The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kat1370Offline
Post subject: METALLICA!!!!!!  PostPosted: Oct 15, 2009 - 03:21 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Two and a half hours to showtime!!!! Although I've taken my daughter to concerts before, this will be the first heavy metal, head-bangin', fist pumpin', blow-your-face-off rock show!! I'm looking forward to hanging out with her and sharing the adrenaline rush that is 'The Mighty Met' Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

\m/ \m/

Reply with quote Back to top
SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2009 - 03:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Have fun ! Cool

kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2009 - 11:36 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

OMG...pounding headache...didn't wake up until noon... Shocked

Awesome show, as usual. My daughter loved it and was amazed by 17k people all pumping fists, chanting and singing every word.

I've got a class at 2...I'll leave a review later today Wink

kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2009 - 09:25 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

First of all, I still don't have my voice back!

French band Gojira took the stage first. Never heard of them. Didn't really wanna hear of them or from them.

Then, Lamb of God took over. I've heard of them but didn't know any of their tunes. My daughter knew a couple of their tunes but she's not into them, either. It's more of a "brag factor" to a couple of her friends.

Finally, after nearly 2.5 hours...The Mighty Met assumed the position and started ROCKIN' the joint. In total, they played 18 songs from 7 different albums. Of course, the old-school songs were the best. There were 6 from the new album. My faves were One, Master of Puppets, Hit the Lights, Seek and Destroy, Fade to Black.

Of course, we were on the inside row of the nosebleed section. The main thing that I was disappointed about is the absence of the big screens. They have always had 4 big monitors high up in the rafters for those who are rockin' the cheap seats to see the action. I especially missed the facial expressions that Lars makes while he's beatin' the hell outta them skins!

The stage was rectangular shaped, in the center of the arena. There were huge coffins, matching the ones on the LP cover, hung from the rafters. These were part of the lighting rig and they could be lowered. Lasers and smoke were placed during the show intermittently. Cool, yeah, but I would still prefer the big screens.

No crazy hijinks this time...no one falling from the lighting rig on fire. Oh, yeah...fire. Plenty of that! Lars was in the middle of the stage on a little "turntable", Ringo-style. There were two lines of boxes on either side of him. That's where the different colored flames shot out, in addition to the "minefield" of flames that came out of the stage itself.

At the end of the show, they dropped different sized beach balls. Black with the Metallica logo in white. Of course, only those with the pricey seats got to take advantage of that, too. The majority of them landed on the stage. The guys had to kick them out into the crowd while jamming 'Seek and Destroy'.

Overall...great show, as usual. It seems that a couple of the old tunes were modulated down in key to accommodate James' aging voice. To be expected, I guess. None of the music was lacking in ANY way. Supposedly some PA's went out during the show but we couldn't tell from our seats. My teen was grinning ear to ear and said that she's happy to have James and the gang welcome her to "the family" during the show.

Caught a couple of 'unofficial' t-shirt vendors on the way out. Waited a half hour for the train to take us back to the car. Didn't get home till about 1 AM. Although I did nothing but show up and watch the show...it's been many, many moons since I've smoked cigs (or anything else for that matter) and I think the "air pollution" Laughing Laughing got to me. I felt completely hungover yesterday.

Bottom line...highly recommended show, as usual. If you're into head-bangin', fist-pumpin' rock-n-roll...Mighty Met is still your best bet Wink

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2009 - 09:56 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

thanks for review kat! myself, i just managed to get reserve to tickets for the U2 show on august 2010 here in Helsinki ... Very Happy

kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2009 - 10:21 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Thanks, Kimmo. Good job on the U2 seats. I've always wanted to see them but the closest I've ever gotten is "Rattle and Hum" Sad

throbbingpuppyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2009 - 12:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Good review! I saw them in Seattle and Vancouver last December and it was great of course.

kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 - 03:32 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Not the best pics but what do you expect from high altitudes and a teenager with a Crackberry...I mean Blackberry Shocked Laughing

Lars, of course, in the middle goin' "Ringo style". The long, black masses on either side contain the pyro flames. The black spots on the stage are where the flames shot up and out of the floor. They raised the house lights for the encore. They did Hit the Lights, a Misfits tune (can't remember the name of it), and Seek and Destroy.

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 - 04:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

The last time I saw Metallica was summer of 89. Thanks for sharing.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

Dr_OscarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 06:48 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Saw them on the 19th, great show! Even the new songs sounded great, the live venue is definitely their strongest suit.

Jump to: