The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
leifertinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2010 - 11:41 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I've been collecting vinyls since last march.
I'm fairly new to the scene but once I found the right settings on my surround speakers, I realized what I was missing out on for all of the music I've gathered through the years in iTunes. Jumping between a full quality CD (Ripped to the comp as FLAC, then converted to AIFF then burned.) and a vinyl of the same album (for the most part) is so harsh. The vinyl surrounds me without the need of the back two speakers and it doesn't give me a headache. It's always good to have the CD for the car though Smile .

Anyway, I soon realized that keeping track of my collection would be tedious. So I looked around and found only one option for Mac: Vinyl Tracker. It hadn't been updated for 4 years and the download links on every site I could find it were dead. So I took it upon myself to make the solution: MyVinyl. It's free and connects with Discogs in many ways. It will always be a work-in-progress but whenever I think of something new, I add it. I'm always open to suggestions too!

Sorry Windows and Linux users, I only know Applescript so I can't really port it to you guys.

Reply with quote Back to top
karloffsidekick
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2010 - 12:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

HOLY SMOKES! I just downloaded your MyVinyl program, pulled an random album off the shelf and downloaded all the info from Discogs...I'm one for one! Now only thousands more to go.

Just two suggestions of the top of my empty skull....I'd probably ditch the first column (#) and perhaps format (since there is only one true format - and, it's called MYVINYL ain't it?). I'd replace those with a little NOTES column so I can put in stuff like "LP MINT JACKET CRAP" or the like.

Nice work!

Rich Z.

leifertinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2010 - 01:44 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Haha thank you! I'm glad you like it.

About the format and # columns, I implemented column hiding about a week ago. It's in preferences.
Notes actually appear to the right of the album art (since they can be quite lengthy I didn't want to confine them to a table cell.)
If they aren't auto-filled in then you can add/edit them by clicking the button with three stacked horizontal lines.

karloffsidekick
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2010 - 01:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Again...this is a really neat program you created...the tie-in to the Discog album art is a very nice feature! Is there a way just to stick in say a "Misc." column option for a collector to use as he/she chooses?

RZ

leifertinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2010 - 02:28 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Sure, I'll have it done before tomorrow.

I was thinking of adding either a rating or condition column too. Which would be more appropriate?
Or maybe both, so you can give a start rating and a NM, VG, G score.

leifertinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2010 - 02:30 PM
Level 2
Level 2

*star

karloffsidekick
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2010 - 02:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'd go with condition (possible abbreviating it as COND to conserve column space)....that said, nix the MISC. idea I mentioned earlier. I'm not fond of the SCORE idea...if it's a piece of crap, I don't own it and if it's a great album I don't have to remind myself of that fact...make sense?

RZ

leifertinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2010 - 02:37 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Quote:
I'd go with condition (possible abbreviating it as COND to conserve column space)....that said, nix the MISC. idea I mentioned earlier.

Alright

Quote:
I'm not fond of the SCORE idea...if it's a piece of crap, I don't own it and if it's a great album I don't have to remind myself of that fact...make sense?

Haha true.

leifertinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 31, 2010 - 03:52 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Okay it's done. You can get it from the same place or from the updater in the program.

couplandesqueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 - 02:26 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I use a program called OrangeCD, and have been using it since 2004. I really like it. I used to catalogue all of my music in HTML. I catalogue album covers and tracklistings, so this program really works well for that. I like that there's several ways to search (title, artist, format, etc.) and different fields that you can customize (for example, one of my fields is listing the country of release). You can export your collection into HTML if you want to upload your own website, or you can export it to a music catalogue site called Racks and Tags. It's pretty nice.

It's maybe not for everyone, but I love it. You can download a free 30-day trial, and then purchasing the software is a little under $40. I usually use freeware programs for stuff like this, but I loved this program so much that I forked over the money for it.

http://www.firetongue.com/

I swear, I don't work for them or anything -- I just really love this software.

Kris

Jump to: