The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 - 10:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Jun 10, 2008
Posts: 1734

Status: Offline
I am not that familiar with the Small Faces, but am very familiar with the Faces. Both groups are largely forgotten today. For those that can stand listening to CD's, Five Guys Walk In To A Bar is a very good box set. I would give it four stars because there is a lot of raw demo cuts that I just don't care for. But it's still worthy, and represents much of the catalogue.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
dillonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 - 07:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Apr 21, 2007
Posts: 268

Status: Offline
vinylhound wrote:
I am not that familiar with the Small Faces, but am very familiar with the Faces..


Really....that seems a little odd. nice vinyls philly Cool i got the first 2 albums on original NZ decca, with about 3 decca singles from memory. they are pretty much the same as thee english vinyls just the labels are orange and the back covers print is in black and white. haven't listened to them in years, might dig em out! my opinion their decca stuff is better than their immediate stuff. but that stuff still kicks arse!
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
B_big.Offline
Post subject: Re: Small Faces Part 1- The Decca Recordings (1965-1967)  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 - 05:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR


Joined: Mar 04, 2006
Posts: 10691
Location: Berlin/Germany/Europe
Status: Offline
fromphilly1247 wrote:
. . . I realize that to many of our European members, the Small Faces may not be considered an obscurity . . .
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Quite the contrary, they have been one of the most influential band of the late 60's. Some folks concede them a major roll in creating the 'Psych' genre. For me personally they have been the most important rock-band, beside the 'Rolling Stones', in the 60's, when I was a teenage boy. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy records in the early days of "Beat-music", but I managed to buy a nice bunch of their early singles during my flea market forays in the early 70's, for little money!
    I have to confess, I'm envious when I see your original albums on UK Decca, but nowadays they're horrible expensive. Therefore I comfort myself with the singles and the re-issue of their first album.

    'Ogden's Nut Gone Flake', their 1968 Immediate album, belongs to the most influential concept recordings of all time, and has helped to assure their image to be one the first psychedelic band at that time, and certainly they were Britain's best!

    Thanks for recalling the memories at one of the world's most important rock bands of all time.
    Very Happy

_________________
.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe
 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 - 08:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Jun 10, 2008
Posts: 1734

Status: Offline
dillon wrote:
vinylhound wrote:
I am not that familiar with the Small Faces, but am very familiar with the Faces..


Really....that seems a little odd. nice vinyls philly Cool i got the first 2 albums on original NZ decca, with about 3 decca singles from memory. they are pretty much the same as thee english vinyls just the labels are orange and the back covers print is in black and white. haven't listened to them in years, might dig em out! my opinion their decca stuff is better than their immediate stuff. but that stuff still kicks arse!


Why would it seem odd. These guys again are largely forgotten. Stones fans would be familiar with them, sure, but outside of that? As the original poster said they never got the exposure. The Faces did tour the U.S.. But by the early 80's when radio played much more 60's, 70's rock then now, they never got airplay. I can't recall them getting much airplay in the late 70's.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
dillonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 - 06:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Apr 21, 2007
Posts: 268

Status: Offline
vinylhound wrote:
dillon wrote:
vinylhound wrote:
I am not that familiar with the Small Faces, but am very familiar with the Faces..


Really....that seems a little odd. nice vinyls philly Cool i got the first 2 albums on original NZ decca, with about 3 decca singles from memory. they are pretty much the same as thee english vinyls just the labels are orange and the back covers print is in black and white. haven't listened to them in years, might dig em out! my opinion their decca stuff is better than their immediate stuff. but that stuff still kicks arse!


Why would it seem odd. These guys again are largely forgotten. Stones fans would be familiar with them, sure, but outside of that? As the original poster said they never got the exposure. The Faces did tour the U.S.. But by the early 80's when radio played much more 60's, 70's rock then now, they never got airplay. I can't recall them getting much airplay in the late 70's.


largely forgotten?......they were as big if not bigger than the who in their decca years.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
cococrispOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 - 07:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Sep 30, 2004
Posts: 1207
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Status: Offline
dillon wrote:


largely forgotten?......they were as big if not bigger than the who in their decca years.


That would be somewhat of a stretch. In the UK during that time span you refer to, The Who had 2 top 10 LP's, The Small Faces 1. The Who had 7 top 10 singles, Small Faces 4.*

This also is not including in the United States where the Small Faces were virtually unknown at this time.

*Guinness British Hit Singles & Albums Volume 18
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 - 08:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Jun 01, 2006
Posts: 2235
Location: Lost in time...
Status: Offline
"Itchykoo Park" & "Lazy Sunday" are standards on Oz AM radio. Enough so that I was fed up with the Small Faces before I knew much of them.

I've developed a bit of an interest lately so this thread is pretty helpful, thanks Philly.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
dillonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 - 11:04 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Apr 21, 2007
Posts: 268

Status: Offline
cococrisp wrote:
dillon wrote:


largely forgotten?......they were as big if not bigger than the who in their decca years.


That would be somewhat of a stretch. In the UK during that time span you refer to, The Who had 2 top 10 LP's, The Small Faces 1. The Who had 7 top 10 singles, Small Faces 4.*

This also is not including in the United States where the Small Faces were virtually unknown at this time.

*Guinness British Hit Singles & Albums Volume 18


your prob right. sounds as if the states missed the boat with the small faces. mastermind, you got any aussie decca? im interested to see the difference between the two.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
lamasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 - 09:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Oct 09, 2008
Posts: 2822
Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
Status: Offline
Quote:

Note: the picture sleeve below is actually a Danish single


Hi fromphilly - Does that mean you are a British release short and made do with a Danish copy ?

_________________
CASH BOX SINGLES CHART
http://cashboxmagazine.com/archives/50s_files/50s.html
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2009 - 07:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR


Joined: Aug 21, 2003
Posts: 1936
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Status: Offline
lamas wrote:
Quote:

Note: the picture sleeve below is actually a Danish single


Hi fromphilly - Does that mean you are a British release short and made do with a Danish copy ?


The single that accompanies that sleeve is actually a UK pressing (I believe they were all like that) but it contains the original version of the a-side.

Glad to see so many of you are enjoying this. I'm still working on Part 2.

_________________
The rain keeps crawling down the glass
The good times never seem to last
Close your eyes and let the thought pass

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968
 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 The PNphpBB Group
Credits