The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Eski-moeOffline
Post subject: Bobby Vee and Billy Joe Royal in Fairbanks Alaska!  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 01:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I thought I'd give you some of the highlights of the concert.

We started wih me insisting that we get to the Carlson center so we can get good seats. My kids were laughing at how I would probably trip over myself and fall down the stairs and jump over the railing and jump onto the stage the second the door opened. They always laugh at my taste in "Old folk music" but then deep down, they end up enjoying it too.

Billy Joe came on first and he did a nice job. He wasn't in top singing shape but I really didn't expect it. He sang Drift Away and Down in the Boondocks and a few others. I had a hard time getting a decent picture of him. I'll need to get some pointers on how to shoot concert photos..

Then Bobby came on. They started with a video about him.. talking aobut where he was born and growing up. Talked about his music influence and Buddy Holly. THe video ended with him beginning to sing one of his hits, then he was on the stage singing that same song. It was a great intro!

Like BIlly, Bobby wasn't in top singing form but he sure knew how to work the crowd! He had everyone singing and clapping along. He did a beautiful tribute to Buddy Holly. He talked about how he remembers exactly where he was when he learned of the crash and then the opprotunity to perform at one of the winter dances.

My kids really enjoyed it too. Bobby's 2 sons are inthe band. Jeff Vee on drums (and cardboard box) and Tommy Vee on Bass Guitar and an upright bass. He was so......... animated! Just ALL over the place with his expressions and the way he playd the upright bass (playing it upside down, playing it behind his back. His dad said "And on bass, Tommy Vee" He laid it on its side and stood ON it!)

After the show we got to go up and say hi and get an autograph. I took one of my records of his and he told me that it was the second record he released. I didn't know that! lol I will get a picture of it and share soon.

You can see the pictures here.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=167595&id=582881302&l=1eeb326872

Moe

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
KimmoOffline
Post subject: RE: Bobby Vee and Billy Joe Royal in Fairbanks Alaska!  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 02:18 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

thanks moe for review! Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: