The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) records?
10% - 25%
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
25% - 50%
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
50% - more
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
too young (or cheap) to buy new records
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

aravelOffline
23 Post subject: Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) records?  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 - 02:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: Since I checked last week end:

My collection goes about 65% new and 35% pre-owned records...and If you wonder about the specific U2 record collection that one goes: 25% new and 75% pre-owned! Shocked

How about you guys (and girls)? Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
magic1313Offline
Post subject: RE: Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) records?  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 - 04:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Unless a time machine is invented and I can go back to the 50's, 60's and even 70's, I would say 98% of my collection is pre-owned. I guess that puts me in the too young category.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: RE: Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) records?  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 - 04:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have probably close to 150 or more records that I bought new and still sealed, possibly more. But I have hundreds more that are from the 80s, 70s, and 60s. However, when you look at the setup in my room, of a shelf laying on its side with 8 equal sized square places to put records, almost three of them are filled with brand new records (i.e. 2005 and sooner pretty much). I have some recent records that are used, but most of my newer ones have only had the one owner.

lamasOffline
Post subject: RE: Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) records?  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 - 05:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
Quote:

Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) records

When you click for the poll..........are you clicking for....... more NEW....... or more USED ?

aravelOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) record  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 - 06:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

lamas wrote:
Quote:

Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) records

When you click for the poll..........are you clicking for....... more NEW....... or more USED ?

Shocked good question

first numbers gotta be NEW
second numbers gotta be USED

and about the time machine, I could use it to grab that first MEX pressing of 'The Unforgettable Fire' gray-cover by U2...it goes above the hundreds today!

keep posting my friends, I'll be back

aravel

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
OldiesmannOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) re  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 - 07:44 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I'm also in the too young/cheap category. Most of my records came from thrift stores or eBay, though I did buy a few 45s from Collectibles Records several years ago (all re-issues).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Bush Monkey
Post subject: Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned)  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2009 - 11:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mine are mostly all pre-owned.

I have only bought 2 new (made in this decade) vinyls. I prefer the older vinyls.

I don't consider my SS ones new, cause they're old too.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2009 - 12:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I still don't understand the poll (first number new, second number used - isn't 25-50 a range ?), so I can't vote, but will just comment that 99.99% of my records were bought used (even if they're still sealed, they were purchased long after they were newly issued). I've got one record that I bought from a new record dealer, Radiohead's "In Rainbows", and I haven't opened it.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2009 - 02:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
I've got one record that I bought from a new record dealer, Radiohead's "In Rainbows", and I haven't opened it.

I wouldn't hold out hope that this will be worth a pretty penny one day, it's not exactly a rare album. Then again, I guess people go crazy for sealed stuff.

mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2009 - 02:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I'm with Hrt. I'm almost exclusively used.
The records I purchased new were almost all before I got my driver's license (in 1976). After that, a whole new world opened up -- the used record stores. There were five or six good ones on the Ohio State University campus, and I hit them almost every weekend. I've enjoyed the scavenger-hunt aspect of this obsession almost from the beginning -- going into the store looking for nothing in particular, and buying what struck my fancy. Those stores also afforded me the opportunity to take chances -- if I bought something because, for instance, the cover intrigued me, and it turned out I didn't like it, I could take it back to the used record store the following weekend and trade it for something else. To quote Wavy Gravy, I was in heaven, man. I think the last record I bought new was Rush "2112".

Jump to: