The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How many guild members use ebay?
I am an ebay addict.
22%
 22%  [ 14 ]
I use ebay a lot, but I also buy a lot of records from other sources.
49%
 49%  [ 30 ]
I have an account, but I rarely buy records on there.
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
I don't have an account.
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 61

B_big.Offline
23 Post subject: It's the biggest market place  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2009 - 08:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    I use 'ebay' on regularly basis for buying, very seldom for selling (don't have the time). I discovered a lot of scarce items over the last years, and they haven't been necessarily expensive. Because my 'out-bin' is about to burst, I think I have to sell a few recordings in the future.

I also buy new recordings from my favorite on-line record dealers.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Reply with quote Back to top
LadyStarblade
Post subject: RE: It  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2009 - 05:46 PM
Level 5
Level 5

eBay addict here...it's sort of how I got started with collecting. The selection on there just blows my mind and it's pretty much unparalleled for helping me see what's out there and what people are paying for things. My feedback's currently at 202...191 of those ratings are for vinyl purchases.

MicrogrooveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2010 - 02:27 PM
Level 3
Level 3

I find I go in cycles with Ebay don't use it for several weeks then have a real splurge, can't deny it's great for finding vinyl, but you'll never beat going to a record shop or fair.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2010 - 03:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Microgroove wrote:
I find I go in cycles with Ebay don't use it for several weeks then have a real splurge, can't deny it's great for finding vinyl, but you'll never beat going to a record shop or fair.

That is EXACTLY what I do as well. To be honest, the last couple of purchases I've made via ebay haven't been satisfying, meaning the seller was a bit too liberal with their definition of "Excellent." Whenever I find one or two in a row like that, it sours me on ebay for a while.

However, I've had a lot of luck with the RCG "Records" forum. I've found that most of the best dealers I've interacted with have been here.

dougiezertsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: How many of you use ebay?  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2010 - 10:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

cococrisp wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Hi! My name is T-Bone and Im an ebay addict.

The first step is admitting.

Ebayolics Anonymous classes are every friday night at the 1st United Baptist Church starting at 9:00! Very Happy

windbagOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: How many of you use ebay?  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2010 - 05:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I look through Ebay several times a day, but it's due to computer/email addiction, like wondering during each weekend (days off, actually, mid-week) if I ought check out local music/record shops or bookstores--a combination of boredom, addiction, and interest, in that order, especially boredom; staring at the computer screen when I've run out of ideas is like watching very bad daytime TV, those Judge-Whoever shows ("Must. Shut. This. Thing. Off! Must. Pull. Away!"). I've never sold through Ebay, though I've thought about. I used to buy a unit-9 at GOLDMINE or DISCOVERIES occasionally back in the late '80s and early '90s.

I prefer a good hunt through a record rack, especially new to me. That thrill of the unknown, and a "Eureka" feeling when I have something interesting in my grubby paws, my musical interests/curiosity more than any interest in a price guide $ listing. I learned years ago to avoid accumulating what I didn't like that the price guides showed high$--never had any luck getting book values out of spares, and filing room is a pain in the arse if I don't like it. Worst feeling is that urge to "rescue" something that's really nice, but out of my interest--not good enough to keep, but too good to throw away. I'd rather find mint Ray Bloch Singers HITS OF 196... Lps on a junking run than some Elvis schlock soundtrack with a high book value any time.

Ebay annoyances:

They've recently changed my searches regarding "newly listed" from auctions-only to include EVERY "new" relisting. It appears that sellers keep re-listing the same stuff over-and-over-and-over-and-over, ad nauseam, and Ebay must want me to slog through endlessly "new" relisted items on my searches. I've had to cut off the e-mails, due to being buried in the same stuff broadsiding my in-box repeatedly. So now I have to click on "auction only" when I look through my searches to narrow down the "new" to really NEW. It's like having your local thrift store with racks packed with picked over titles reshuffling the entire stock with each new box coming out of the storeroom. Really annoying.

Sellers who don't list the release number, especially 45s. My want lists are by artist, label, release number. And sometimes they only list one of the two songs on the disc, often the B-side, as if to suggest it's not the common hit, but a rare (that word!) obscure, little known copy.

It'd be nice to search an artist on his primary labels, without all the special markets, Pickwick, Hilltop, Somerset, Grand Prix, Buckboard, shoddy TV Best Of, Strand, and Tops junk albums dumped out of Woolworth's 99-cent trash bin cluttering up trying to look at first issue/indie/major labels.

Brando20Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 - 01:19 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I've gotten quite a bit off of ebay but I much prefer getting records from thrift shops etc.

citronOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2010 - 09:28 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Sometimes I prefer MusicStack better than eBay.

retro71Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 - 09:48 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I use Ebay the majority of the time, but always cross reference with Disdogs.

karloffsidekick
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 - 09:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RZ

Jump to: