The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ApoplecticOffline
Post subject: Re: How perfect does NM have to be?  PostPosted: Aug 02, 2011 - 12:06 PM
Level 4
Level 4

worldmusic wrote:
Evidently I'm a strict grader due to buyers feedback, but I'm a little confused about a pink floyd album the wall, which I bought from the store, and am labeling it nm. I know it plays flawlessly, but due to the way it was made, there are what I would call cirrus clouds, little visible blemishes under strong light. If I was the buyer, I wouldn't care as long as it sounded good. Is a record NM if these blemishes are from how the lp was made, rather than what the owner did?

If the blemishes are in fact from the minting process, and there are no other problems such as any scratches or anything like that then I would consider it mint, since those blemishes were there since the record were still fresh from the pressing. Is there anyway to tell if it were from minting, I have no idea.

Just my 2.

Reply with quote Back to top
chewyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2011 - 04:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I personally wouldn't call a record Mint or even NM is it had issues from the pressing process.Especially if it affected the playing of the record.

The games you play
Make people say
You're either weird or lonely

At The Chime Of A City Clock-Nick Drake
http://kurttherecordcollector.blogspot.com/

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 03, 2011 - 11:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I go with Chewy on that. A NM record should look and sound perfect in every way.
Quote:
Is there anyway to tell if it were from minting, I have no idea.

The only way, to the best of my knowledge, would be if the defect was discovered upon opening a still sealed album that you knew for certain was still in the original factory shrink wrap.

DeadDogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 - 04:49 PM
Level 5
Level 5

i definitely subscribe to the idea that a seller, as a general rule, lower the grade by one and allow a buyer to be pleasantly surprised if their personal grading system is less refined. also, provide photo's of any "scuffs" or "scratches"... you can never provide too many photos.

T-BoneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2011 - 08:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

If your name is Bob Djukic a cover with gigantic dog ears in each and every corner and scribbles all across the back is a VG++. So how perfect does NM have to be? Depends on what your name is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350509807679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2011 - 09:39 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

T-Bone wrote:
If your name is Bob Djukic a cover with gigantic dog ears in each and every corner and scribbles all across the back is a VG++. So how perfect does NM have to be? Depends on what your name is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350509807679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That guy has a good reputation, but I agree...based on his description, I would not rate that cover any more than a strong VG. Then again, he could be overstating every minor flaw, so in person it might look much better.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2011 - 01:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I agree with mackdaddyg. The photos look like a VG.

bommierockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2011 - 05:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That cover is very good by BJ. Looks like he needs one to send his grades down a bit.

Leon

throbbingpuppyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2011 - 10:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The way they grade the cover can be a very useful indicator of how they probably over graded the vinyl too. If a cover like that is considered VG++, then imagine how the vinyl would be over graded as well.

T-BoneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2011 - 02:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Oh, my! 338 dollars!!! Shocked Laughing I paid 20 for my copy in better condition, but on the other hand the guy I bought it from wasn't named Bob Djukic. What's up with this guy?!? Good reputation, yeah I know. But reputation for what? Confused Along with every record you buy from him you get a house maid, a record player and a years supply of beer? Or what? Things like this can easily drive me nuts! Seriously. Laughing Are people really this stupid?

Jump to: