The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
prancinghorseOffline
Post subject: Krautrock  PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 12:17 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Okay, as Kimmo started a review series (at least I hope it will become a series) about Finish music I volunteered to provide some “insight” into Krautrock (and I hope that at some point of time dkurtis or metronome might jump in to support – this of course does NOT exclude anybody else from participating).

As a matter of surprise I have NOT chosen Kin Ping Meh’s s/t debut album as my first review – I opted for one of the predecessors of that band..

Twenty Sixty Six & Then – Reflections of the future

Released on
- United Artists UAS 29 314 in 1972
Re-issues on
- Second Battle Treasuries 001 in 1991
- Second Battle SB LP 068 (Double LP with bonus live LP) in 2008
- Second Battle SB001 (single LP, coloured vinyl, 100 copies) in 2008

Original are very expensive (NM copies in the area of 500 Euros) and the re-issues also require some investment, the 1991 reissue approx 70 Euros, the 2008 double LP easily breaking the 100 Euros mark and the colour vinyl version fet¢hing again 70 Euros.

The re-issue from 1991 got a different name (“Reflections of the past”) by the way as the original master tapes were unavailable at this time (believe it or not, nobody could find them way back then) and contain earlier (and to a certain extend also longer) versions of the same titles.

Line-up for this album (the only one the band actually released):
- Cagey Mrozeck (Guitar)
- Dieter Bauer (Bass)
- Veit Mavros (Keyboards, Vibes, Synthesizer, Mellotron)
- Steve Robinson (Keyboards, Vibes, Synthesizer, Mellotron) *
- Konstantin Bommarius (Drums)
- Geff Harrison (Vocals)

The album was recorded at Dierks Studios in Stommeln (close to Cologne) and you can identify Dieter Dierks engineering easily on occasion (listen to the end of the title track for example).

The band can not deny their roots being somewhere in the area of british bands like Deep Purple or Uriah Heep, music driven by two keyboard players (who use a synthesizer or a Mellotron on occasion as well) joined by guitar and bass and on top of that the “rasp voice” of Geff Harrison.

“At my home” opens the album and this is an up-tempo track with heavy guitar play and extensive Hammond organ usage. The next rack is “Autumn” which features a lot of Mellotron (especially during the quieter passages in the middle). This song shows some influence from classical arrangements as well and thus is a little bit the “outsider” on this album. “Butterking” can not deny that the person responsible for the lyrics used some mind expanding stuff and in opposition to other tracks here both organs and the guitar are used slower (but even heavier). The title track “Reflections of the future” then is a 15 minutes masterpiece with some brilliant instrumental excursions where different keyboards “battle” each other for minutes. “How do you feel” then closes the album with an amazing arrangement of vocals (Harrison, Mavros and Robinson singing).

Unluckily Twenty Sixty Six & Then only existed for approx. 15 month (spring 1971 until summer 1972) and disbanded after the unsuccessful debut album – the members joined other Krautrock bands subsequently who’s names read like the “who is who” of Krautrock (Kin Ping Meh, Nine Days Wonder, Aera, Emergency, Tiger B. Smith, Midnight Circus, Karthago…)

Feedback would be higly appreciated as this is actually the first review I have ever composed.

*Real name is Rainer Geyer by the way

Reply with quote Back to top
dkurtis
Post subject: RE: Krautrock  PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 01:35 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Sad

As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back
And laugh
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.
-Epitaph-

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 02:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Another interesting record,which I 've never seen. And it sounds good too ! Will keep my eyes open for this one.......of course ,most likely the reissue ! Cool

dkurtis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 03:27 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I purchased about 50 reissue cds of Krautrock in the mid to late 90s to help explore the world of
Krautrock music untill I could find them on vinyl - this is one that I still only own the cd on.
Vinyl reissues are still popping up in the new release market. Keep your eyes open for
those well mastered reissues on $500 records.

As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back
And laugh
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.
-Epitaph-

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 03:44 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

i thank Peter for taking Krautrock under reviews, as that is area i am really interested in, so thi is more than welcomed issue to discuss and introduce!

I recently read and learn about Twenty, so a good start this is!

metrognome
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2009 - 08:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Well done, Peter. I think I have one song from the 1991 reissue on a tape Uncle Hippie made me, but I may be thinking of a different band.

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2009 - 09:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks, Peter. Really looking forward to more reviews.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

Baron_Saturday
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2009 - 04:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I used to have a decent condition German original of this LP. One of the best rock albums ever imo.

Question: Is the 2008 reissue from the original master tapes?, If so, is it also available on CD?

TakbolehOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 - 07:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Great review! Thanks

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 - 02:40 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Baron_Saturday wrote:
I used to have a decent condition German original of this LP. One of the best rock albums ever imo.

Question: Is the 2008 reissue from the original master tapes?, If so, is it also available on CD?

For the 2008 pressings they used the original master tapes again - don't know where they got them from but that pressing sound definitely different (you can guess from that that I do not own an original). There is a CD version around as well but to be honest I do not know whether this one is still available..

Jump to: