The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OldiesmannOffline
Post subject: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 - 05:18 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Although I have been collecting records for several years now, I am just now getting around to cataloging my collection, partly spurred on by my decision to start cataloging my Archie Comics collection, and also because I have records in several places in my room, so I have honestly lost track of what I do and don't have.

For those who have also cataloged their collection on the computer, what software would you recommend? I have tried three different programs so far and have found one that I like, but as I still have a month to decide (before the trial of this software runs out), I am wondering if there might be something better.

Here's what I've tried along with my thoughts on each:

Audiophiler - Looked impressive but I gave up on it because I got an error when trying to create a database.

Music Catalogue Manager - Impressive feature set, and extremely easy to use. I especially liked being able to look up records on musicbrainz.org and discogs.com. However, the look seems a bit outdated, and I had some trouble with the menus in Windows 7 (many times I had to hit alt to focus on the menus before I could click on a menu item). I was also disappointed to see that the support forum is offline and probably has been for some time (they have "recent support posts" listed on their site, and most were spam posts from October of 2008).

CATraxx - Very impressed with this one. Easy to use, extremely flexible and powerful, and best of all, a clean modern interface. The only downside I found with this was that there weren't many options for importing record data - only discogs.com, amazon.com and various international versions of amazon.com. However, they do have a menu that lets you automatically search for something on any number of sites (user-configurable), which is a plus.

Right now I'm planning to go with CATraxx because it's more flexible, has an active support forum, and has a much nicer look, but I want to make sure I don't end up finding something even better later on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 - 06:10 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I use an Excel spreadsheet with columns detailing:

Artist
Title
Label
Cat No.
Year of Release
Condition Vinyl
Condition Cover
Speed of Disc
Size of Disc
Notes (details regarding condition, colored vinyl, posters, reissue, import, etc.....)

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 - 07:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I'm with Cactus on this one. I also use an Excel spreadsheet with similarly titled columns. I've found it to be the easiest to work with and considering the popularity of the program, you can pretty much be assured that it isn't going anywhere. I used to want my database to be all encompassing (song titles, etc.) but found that there aren't enough hours in a day and that sometimes, simplicity can be a wonderful thing.

So...two votes for Excel.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

OldiesmannOffline
Post subject: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 - 07:28 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I did consider doing something similar with Access, but decided that it would be easier to just use a program that was designed for such things instead of trying to write something myself. The more I use CATraxx, the more I like it, but I'm always wondering if I'm missing something.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
OldiesmannOffline
Post subject: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2009 - 10:57 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Decided to stick with CATraxx. I've added 37 albums so far and am having fun with it.

waynemusicmanOffline
Post subject: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Dec 01, 2009 - 01:53 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I see CATraxx is 26.00 (about $40.00) think I will stick with Excel too.

OldiesmannOffline
Post subject: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Dec 01, 2009 - 11:06 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, it's not cheap, but it works for what I want.

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Dec 01, 2009 - 11:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Oldiesmann wrote:
I did consider doing something similar with Access, but decided that it would be easier to just use a program that was designed for such things instead of trying to write something myself. The more I use CATraxx, the more I like it, but I'm always wondering if I'm missing something.

For what you want to do Excel would be more than enough. Does CATraxx allow you to export the file to other programs?

OldiesmannOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Dec 01, 2009 - 01:11 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Excel really wouldn't have done it for me. I would have had to use Access so I could have forms, reports, etc., and even then I don't know if I'd be able to do everything I'd like to do.

The program does offer the ability to export the data to other programs, though it's a bit tricky as you have to choose a report (lots of options here) then "print" it to a file and choose what type of file you want (PDF, Excel Spreadsheet, HTML, JPEG, RTF, Lotus 1-2-3, Quattro Pro or plain text).

Overall the program offers a huge amount of flexibility in terms of customization - you can even edit the .xsl files that are used for displaying the data if you want.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Cataloging Software  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2009 - 04:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:
I use an Excel spreadsheet with columns detailing:

Artist
Title
Label
Cat No.
Year of Release
Condition Vinyl
Condition Cover
Speed of Disc
Size of Disc
Notes (details regarding condition, colored vinyl, posters, reissue, import, etc.....)

Thanks for this, I just started an excel workbook with these exacts columns. Going to start the long process of documenting all my LPs soon.

Jump to: