The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: Gramophone Classical CD Guides  PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 - 09:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I picked up a copy of a Gramophone Classical Good CD Guide 2002 from a thrift store and have enjoyed this book. It's certainly chock full of reviews about new and old recordings. The book is published in association with B&W.

This book gives ratings about recordings. I find it interesting that the book recommends Itzhak Perlman/Giulini-Philharmonia Orchestra as its top pick for the Beethoven Violin Concerto. I would put three or four others in front of Perlman/Giulini.

Still, the book is a good one for reviewing sooo many recordings. It is 1300 pages full of stuff. And even though it is a CD guide, many of the recordings are reish from earlier vinyl. Nice way to discover some recordings I didn't know existed.

These guides are inexpensive on ebay, too. I thought that they'd be more expensive than that, but they ain't.

Reply with quote Back to top
vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Gramophone Classical CD Guides  PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 - 12:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Pssst....if the conductor is English, he gets an extra star. They are also notorious for their love of von Karajan.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Gramophone Classical CD Guides  PostPosted: Nov 04, 2009 - 11:59 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:
I picked up a copy of a Gramophone Classical Good CD Guide 2002 ....
Penguin Books published a similar and competing compendium of classical LP reviews ... later editions expanded to include cassette and CD.

Jump to: