The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zb420Offline
Post subject: Bob Smith and The Visit - Original Acetate  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2012 - 01:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm probably going to get rid of this soon.

I have no idea of the value, as it is the only one known in existence, does anyone else?

Before Bob changed the name of the band to Bob Smith and the Visit it was called Silverskin.

We did this acetate at Columbia

Songs include
"Before and Before"
"Can You Jump Rope"
"All You Needed"

Plus what is on this side...it is a 2 sided acetate.

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Bob Smith and The Visit - Original Acetate  PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 06:59 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

zb420 wrote:
... I have no idea of the value, as it is the only one known in existence, does anyone else?
Without a sales record, it is difficult to give a realistic estimate a particular item's "value". Is Silverskin or Bob Smith a collectible artist? I would think that the only way you will know for certain is to offer it in a well-publicized auction, and let the market (if any) determine the "value".

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 07:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

so this was made after the Kent lbl? My guide said that one was from '69...

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 07:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

If I had this item with no sales history along with sealed copies of THE VISIT, I'd be inclined to contact a well known and respected ebay dealer like Bob Djukic to ask if he takes consignement and what the fees will be, plus what his expectations might be. He's got a lot of high dollar collectors on his client list. We do already know that THE VISIT could sell for $500 or $600 or even more, but Djukic might get much more. You'll get less, but the records will probably sell for much more.

I have never contacted Djukic. I've just watched his auctions sell really well.

BgasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 12:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:
If I had this item with no sales history along with sealed copies of THE VISIT, I'd be inclined to contact a well known and respected ebay dealer like Bob Djukic to ask if he takes consignement and what the fees will be, plus what his expectations might be. He's got a lot of high dollar collectors on his client list. We do already know that THE VISIT could sell for $500 or $600 or even more, but Djukic might get much more. You'll get less, but the records will probably sell for much more.

I have never contacted Djukic. I've just watched his auctions sell really well.

Yeah, well I've contacted him when he's had Beach Boys listings with errors in them. He's an as***le that knows everything and doesn't like to be corrected( and won't be)

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 - 07:29 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Some sources say that Don Preston and Daryl Dragon joined after the band name changed.
It would be worthwhile to determine whether the versions of the songs on the acetate are the same as the versions of most of the songs on "The Visit."
It would also be worthwhile to learn, particularly, whether Don Preston appears on the acetate.

The album itself goes for several hundred. An early acetate could go for much more IF Preston is on there.
Also, if the unrecognized song titles are unreleased tracks (and not just working titles of songs on the regular LP), that would add even more value.

Jump to: