The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2012 - 09:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

maybe, but not an expensive (vintage) foreign deal...

Reply with quote Back to top
ShadySamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Do You Remember When?  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2012 - 01:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

[quote="TimJ"]
RidinTheWind wrote:
The other great thing about wing-windows was they were cheaper to replace when you had to bust them out because you locked your keys in the car.

mastering the art of a coathanger & screwdriver came in handy when i was but a young shadester-
never ever had to bust any of my car windows when that happened... whew!! Smile

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Do You Remember When?  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2012 - 12:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Do you remember when..... things were made to last!?

It was chilly when I was doing the yard work yesterday. So, I put on an old jacket, a barracuda style under the old Grant 5 & 10 name and bought in 1971. Except for some very slight fraying at the cuffs and the faded color, the material was in excellent condition -- and not due to lack of wear. Now, any jacket bought today would probably last 5 years, 7 at most.

It's just like a set of small screwdrivers I bought from Radio Shack in 1969 for 39 cents. The set has a small slotted with a wire stripper built into the handle, a finer slotted, a fine phillips, an awl, and a kind of a hole starter for screws. I still use it today.

Bush Monkey
Post subject: Do You Remember When?  PostPosted: Nov 28, 2012 - 04:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Do you remember when new records were 49 cents or less at Thrifty's Drug Store and you could also get a 1, 2 or 3 scoop ice cream cone there too. Good ice cream too! My favorite was pistachio. Smile

I don't know if Thrifty's Drug Store was a California or west coast only chain. I miss that store and Woolworths too. Miss Woolworths a LOT. My mom called it the "5 and Dime store".
RidinTheWind wrote:
Do you remember when..... things were made to last!?

It was chilly when I was doing the yard work yesterday. So, I put on an old jacket, a barracuda style under the old Grant 5 & 10 name and bought in 1971. Except for some very slight fraying at the cuffs and the faded color, the material was in excellent condition -- and not due to lack of wear. Now, any jacket bought today would probably last 5 years, 7 at most.

It's just like a set of small screwdrivers I bought from Radio Shack in 1969 for 39 cents. The set has a small slotted with a wire stripper built into the handle, a finer slotted, a fine phillips, an awl, and a kind of a hole starter for screws. I still use it today.
I remember Grants, we called it Grants with an 's'.

From Wiki:
"Like many national chain stores, Grant arranged for Columbia to create a low price exclusive record label, Diva, sold only at Grants. The label existed from 1925 through 1930." LOL Diva...awesome! Very Happy

Wow...going back to Woolworths...The Woolworth Mansion
New York’s Woolworth Mansion Listed for $90 Million
http://www.zillow.com/blog/2011-03-22/new-yorks-woolworth-mansion-listed-for-90-million/

The Woolworth Mansion video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZeVAyJyW4aM#!

Or you can rent it for a $150,000 a month.
http://www.businessinsider.com/rent-new-york-citys-famed-woolworth-mansion-for-150000-a-month-2012-9?op=1

That's a lot of 5 and dimes.

Long post...LOL Laughing
I'll stop.

I LIED!

That mansion...I swear the rooms look like a whorehouse to me. LOL, like you would expect a Madam to come down the stairs any second and offer you a drink and call for the girls to line up. Laughing

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Do You Remember When?  PostPosted: Nov 29, 2012 - 11:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
"Like many national chain stores, Grant arranged for Columbia to create a low price exclusive record label, Diva, sold only at Grants. The label existed from 1925 through 1930." LOL Diva...awesome!
I have one of those old 78's with "That's My Weakness Now" by the Harmonians, can't remember the flip.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Do You Remember When?  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2013 - 12:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Remember when..............

as a kid, you saw your first movie at the theater? In my case, it was a double bill, "Jack the Giant Killer" and "The Horse Soldiers".

Remember when department stores carried everything from clothing to records, stereo equipment and TV's, to sporting goods, and hardware? Nowadays, Sears is about the only store that comes close, at least in Pittsburgh.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Do You Remember When?  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2013 - 01:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RidinTheWind wrote:
"Jack the Giant Killer"

Rider my bud, i STILL like that flick Smile

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Do You Remember When?  PostPosted: Feb 14, 2013 - 01:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It's one of the first I bought when I got a VHS player and then one of the first DVD's.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Do You Remember When?  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 - 01:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Remember when............
guys used to whistle at the pretty girls on the street?

I remember when my favorite TV and radio shows used to advertise products to make one more attractive to the opposite sex. Now, the commercials are for catheters and diarrhea, and they tell me that I'm full of sh*t if I don't do a dump more than once a day.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Do You Remember When?  PostPosted: Apr 30, 2014 - 02:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The local PBS TV station the other day had a documentary program on a small town in PA. They covered some of the stores and one of them had ............. and do you remember?

BlackJack chewing gum and Bonomo Turkish Taffy

Jump to: