The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fireflite
Post subject: Charles Gounod on MET  PostPosted: May 21, 2009 - 10:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Anybody know anything about this? It was donated to me a while ago and I know almost nothing about classical music albums. I'd like to dispose of it suitably.

Its sealed so I have no idea how many albums are in it , it has no cat #, nice felt/velvet cover with gold stamping.
The only thing on the spine not on the cover is SAYAO*BJOERLING*COOPER
T

Met.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.64 KB
 Viewed:  161 Time(s)

Met.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
MacJazzOffline
Post subject: RE: Charles Gounod  PostPosted: May 21, 2009 - 08:57 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Met sealed with Bjoerling Sayao etc. is fairly good. If it is LPs it is probably 3. Assume it is the full performance. Sayao was the lead Soprano, Bjoerligh was the lead tenor. I don't know Cooper but assume it was the alto or the bass. Gounod is French, late 1800's, mostly opera (althouogh I like his Symphony in C) He is not considered one of the very best, although his Faust is part of the regular repertoire.

I have no idea as to value, but there should be comps on EBay. Good luck with it.

Fireflite
Post subject: Gounod  PostPosted: May 21, 2009 - 09:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Couldn't find anything. Ebay, Popsike, Google or under the bed.

What's with the Met Label, no Cat #. Were they financed privately by The Met?

T

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Gounod  PostPosted: May 22, 2009 - 12:30 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Fireflite wrote:
... What's with the Met Label, no Cat #. Were they financed privately by The Met?
They were Metropolitan Opera productions*, not made available through normal retail channels, but sold to Met subscribers on a similar basis to record club issues. I have only come across a couple of these over the years. Depending upon the soloist(s) some of these can be quite collectible, as nearly all are performances not found on the 'major labels' opera catalogs. JMO but I'd think that Bidú Sayão and Jussi Björling nearly, but don't quite, reach that level of collectibility.

-------------------------
* I believe they were all radio broadcasts sponsored by Texaco. There used to be a lively trade in pirated (reel tape) copies of opera broadcasts, mainly in Europe.

Fireflite
Post subject: Charles Gounod  PostPosted: May 22, 2009 - 10:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks both of you I did actually find some similar on PopsikeI just wasn't looking in the right place before.

I particularly dislike Ebay -the hassle usually isn't worth it. So go to records and anyone who wants to make a reasonable offer its yours

T

Jump to: