The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Columbia Masterworks Preview Kits  PostPosted: Jun 30, 2009 - 06:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Found three of these today. I think I may have seen them before. They come with a preview record with a Narrator describing the music/artist and playing parts. The neat thing is they come in these book like sleeves with a clear front with proof covers of many of the classical record being released. Dozen+ Sleeves front and back. Almost like a record sleeve slick, but not quite. It states that they are proofs. I thought they were quite interesting. Anybody familiar with them?

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Columbia Masterworks Preview Kits  PostPosted: Jun 30, 2009 - 11:03 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

vinylhound wrote:
... The neat thing is they come in these book like sleeves with a clear front with proof covers of many of the classical record being released. Dozen+ Sleeves front and back. Almost like a record sleeve slick, but not quite. It states that they are proofs....
I am not familiar with these Masterworks in particular, but other labels have offered either promo sampler LPs or press kits with reproductions of the featured albums' cover slicks -- notably Capitol/Angel and Elektra.

Are any of these issues in the Masterworks "Sound of Genius" (SOG) series or the Audition Quarterly Sound Magazine series?

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject: Re: Columbia Masterworks Preview Kits  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2009 - 08:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
vinylhound wrote:
... The neat thing is they come in these book like sleeves with a clear front with proof covers of many of the classical record being released. Dozen+ Sleeves front and back. Almost like a record sleeve slick, but not quite. It states that they are proofs....
I am not familiar with these Masterworks in particular, but other labels have offered either promo sampler LPs or press kits with reproductions of the featured albums' cover slicks -- notably Capitol/Angel and Elektra.

Quote:
Are any of these issues in the Masterworks "Sound of Genius" (SOG) series or the Audition Quarterly Sound Magazine series?

I do not know. These date to the mid, and late 50's. Condition is off a bit, but they are still quite nice.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Columbia Masterworks Preview Kits  PostPosted: Jul 02, 2009 - 07:13 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

vinylhound wrote:
I do not know. These date to the mid, and late 50's. Condition is off a bit, but they are still quite nice.
Interesting: I'm not familiar with these, then. The Masterworks "Audition" promos I referred to date from the mid-1960s, and the SOG issues from the late 1960s.

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2009 - 09:10 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

All of the proof sleeves would have been issued as Six Eyes or Earlier. I have seen these before but it was a few years ago before I knew something about Classical. I am not sure what the market is for them. I think they do not sell for much. Classical fans want a particular Artist/Pressing/Performance.

Jump to: