nuclear Nightclub probably 7 or 8 times since Kimmo posted his review. I had totally forgotten about this record and how good it was. It's not as "prog" as I had hoped when I originally received it, but it's quite good nonetheless. It reminds me a bit of Camel, which is one of my favorite bands.

If you like this album, I would definitely recommend Lucky Stripes and Starpose from the following year. It's essentially the same lineup but a better album, IMO. It's not that difficult to find, either as it was also released in the UK on Virgin, albeit with a different cover than its Finnish counterpart.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

Jump to: