The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mojo525Offline
Post subject: Instant collection  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 - 02:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

For you classical fans with a mattress stuffed with 60 thou

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-LP-Collection-93-Classical_W0QQitemZ110408697069QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item19b4df04ed&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Reply with quote Back to top
cococrispOffline
Post subject: RE: Instant collection  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 - 03:04 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quite a vague description for 60 grand. Labels would be more important than artists with a collection like this...

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: Instant collection  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 - 04:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Funny thing about Mr. Polkadot's ad states that he wants serious buyers only. I'd welcome 49K from the silliest most insincere person and would never care whether they were serious minded or not. Although spending that much cash on records is pretty damn serious!!!!!!

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Instant collection  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 - 07:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

My guess as to the actual value of this collection on the current market is about $3000 wholesale, $15,000 retail.

If you sell it as a collection, you are selling wholesale.

vinylhunterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 - 07:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That guy looks a lot like CACTUS

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 - 10:43 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

vinylhunter wrote:
That guy looks a lot like CACTUS

Yeah, is that a cowboy hat hiding the guy's face? Kinda weird.

He's probably hiding his face cuz he's wasted out of his mind on drugs. Must be if he's asking 60K. Laughing

mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2009 - 07:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

What I thought was interesting was that he says he's willing the ship the whole damn thing to Europe, Asia or Austrailia?!? How the hell would you even do that? I don't even like moving my collection to the next room.

mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2009 - 08:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

And re: Vinyl1's assessment of the collection's value . . .
I certainly don't know as much about classical as Vinyl or CC or many others here. But I am diving in head first (I have a bit of an OCD tendency, and when I focus on something, I want to know everything. That seems to be tougher with classical than a lot of other genres.)
Anyway, it seems classical has done a better job than its rock, jazz or soul peers in holding its value through these tough economic times. I'm interested to hear from some of my more knowledgeable RCG friends whether they agree with that statement.
In my case, there's a lot a learn -- and a lot available in my usual shopping haunts -- so that's what's exciting me now. Plus, I'm finding the music new (to me) and very interesting. I've had Szell's performance of Beethoven's 1st and Sixth in my cd player for about two weeks straight, now, and every time I hear it, I hear new stuff.

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2009 - 08:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I don't know about it holding its value during these economically challenged times since I opportunities haven't presented themselves to evaluate this fact. I do buy classical at the thrifts and when I find gems I research values and discover some good news. I seldom see European pressings EVER and those are the ones with the highest value, so it seems. They are money fet˘hers beyond belief.

Maybe this guy has some of that? I dunno. But it seems that the seller would have mentioned the rarities rather than only providing a composer list and info about dividers. SO is the collection worth more than two bucks a title? Maybe not. Vinyl1 has a point about $3000 as a lot sale. I am certain one could establish a BIG ASS COLLECTION of nuthin' monetarily valuable very easily in the classical genre.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 08, 2009 - 09:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

My estimate is based on the usual retail selling price of nice but non-collectible classical records. You can sell ordinary DGs, Philips, Londons for $2-4, whle ordinary US Columbias, Angels, and RCAs typically sell for $1.50-3. Budget labels would be less, say fifty cents to a dollar. In a collection this big, you might find a few collectibles that are worth considerably more, but not enough to lift the price significantly.

These prices assume you want to make sales. Of course, you can price everything at $8-15 and sit in a store full of unsold items for year after year. But if you check out the big retail sellers like Academy Records and Princeton Record Exchange, this is the market price if you want to move your stock.

Jump to: