The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: Howzabout information on 45 sleeves?  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2009 - 05:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I really don't know if this sort of thing would be feasible, but it would be cool if there was a reference point that showed 45 sleeves and the types or eras of labels that went with them. For example, if you've got a Capitol 45 from 1967 without a sleeve, and you want to match it with the correct kind of company sleeve it proabably came in, you could look here to see (roughly) when certain styles of company sleeves were used.

Again, I don't know if this would work or not. Seeing some of the other posts showing all the cool company sleeves made me think of this. It would be a cool reference point if it was possible to put together.

Just my two cents. Thanks!!!!

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Howzabout information on 45 sleeves?  PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 - 11:16 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

mackdaddyg wrote:
... For example, if you've got a Capitol 45 from 1967 without a sleeve, and you want to match it with the correct kind of company sleeve it proabably came in, you could look here to see (roughly) when certain styles of company sleeves were used....
Why not start such a project yourself? I'd think many of the Guild members would be glad to offer their expertise.

If 'enough' info. can be gathered for a particular label's sleeves, perhaps a "sleevography" forum could be added to the Special Projects. Here's a start:

E7B-1BS.jpg
 Description:
US Capitol co. sleeve # E7B-1BS
In use: approx. 1966-1968
 Filesize:  47.81 KB
 Viewed:  464 Time(s)

E7B-1BS.jpg

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: Re: Howzabout information on 45 sleeves?  PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 02:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
Why not start such a project yourself? I'd think many of the Guild members would be glad to offer their expertise.

If 'enough' info. can be gathered for a particular label's sleeves, perhaps a "sleevography" forum could be added to the Special Projects.

I'd be glad to do my part, but I really don't know the dates on the sleeves. I'd be happy to scan whatever I got and post it here, but that's all I can do. Are you suggesting that we can post scans, and Guild members who know when they date from can chime in at that point?

kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 02:26 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I swear that someone started a thread about which 45 sleeves go with which 45 labels...or something like that. I remember seeing it when I was cleaning up all of those dead links and stuff.

Now it's gonna bug me 'til I find it!

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 02:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've thought of this before, too, it's a good idea. I think it might be it's own category, and each "topic" is a company (set up right from the get-go with bigger names, and then "other" or something at the end).
45 Sleeves
Atlantic
Capitol
Decca
(or whatever, and etc.).
Same thing with 78s (there's already a pretty nice 78 sleeve thread, would be great if they were organimanized).

lamasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 02:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
A little while ago a new secion appeared called LABELOGRAPHY..........most of the items in the tsection were threads started by OldBillClarke....( who just happens to ne the first person who ever pm'd me ) and relate to Canadian issues

I started scanning 45's ( coincidently on the UK CAPITIOL label ) in their proper sleeves for posting on to the LABELOGRAPHY section

Thety are still on my stick awaiting the spare time to load them onto the RCG

My oriignal collection ( ie the ones I bought new ) had the record title entered on the sleeve as they each came in .............this means I can be certain that the records are in their original sleeves............in addition I have bought records that have not only the tilte written on the sleeves but also the date of purchase

This is of course just for UK issues

But my thought is that LABELOGRAPHY with the records in the correct sleeves is the place to post such information

Kat was this the link you were looking for ?
http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=51854&highlight=

kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 08:30 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Yep, I think that's it. Thanks! Wink How could I miss that?

Maybe that would be a good place to put the sleeve info, too? We can always re-word the forum and/or its description. If there are enough distinct posts (and sufficient interest) we can also break the sleeves out into their own forum later on.

hrt...if you can provide those 78 sleeve links I will relocate them to one central area.

Other than that, you guys post as much info here about what you want to see happen and I can take care of the particulars for you.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 08:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Well then...assuming I get up off my lazy tuckus and start scanning some sleeves, should I (or whomever) post them here? I'm digging this idea, but I wanna be sure I don't hinder any chance of organization to this.

I'm glad to do my part. If it's cool, I'd be glad to fire up the old scanner, figure out how to use it (which should be a hoot), and then scan some sleeves.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Howzabout information on 45 sleeves?  PostPosted: Oct 23, 2009 - 12:09 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

mackdaddyg wrote:
I'd be glad to do my part, but I really don't know the dates on the sleeves....
When I reseached info. for an Elektra discography I plowed through ebay auction listings for approx. 2-3 years, collecting label scans and organizing them. Sleeves wouldn't be as easy, as they have a tendency to wander away from their original partners. Still, with a bit of tenacity and single-minded purpose, it might be managed.

mackdaddyg wrote:
Well then...assuming I get up off my lazy tuckus and start scanning some sleeves, should I (or whomever) post them here?
I suggest organizing them first, adding commentary, then posting to the Inner Sleeve, Poster, Insert Gallery.

Many (not all) RCA Victor and Capitol sleeves -- both 7- and 12-inch -- have form nos. I suggest gathering that info. as well.

mojo525Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: Howzabout information on 45 sleeves?  PostPosted: Oct 23, 2009 - 05:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

This could be a good, fun project. I have a ton of sleeves (a former member -- I'm ashamed to admit I forget his name) sent me a box of sleeves, hundreds, and I always wanted to be able to match the sleeve with the right-era 45.
I just might have to pick up a scanner myself -- or take some photos.
I really like Hrt's suggestion as a way to organize the forum. Seems clean and simple.

Jump to: