The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ok50oldsOffline
Post subject: vinyl collection  PostPosted: Nov 29, 2009 - 10:48 AM
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to find the simplest way to catalogue my collection of over 1500 vinyl albums. I just need basic ,easy to use system. Help

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2009 - 10:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Welcome to the RCG, ok50 ! I set up a simple database with the free Open Office spreadsheet - but that's before I decided to wallow in chaos and give up on cataloguing. I know there's some programs out there geared specifically to collectors.

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject: Re: vinyl collection  PostPosted: Nov 29, 2009 - 11:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ok50olds wrote:
I'm trying to find the simplest way to catalogue my collection of over 1500 vinyl albums. I just need basic ,easy to use system. Help

The simplest way is to keep the information you store to a minimum, for example try just these fields (if you use a database) or columns if you are using a spreadsheet, they are basically the same thing.

Label - such as Columbia, etc.
Artist - Simon, Paul or Beatles, The
Title - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band
Notes - anything worth nothing such as condition, first pressing, whatever.

I haven't used Open Office so I can't say anything good or bad about it. Excel, Microsoft's spreadsheet program can handle up to 64,000 entries the last I heard which should handle most folks needs. I use a database called Paradox which can handle unlimited entries and in the next couple days my database should be over 306,000 entries but for what you are doing that is overkill. Microsoft did "borrow" from Paradox "Control Ditto" which is great for data entry. For example, say your albums are sorted by artist alphabetically in Excel you can after you have started you can copy the information from the cell above by pressing the <CTRL> and "D" at the same time. In most cases you will be able to do both the Label and Artist and only have to key the Title.

You can of course add field/columns for all sorts of stuff such as record number, genre, etc. but if all you are interested is being able to check on if you have a record try starting with just the above and see if they suit your needs. You can always expand later from what you start from.

Now there is one thing that can get messy and that is multiple artists. Say for example you have an album of The Supremes and The Temptations if you list it in the "artist" field as "Supremes, The and The Temptations" it will always sort to The Supremes. To get around this you might consider an "artist2" field like this...

label - Motown
artist - Supremes, The
artist2 - The Supremes and The Temptations
title - The Supremes and The Temptations Live

with a second entry

label - Motown
artist - Temptations, The
artist2 - The Supremes and The Temptations
title - The Supremes and The Temptations Live

This allows you to keep track of what you have by individuals and groups. Likewise if you choose to use 2 artist groups you can eliminate in consistencies that will screw up your sorts. For example, Epic originally listed "R.E.O. Speedwagon" with periods and later dropped the periods to "REO Speedwagon", in 45s The Del Vikings were half the time "The Del-Vikings". In the artist field you skip the periods and hyphens and use the artist2 to recreate the record and everything sorts just fine. This also is helpful if the real artist released under a different name, while this example is for a 45 it is applicable to LPs also. Epic Records issued a 45 by The Four Lovers who after that 45 changed their name to The Four Seasons, in this case your spreadsheet would read...

label - Epic
artist - Four Season, The
artist2 - The Four Lovers

I hope this isn't overwhelming, I add about a 1000 entries to my database a week so I live and breathe this stuff. If you have Excel and try <CTRL> and "D" I mentioned above and I think you'll find alot of your work is already done after the first entry.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: vinyl collection  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 - 07:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I utilize Open Office, after using Excel for years.
There are also online options such as RateYourMusic.com and recordnerd.com. Rate Your Music allows you to add items to your collections in just a couple clicks. Photos included.

Here is a former thread that goes into much detail on your question...
http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1036&highlight=spreadsheet

vinylseduction
Post subject: Re: vinyl collection  PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 - 11:43 AM
Level 2
Level 2

ok50olds wrote:

Hi..
I use Discogs... Wink

Andrea

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: vinyl collection  PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 - 11:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Wow, Andrea. That is an amazing avatar. Can you please post a larger version (or link) so that we may more fully admire that turntable. Cool

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: vinyl collection  PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 - 11:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

...and welcome to the Guild. You will find it an informative and friendly place.

vinylseduction
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: vinyl collection  PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 - 12:01 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Rafter242 wrote:
Wow, Andrea. That is an amazing avatar. Can you please post a larger version (or link) so that we may more fully admire that turntable. Cool

...turnable???
...Are you sure? Embarassed Very Happy Very Happy

vinylseduction
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: vinyl collection  PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 - 12:02 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Rafter242 wrote:
...and welcome to the Guild. You will find it an informative and friendly place.

thanks ...
I am a collector of vinyl records from Italy!! Very Happy
Andrea

pmuck4Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 - 12:05 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Since you do not say why you want to catalogue your collection it is difficult for other collectors to give sound advice. Do you wish to have a list so you don't re-acquire an item you already have--then titles and artist are sufficient. Or is the catalogue to assist in acquiring better copies in the future--then condition being recorded is crucial. Maybe you intend to hold your collection with no further additions-then you would be a distinct minority since for most collectors further acquistions is an obsession. So determine what you need the catalogue to tell you in the future and compile accordingly. I reccommend a looseleaf book where you can add pages and do entries in long hand. Typed or computer lists can be lost electronically--it has happened to me--and you always need your computer near the records. A process you can compile 15 records at a time would have a greater chance of being completed where you do not overwhelmed by an urge to do all of the list all at once. .Step one is to put all records in alphabetical order for each format. Best of luck.

Jump to: