The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2010 - 09:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

As a follow up to Barrie's post, www.themusic.com still has 200g copies of A Quick One, Live At Leeds, Quadrophenia, The Who By Numbers & Who Are You still sealed at regular prices. It appears that My Generation, Sell Out (mono & stereo), Tommy & Who's Next are gone. There is a 200g copy of Who's Next on ebay for $54.99 or best offer. If you're a fan of this lp, grab it. It's the best sounding copy you'll ever hear.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

Reply with quote Back to top
cococrispOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 07:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I never understand why people buy re-issues that are expensive, or near the price of the originals. I would take an original pressing over a 200gram repress anytime.

UK Track originals of "Sell Out" and "Who's Next" can be had for no more than 40 and 60 bucks respectively, and I'm sure they sound as good if not better than the Classic issues.

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 08:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

cococrisp wrote:
I never understand why people buy re-issues that are expensive, or near the price of the originals. I would take an original pressing over a 200gram repress anytime.

UK Track originals of "Sell Out" and "Who's Next" can be had for no more than 40 and 60 bucks respectively, and I'm sure they sound as good if not better than the Classic issues.

You make a valid point, however, the Classic lp's at their original list price are a bargain as far as the quality is concerned. Consider the lp A Quick One. Right now, this is still available at the original price. You're not going to find a NM original Reaction pressing of this for under $100 and that's if you're extremely lucky. I've seen them as high as $400. I've done A/B comparisons of all of them against my original UK & US pressings. In most cases, the Classic version is superior to the original. This is particularly the case with both Who's Next and Quadrophenia (as a side note, I think the US Decca pressing of Who's Next sounds better than the UK Track pressing, however look for copies with the NY address on the label....better quality vinyl).

I will say that the prices I saw on ebay for the out of print titles, as Barrie made reference to in his post, are extreme considering they haven't been out of print all that long. But if someone is willing to pay that amount......

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 08:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I've got Track pressings of Quadrophenia and Odd 'n' Sods...easily obtainable and great sound!

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 09:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Well, when you are a collector and you want something, you go and get it, coco. The Classic 200 Gram reissues didn't start at $79, but more like $34.99. And the demand for The Who and Led Zeppelin has been so high that the prices have gone way up. The Zeppelin records are through the roof now and they are selling for that money. There are people who want the 200 gram audiophile pressings just like there is a large collector base for MFSL recordings. I still don't understand why some of those Mofi's are claiming such high prices, but they are just because there are collectors who want them. I think it's the same with Classic Records 200 Gram releases. There are enough people with enough money to pay the prices. The lucky ones got in the game early and paid the issue prices, but that was two and four years ago.

The Who - A QUICK ONE was remastered with Bernie Grundman back in June 2005, but I dunno when it was first issued for sale. Mike Hobson at Classic Records used the original master tape and worked to produce a 200 gram record sounding as close to the tape as possible. He also had with him during this remastering a recording of the original UK Stereo pressing on Reaction Records from 1966 that sounded way inferior to the master tape session. SO, they didn't think that the original records sounded as good as the master tapes and set out to correct it on the 200 grams.

AT THIS LINK you will find info about Classic Records reissues. The story about the remastering of A QUICK ONE is the last one.

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 10:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:
The Who - A QUICK ONE was remastered with Bernie Grundman back in June 2005, but I dunno when it was first issued for sale. Mike Hobson at Classic Records used the original master tape and worked to produce a 200 gram record sounding as close to the tape as possible. He also had with him during this remastering a recording of the original UK Stereo pressing on Reaction Records from 1966 that sounded way inferior to the master tape session. SO, they didn't think that the original records sounded as good as the master tapes and set out to correct it on the 200 grams.

AT THIS LINK you will find info about Classic Records reissues. The story about the remastering of A QUICK ONE is the last one.

Quick correction: the master tape is mono. The writer corrects this in a subsequent blog post. The complete album was never available in true stereo, although significant portions of it were in stereo in both the US and Germany.

Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 10:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Mark, thanks for keeping me (and others) straight. And to think I thought I paid close attention to detail. Looks like I know enough to just get myself in a little trouble! Embarassed

Also, I decided I had to hear MY GENERATION 200 Gram today, and inside the sleeve is my original receipt showing I paid $32.99 on September 9, 2009. So maybe that is the original issue price....

WOOHOO!

cococrispOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 10:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So the re-mastering engineer brings in the MONO master tape and compares it to a STEREO pressing of the record, and states it "sounded way inferior to the master tape session"????

So he's probably using a later pressed stereo copy against a mono master tape.

Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 12:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Coco, Mark cleared up that confusion just above yer second post. The original blog misstated STEREO instead of MONO, but then later on in the blog corrected his mistake. So NO, he didn't compare to STEREO. He compared it to MONO.

So what they are saying at Classic Records is the original MONO recording sounded inferior to the original MONO master tape. And they set out with Bernie Grundman to bring the Classic Records 200 Gram reissue MONO up to or as close to the original MONO master tape as possible. That means the reissue sounds better.

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 12:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Here are the blog posts from Barrie's link:

Mastering THE WHO: A QUICK ONE
(6/9/05 4:46 pm pst)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What starts out as just another sunny day slinging vinyl at Classic Records turned into a sublime mastering session at Bernie Grundman’s. I’ve worked for Mike Hobson for about 2 years now, in the various incarnations of his business, and have been quiently hinting for a while that I’d like to see more of what goes on behind the scenes. In other words, I wanted to see how these Classic Records get made. Which brings us to last Tuesday.

I am informed, upon entering the Classic Records facility that morning, that MH wants a few of us to come to the mastering session they are planning on for the afternoon. My interest turns to excitement as I am told that the album being mastered is THE WHO: A QUICK ONE!

The day drags on and myself and two co-workers leave Classic to go down to mastering legend Bernie Grundman’s facility. When we arrive we are greeted by Mike Hobson and Chris Bellman who are just finishing setting up the tape machine. As I take a few pictures they take turns explaining what we we’re looking at:

Mike Hobson “The reel on the left is the original UK mono mastertape We’ve just finished track one, so this is number two”…”

Mike leans over the console and pushes a button… as the unmistakable sound fills the small studio… Boris the Spider… a garage crusher with almost simultaneous playing on all instruments, usually very muddy, but not today. The bass is punchy, the guitar work fittingly crunchy while remaining crisp and bouncy, and hey there’s Keith Moon not buried, not blown out sounding, but tight and hard and well defined. The sound is revelatory for a Who fan who’s used to hearing a solid wall of sludge from most pressings of their work.

Only a few people in the world have heard this tape, believe me, that info is forefront in my head as Mike says casually, “Now here’s an original British pressing of the album, synced up just behind the mastertape”

Pushing another button, the source switches over to an original British stereo pressing on Reaction Records from 1966. The difference is sobering. Now we are listening to what is possibly the best vinyl pressing of this album made (up to now) and it falls miles short of the mastertape. The juicy bass and buzzsaw guitar work have turned into porridge with the bass lightly tap tapping along in the quiet passages. The mastertape has assassinated this best of all pressings.

“Our goal is to get as close to that tape as possible” says Mike with a smile on his face. I hope and believe that he will get there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted by: Brian Tipton

Follow up to Mastering
(7/18/05 9:14 am pst)

In my June blog posting relating to the mastering session for The Who: A Quick One, I incorrectly stated that the original UK LP pressing being compared to the master tape was STEREO... As eagle-eyed consumer Luke Pacholski points out "I don't believe AQO was issued in stereo in the UK in 1966. Various tracks were available in stereo in Germany and the US, but not in the UK." Quite correct... It was a MONO pressing we were listening to. Thanks Luke.
posted by: Brian Tipton

Jump to: