The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 18, 2009 - 06:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

mycubiclerocks wrote:
And JTTP, man that's a weird film. Some great footage and moments, but the storyline is far too much for some people to handle. The more I watch it the more I understand it (...I think) Laughing

One scene I clearly remember is Neil stopping his vintage car in the middle of a country path; he and Carrie get out and sit on the hood and silently pass a big joint for about ten minutes - the only sound is an occasional chirping bird. The 17-year-old me was thinking, "now this is cinema!".

Reply with quote Back to top
DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 18, 2009 - 06:39 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Three Bills?
Worth every cent.

skeelanerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 18, 2009 - 08:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You sold me on your review! Much better than the one Rolling Stone mag gave.
I'm a huge Neil fan & at some point I'll pony up the $$$.

mycubiclerocksOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 18, 2009 - 09:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
mycubiclerocks wrote:
And JTTP, man that's a weird film. Some great footage and moments, but the storyline is far too much for some people to handle. The more I watch it the more I understand it (...I think) Laughing

One scene I clearly remember is Neil stopping his vintage car in the middle of a country path; he and Carrie get out and sit on the hood and silently pass a big joint for about ten minutes - the only sound is an occasional chirping bird. The 17-year-old me was thinking, "now this is cinema!".

One of my favorite pieces in the whole package is an outtake from JTTP, where Neil goes into a record shop late at night and finds a CSNY bootleg which he insists on raising hell over, and ends up walking away with it without paying. Needless to say there's a whole scene made of it, and it's probably a good 15mins worth of footage. It's hilarious! Laughing

digvinylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 18, 2009 - 12:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I saw this in Best Buy last weekend, didn't even know it had been released. Looks super cool but all I can think of is how much great vinyl I can get for the money. Confused The one I saw at Best Buy was $349.99, I believe. After looking at the price tag, I stopped looking at it!!

I was actually there to pick up the super deluxe release of Woodstock. More reasonably priced, to be sure! Can't wait to check that out.

mycubiclerocksOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 18, 2009 - 01:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

digvinyl wrote:

I was actually there to pick up the super deluxe release of Woodstock. More reasonably priced, to be sure! Can't wait to check that out.

I really want to get that as well. Razz

OnTheRecordOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 18, 2009 - 04:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I am listening to a re-conditioned Isaac Hayes 8-track, “Chocolate Chip.”

The sound is phenomenal, and frankly, it is difficult to imagine the so-called “ultra-high resolution” Blu-Ray 24-bit / 192 kHz stereo PCM coming anywhere near the 3 ¾ IPS, analog, 1/32 inch-wide tracks of discreet Stereo, left and right channels, on 4 high fidelity programs.

I think Neil really missed the boat in not offering his Archive in the legacy 8-track media, spread over approximately 1,642 8-track cartridges (video could have been handled with 16mm sound film, with around 500 16mm film cans – that would be the large 20” variety, it goes without saying).

Thoughts?

SillypsybinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2009 - 02:09 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Well, I for one thought that Neil made a HUGE mistake when he remixed and remastered his first solo record. I never bought any other Neil Young records after he did that.

Of course he went on to make millions, so what do I know?????

Really, I LOVE those earlier mixes.... wall of sound (hey I like muddy mixes, what can I say).... beautifully arranged and orchestrated....

Put THAT on the 8 track, and I'll buy it!!!!!

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2009 - 02:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

OnTheRecord wrote:
I am listening to a re-conditioned Isaac Hayes 8-track, “Chocolate Chip.”

The sound is phenomenal, and frankly, it is difficult to imagine the so-called “ultra-high resolution” Blu-Ray 24-bit / 192 kHz stereo PCM coming anywhere near the 3 ¾ IPS, analog, 1/32 inch-wide tracks of discreet Stereo, left and right channels, on 4 high fidelity programs.

I think Neil really missed the boat in not offering his Archive in the legacy 8-track media, spread over approximately 1,642 8-track cartridges (video could have been handled with 16mm sound film, with around 500 16mm film cans – that would be the large 20” variety, it goes without saying).

Thoughts?

Would it also come with its own forklift to get it home? Reconditioned 8-tracks, huh? Let me ask you: how many of the tracks on that Isaac tape fade and continue on the next track? There were so many flaws with that medium it was unbelievable. I was always amazed that they sold as well as they did back in the 70's.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2009 - 11:09 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

fromphilly1247 wrote:
... There were so many flaws with that medium it was unbelievable. I was always amazed that they sold as well as they did back in the 70's.
Lotsa cars sold with 8-track players built-in.

Jump to: