The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jim.maherOffline
Post subject: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 08:58 AM
Level 1
Level 1

has anyone tried to use a dvd recorder to record vinyl to digital? seems these decks are cheap and plentiful but what problems I would incur, I don't know. jimm

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 09:24 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

DVD discs will hold more data than a CD, so there is that advantage. It's possible to burn hundreds of MP3 files onto a DVD. The only drawback would be limitations in playback. Most folks use CD-R discs, so they can play the disc in the car, a boombox, etc....

Further thoughts...

If you're playing vinyl and recording directly onto a DVD recorder, sure, I don't see why that can't be done. In addition to playback limitations, you also have the challenge of placing cue points or breaks between songs. I'm not sure this could be done easily, if at all.

I do own a DVD recorder and use it in my business, for doing video tape to DVD transfers. I can't see any reason or benefit in using it for audio transfers though.

If you're just getting started in vinyl to digital transfers, I'd suggest using a PC, audio editing software, and burning files onto CD-R discs. Or archiving the files on an Ipod, the hard drive of your computer, etc... as your needs dictate.

JGH1Offline
Post subject: RE: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 09:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Jim, I'm not an expert on this topic by any stretch of the imagination. I would think that, when using an outboard dvd recorder, it would need to allocate space for a video signal even though there isn't one present resulting in a shorter playing time than if you record it as a dvd-audio disc. In the next few weeks, I plan on transferring a few lp's into my computer recorded at 24-bit/96kHz in order to hear if the higher sampling rate retains a more "analog" sound compared to cd. Because of this, I'll be burning the results as dvd-audio.

That's my 2 cents anyway......and welcome to the guild, Jim. I hope you find RCG as useful and as fun as I do.

John

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 10:40 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

I plan on transferring a few lp's into my computer recorded at 24-bit/96kHz in order to hear if the higher sampling rate retains a more "analog" sound compared to cd.

It won't Smile .

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 - 01:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

From the DVD recorder I have and the others I have seen, there doesn't seem to be a way to set recording levels. So, my guess is that the result regarding dynamic range would be like the old automatic level control of some tape recorders.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 - 05:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Graeme wrote:
Quote:

I plan on transferring a few lp's into my computer recorded at 24-bit/96kHz in order to hear if the higher sampling rate retains a more "analog" sound compared to cd.

It won't Smile .

you can always convert 24/96 into FLAC and it will retain the higher quality. not sure if you can burn 24/96 to CD but you can leave it FLAC for sure

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Oct 23, 2009 - 12:34 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

not sure if you can burn 24/96 to CD

You can't - not as audio, anyway.

Quote:

but you can leave it FLAC for sure

Only as a file on CD, not as audio

kidcoleOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Jan 21, 2011 - 12:46 AM
Level 3
Level 3

A CD will always be 16 bit with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, regardless of what it was before.

bluevirgo7Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 - 04:33 AM
Level 4
Level 4

i use a free mixing program called reaper you can render the wave at 96/24 even 32 bit at 96/24 it usually takes up over a gigabyte of space. Keeping it as a wave at that rate and depth might make it a little more analog sounding but you can only play it on your computer.

mix that to cd level it is about half that amount of data an Mp3 at 256 is around ten percent of the original file. where does all that sound go. what part of the original sound do they consider not essential?

are all those cd's advertised at 20 bit just a marketing trick

kidcoleOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: vinyl to dvd  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 - 05:40 PM
Level 3
Level 3

MP3's get rid of the extreme frequencies on both ends of the spectrum.

If you have something that is recorded at a slower sample rate and bit depth and convert it to a format that has a higher sample rate and bit depth you aren't adding anything useful to the recording. It won't make it "sound better".

Jump to: