The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Your Collection: More New or Used (pre-owned) records?
10% - 25%
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
25% - 50%
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
50% - more
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
too young (or cheap) to buy new records
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2009 - 11:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ChadFromCanada wrote:
hrtshpdbox wrote:
I've got one record that I bought from a new record dealer, Radiohead's "In Rainbows", and I haven't opened it.

I wouldn't hold out hope that this will be worth a pretty penny one day, it's not exactly a rare album. Then again, I guess people go crazy for sealed stuff.

:::You're right Chad, 'In Rainbows' was that album that Radiohead put on sale in mp3 format (160 kpbs). When it was released I used my credit card and paid about $ 1 GBP for it, because morality went down on me, later I knew that some people paid less than 2 USA cents for it...later it was spread all over internet free.

I do own this LP in USA pressing, (UK it's a double 10" album, special package), and it's weird, since I have the entire album discography of Radiohead that this one it's the only album I don't have on CD (just LP & mp3 formats) Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2009 - 03:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

aravel wrote:
ChadFromCanada wrote:
hrtshpdbox wrote:
I've got one record that I bought from a new record dealer, Radiohead's "In Rainbows", and I haven't opened it.

I wouldn't hold out hope that this will be worth a pretty penny one day, it's not exactly a rare album. Then again, I guess people go crazy for sealed stuff.

:::You're right Chad, 'In Rainbows' was that album that Radiohead put on sale in mp3 format (160 kpbs). When it was released I used my credit card and paid about $ 1 GBP for it, because morality went down on me, later I knew that some people paid less than 2 USA cents for it...later it was spread all over internet free.

I do own this LP in USA pressing, (UK it's a double 10" album, special package), and it's weird, since I have the entire album discography of Radiohead that this one it's the only album I don't have on CD (just LP & mp3 formats) Shocked

Usually LPs are much more expensive than the CDs, but I got In Rainbows regular edition for $15 cdn at HMV.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2009 - 03:55 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ChadFromCanada wrote:
Usually LPs are much more expensive than the CDs, but I got In Rainbows regular edition for $15 cdn at HMV.
I can remember back when (mid-late 1980s) it was the other way round; retail price of CDs was about double that of the equivalent LP, bonus track(s) or not.

B_big.Offline
15 Post subject: Still in pretty new condition  PostPosted: Dec 10, 2009 - 08:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    As I understand the poll right, it's about the state of the recordings when I bought them?! Well, then I have more than 50% new vinyls. Maybe I'm really gettin' old? But I buy new vinyls today as well, long live new vinyl and the high quality reissues.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2009 - 08:45 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

aravel wrote:
... 'In Rainbows' was that album that Radiohead put on sale in mp3 format (160 kpbs). When it was released I used my credit card and paid about $ 1 GBP for it, because morality went down on me, later I knew that some people paid less than 2 USA cents for it...later it was spread all over internet free.

That's what I paid for the (rather low bitrate) MP3 - nada. I knew I was going to plunk down for the LP, though, so I was morally unqualmed (new word alert!).

aravel wrote:
... since I have the entire album discography of Radiohead that this one it's the only album I don't have on CD (just LP & mp3 formats)

Do you have MP3's of the leaked early Hail To The Thief? Some of the songs are quite a bit different ("I Will", for instance, has an intro that disappeared from the official version).

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2009 - 09:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::::Heartshpdbox, I must say that the mp3 Radiohead's formats I have are actually mp3 files rip off my own cd collection! Hard to explain, but I don't find interest on download "official" studio material (like all of us); I use p2p services to get bootlegs and rare stuff not available on vinyl or Lp.

By the time " hail" was released, I was not familiar with the download stuff. I just bought the "city map-LT ED" cd. I've read about it in some Radiohead forums (probably you know GReen Plastic- best fan site): this is a mini-list of my mini-Radiohead collection:

--Vynil
OK computer(reissue, best find of 2009 ---see thread in forum) , In Rainbows (US), Bends UK

--Cd
MEX editions of: Pablo, Bends & Kid
USA: none! only cd singles of Airbag & Com lag, how I'm driving
EU: LTd editions of Hail (city map), Kid (hard cover book), Amnesiac (red book), OK regular cd (1st edition), and that hard cardboard White Box digipaks
JAP: itch (my brother lost the jewel case --along others- in his car in a theft, only got disc because it was inside the car's audio system!! Confused

I didn't bought the Best of editions, neither dvd or the 2-disc digipaks re-issues, since I read somewhere that the profits will not go to Radiohead but EMI-parlaphone instead (they've ended their contract with Parlaphone in a bad terms)...so we were advised that the band (they said) wanted us to buy 'In Rainbows' instead ...but, Man, that 4 LP box set of Best Of Radiohead it's a beauty!!! I want it!! Rolling Eyes

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
retro71Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 - 09:53 AM
Level 2
Level 2

My libary is almost all old. I love the nostaliga, originality and history of an orig pressing.

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 - 12:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

retro71 wrote:
My libary is almost all old. I love the nostaliga, originality and history of an orig pressing.

::: Two years and a half later, but I like your reply, man.

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 - 10:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

aravel wrote:
retro71 wrote:

::: Two years and a half later, but I like your reply, man.

I'm wondering how newer members constantly dredge up these old threads. I can barely find stuff I saw a few weeks ago by using the search function (unless they are just picking a subforum and going through page after page until they find a topic title that interests them).

djdaffy1227Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2012 - 06:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mostly used. Don't think I've bought a new record in years.

Jump to: