The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
feldsoldatOffline
Post subject: German Military Band Music - Anyone Interested ?  PostPosted: Apr 28, 2009 - 09:38 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post...

I collect LPs of German Military Band Music. The "golden age" for this genre was between about 1957 and about 1980, when many LPs were produced by the leading German labels such as Polydor, Telefunken, Electrola and Ariola.

After about 1980 this genre declined in popularity and is now reduced to a small niche interest. Inevitably it is associated in some minds with the warlike tendency in German history, as military music was prominent at parades especially in the Nazi era. This is an unfortunate association - military music has a long pedigree in German culture (paralleling classical music) and its prevalence in 1933 - 1945 was as much due to improvements in recording technology as to politics...

Does anyone else collect this material ? I'm mainly interested in the LPs recorded in the 60s and 70s, and would be keen to compare notes with others.

Best wishes to you all.

John.

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: German Military Band Music - Anyone Interested ?  PostPosted: Apr 28, 2009 - 10:15 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Welcome to the RCG John!

I can't say that I've got any German Military Band Music from that time frame. About a half dozen reissue/compiliation LPs of music from the WWII era, that's about it.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: German Military Band Music - Anyone Interested ?  PostPosted: Apr 29, 2009 - 12:02 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

feldsoldat wrote:
... when many LPs were produced by the leading German labels such as Polydor, Telefunken, Electrola and Ariola....
I have seen a fair number of these titles on Decca/London (and subsidiary labels) as well. US Capitol issued a few of these in their International series, but the source of the masters is the W. German EMI (Electrola) catalog. Interesting music, but not my preference for heavy rotation. I see these occasionally at thrift shops, and don't mind buying them provided condition and price warrant purchase.

feldsoldatOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: German Military Band Music - Anyone Interested ?  PostPosted: Apr 29, 2009 - 03:48 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks to you both for your helpful comments!

Yes, quite a bit of this material was issued in the USA on labels such as LONDON, CAPITOL and - especially - FIESTA. The masters all came from the several German labels I mentioned.

More feedback welcome...

Thanks,

John.

CH2CHOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: German Military Band Music - Anyone Interested ?  PostPosted: Apr 29, 2009 - 07:25 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Hey Welcome to the guild. I have quite a few German military march albums as well! Didn't think that anyone else would be interested.
All of the ones I have are from US labels. Most are in the 1960-1970 range.

Hitler's Inferno LPA2445 1960 Audio Rarities, INC
Hitler's Inferno Volume 2 AM2450 1961 Audio Fidelity, INC (must have changed company name?)
Thats the best That I have.

CH2:CH; -- called also vinyl. See Vinyl.
[1913 Webster]

CH2CHOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: German Military Band Music - Anyone Interested ?  PostPosted: Apr 29, 2009 - 07:35 PM
Level 5
Level 5

FIgure I'd mention that I also Have 10 or so German Drinking Music/Oktoberfest albums from about the same time period.
I try to keep my Heritage close. lol

CH2:CH; -- called also vinyl. See Vinyl.
[1913 Webster]

feldsoldatOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: German Military Band Music - Anyone Interested ?  PostPosted: May 03, 2009 - 04:44 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for telling me!

Hang onto those 2 LPs of "Hitler's Inferno" - they are ultra-rare and would command a high price...

More feedback welcome. Thanks to you all so far.

John.

Jump to: