The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 - 10:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Acid King and Electric Wizard - Both modern bands, both have the stoner rock/metal style of the 70s, and both have great vocals. Acid King has a female vocalist. Electric Wizard is probably the heavier of the two.

Reply with quote Back to top
ManimalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 12:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Marillion is a great prog band from the 80s. Quality stuff.

X is a cool punk band from the 80s, one of the best.

Frank Marino pumped out some good hard rock in the 70s and 80s, worth seeking out.

digvinylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 12:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

jmak wrote:
Someone on this forum once suggested "Captain Beyond," and now I'm a huge fan - they're fantastic!

Also, if any of you haven't checked out Robbie Robertson's self-titled album (lead singer of the Band) it's simply wonderful.

Last but not least, Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green is just aboout a perfect rock record.

I'll second the Cricklewood Green recommendation. Awesome record!

Although they're sort of a big time band, I've always felt that April Wine doesn't get the recognition they deserve. Start with the First Glance album and go from there.

My brother recently introduced me to Hemigod. They haven't had any official releases that I'm aware of but I think there are downloadable files online. He sent me files but I'm not sure where he got them. Cool hard rock!

mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 10:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I've been stuck for a couple of days on the Lou Reed/John Cale collaboration of "Songs for Drella." REALLY interesting.
It's some of Lou's most emotive lyrics, with some really edgy guitar licks against Cale's minimal, yet dense landscape. He's not a bad lyricist as well. Combined, the whole thing forms a vivid chapter-book biography of Andy Warhol, and his often broken relationship with these two artists and the Velvets. If you're interested in a personal insight into Andy, Lou or J.Cale it's a must-hear.

kenoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 07:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I think you folks might enjoy this artist!
We're going to see her perform in Jan.
Her lead guitarist is off the charts!!!

www.eilenjewell.com

One of us has to go!!

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 10:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My wife and I caught Big Sandy & The Fly-Rite Boys opening for Buckwheat Zydeco many moons ago. These guys look like they just beamed in from a Texas honky-tonk circa 1955 - VERY authentic Western Swing (pre-rockabilly, and in a few cases, neo-rockabilly), all originals...just awesome. I was so impressed I bought their first two albums on the spot (on vinyl, and this was the late 1990s!!!)

CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 11:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

jmak wrote:
Also, if any of you haven't checked out Robbie Robertson's self-titled album (lead singer of the Band) it's simply wonderful.

Robbie Robertson was not the lead singer of The Band, he was the guitar player. If you happened to see The Last Waltz you will notice him acting like he is singing, however his microphone was never on. Vocals for The Band were always handled in a round robin by bass player Rick Danko, piano player Richard manuel, and drummer Levon Helm.

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 03:58 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Wow, some great hot tips!

Some I'm familiar with, others not, but they're going on my "watch out for" list.

Quote:
Mars Volta - Jazz/rock/fusion/sonic assault

I love this hard-to-categorize band and that's the best description of their sound I've ever seen. I've got "De-Loused At The Comatorium" on CD, and "Amputechture" on combo white/orange colored vinyl. There is so much going on when you listen to Mars Volta's music. It's not party or background music. You really need to listen to it and it gets better with every play. In a way it reminds me a bit of '70s Prog Rock. I really need to track down more of their work.

Quote:
Marillion is a great prog band from the 80s. Quality stuff.

I was (and still am) a huge fan of '70s Prog. When bands like Gentle Giant, Yes, and Genesis started putting out sub-par or Pop-oriented LPs in the late '70s, I quickly lost interest and shifted towards to Punk, New Wave, Hardcore, Metal, etc... So I was never aware of Marillion back in the '80s. In more recent years, I've acquired used Marillion LPs and must agree, definitely "quality stuff". It's kind of like a flashback to the glory days of Prog.

Quote:
X is a cool punk band from the 80s, one of the best.

"X" was a band that immediately stood out from the pack in a genre where many of the bands could barely play their instruments. With great songwriting and a tight, sharply focused sonic assault featuring wild rockabilly guitar, their debut LP "Los Angeles" on the fledgling Slash Records label in 1980 was and still is a stunner. Not to mention the following LPs, equally great.

At the same time "Los Angeles" was released, another LP on Slash Records appeared, leading to my next hot tip:

Various Artists - The Decline Of Western Civilization (Original Sound Track from the film), Slash Records SR-105

Featuring live performances by:

Black Flag
Germs
Catholic Discipline
X
Circle Jerks
Alice Bag Band
Fear

A great introduction to early Los Angeles Punk/Hardcore. Killer performances by the bands with anti-police rants and antagonistic audience-baiting commentary, from Fear in particular. Angry, abrasive, and brilliant.

B_big.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2009 - 06:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    If it comes to recommendations, I always mention my favorite singer (soul mate):

Kevin Ayers

Especially his early releases are something you can call the invention of psychedelic music. His musical work has changed with the years, but never became dull or boring. His lyrics always managed to catch me, because he's talking about things I've experienced too. The main topic is the relationship of the genders, and their intriguing varieties of acting.

Here are the albums:

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2009 - 11:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

This is an exciting thread, really! Thanks CC for opening this one.....

My wife and I heard David Gray on USA National Public Radio back in 2000 and have since bought all of his music.....unfortunately all of it on CD, but still we get to hear this guy and his great singing/songwriting. His album WHITE LADDER in 1999 brought him acclaim and featured a tune called BABYLON which aired on USA radio rock stations.

I suggest getting his debut album from 1993, A CENTURY ENDS and then FLESH from 1994. LOST SONGS is also a great one, but since I love them all, I recommend them all.

We traveled to Denver (400 miles) several years ago in the dead of winter to take in a live concert. DG is not the greatest live show, but he and the band were great with the music.

I recently discovered that his latest release, DRAW THE LINE, is available on vinyl. WHOO HOO!

Jump to: