The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
anthonyvpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 24, 2009 - 12:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have mixed feelings on this subject...on one hand I would honored if someone left me their collection. On the other hand the idea that one would have to pass away bothers me.
My records are going to be split between my 2 brothers and 2 sisters (if they want them). My thought on the process would be to have everyone take every 4th record.

I also thought to really bug them, I'd give one A to F and another G to L....etc.

Reply with quote Back to top
PuckforbrainsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 24, 2009 - 02:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RidinTheWind wrote:
Quote:
What type of serious response were you hoping? Were you hoping others would share their plans for the collections?

I was hoping for responses about setting up a forum where people could contact RCG members living in or near their region.

That way, maybe I could find someone who would actually play my records after I'm gone. They wouldn't have to spend any money, just pick them up.

As mentioned before, I have no desire for them to end up in a dumpster or just closeted away in some collection never to see the light of day.

I understand, I do. I will one day want my collection to go to someone who will appreciate it. As anthonyvp posted, it would be an honor to have someone leave you a collection but at the same time sad. Although the person who passes would be happy knowing someone was able to enjoy those records for years afterward. I know I would be.

Fireflite
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 24, 2009 - 06:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Since some of us aren't young sprouts any more and given the state of the economy and our pension plans
(reaches into pocket to check latest update on IRA) it's quite possible , regardless of family lurkers
either for the vinyl or the cash (cash in my case), that as a last ditch effort we may have to part
with them to keep the lights on before we're done. Also in a few cases, myself included, in the city space is a premium.
I have quite a large apartment considering, but a sizeable proportion is taken up with vinyl and I have to find more space somehow.
Trying to find a way to hang them from the ceiling but that's for later. Fortunately my wife is a champ,
who loves to hear the oddball specimens I troll home with. I know several people who would volunteer but no space,
so assuming the best I would have to go a little farther afield. Jerry, put your tongue back in and wipe the drool off your shirt.

Also relative to your case and I think the issue has come up before -I and probably others don't know where you live or even close,
and this is true of several members. Now if I were to live near you, rather than see them split, I would take them in and give them a good home, but combing
the country looking for your house at 8 miles /gallon is not the way to go.
So even though I think your idea is a good one -it does have a flaw.
So before the end is nigh put up where you are and work something out with someone local.

T

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 25, 2009 - 12:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I would certainly love for someone to enjoy my records after I die, and I or anyone of us can pass at any given time without warning, as evidenced earlier this year with the death of our dear friend, Terry Nelson.

I think RTW's initial post upthread is heartwarming, to say the least. I appreciate collectors thinking of other collectors in this vain. It's one of the reasons I ejnoy the dialogue and comradery with you upstanding RCGers. Most of the time what I find for pennies on the dollar in thrifts and don't keep I pass along to other RCGers (and even other record lovers who aren't members here) for less than ebay value. Sometimes when I buy or trade from RCGers I offer more value in trade or money as well. I just like records and collecting them and sharing that with others who feel the same way about it. I have spent a lot of time learning and digging and discovering, and it has paid off with a fine collection of goodies. And plenty of TUC, of course.

Since I recently moved ALL of my collection to a central place in my home I KNOW the work it takes to organize and house a lot of records. We probably all know how massive our collections are, but we really feel it when we pick all of them up twice in one week to move or organize or restructure or whatever. It is a real job. I have about 4,000 lps. We're always building new shelves and moving in the recent haul or moving out the culls.

This recent experience taught me a lesson. I can't maintain or take care of as much as I'd like to. Time and energy and space does not permit this. I still have room to grow, but not beyond 6,000 records. AND That number seems almost rediculous, too. But I can't help it. I just love the little buggers.just

What's going to happen to them when I die? I don't know how I can plan for that. My bro lives in NYC and has NO SPACE for my collection. He might like several dozen titles, but going through the lot for that number unrealistic. My wife loves the music, but doesn't want the records. My mom doesn't want the records. I KNOW I HAVE FRIENDS WHO WANT THE RECORDS, THOUGH. And I found them through RCG.

I do have my collection sorted by genre to make matters a bit easier. I have these sections: Classical; Opera; Country; Folk; Male vocalists (like Chubby Checker, Jimmy Clanton, Bobby Darin, Rod McKuen, Nilsson, Sinatra, Tom Jones, and much more); Female vocalists (like Streisand, Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell, and more, but not Emmylou Harris [country] or Annie Lenox [rock] and other obvious stuff; Jazz (which includes vocals by both male and female artists); Rock (which includes all types of rock and excludes early rock like Checker, Darin, Clanton and rockabilly that I put in with country); Soul, funk, and R&B; Windam Hill (and similar sounds like Narada label); International (includes reggae and Calypso and stuff like that and non-USA originating male and female vocalists, but excludes Flamenco and some other guitarists which all go into Classical section); Comedy; Children's.

I think that sums it all up. But all this has to written in a will or a trust or whatever I have done. I think if I decide to give all the records to one or more RCG friends, it needs to be spelled out legally. It certainly takes commitment from all parties involved.

It is something of value. I have spent hard earned money on all this. So family will think about the dollars involved. That's just what happens. I'll talk about this with my wife and try to report back about it soon.

I would definitely take in someone elses collection or part of their collection or whatever. I certainly can't BUY a collection, though. I just don't operate on that level.

We see this happening all the time where someone has died and there are 30,000 78's or 100,000 records to liquidate or something crazy like that. I remember we have a fellow RCGer that inherited a spectacular pic disc collection and he is not really a fellow collector, but he did learn about it all and listed it on ebay and has made many sales. The whole collection got split up. I'm sure there are many others of us here that would have flipped out had someone left us a collection of that caliber. But maybe it would be too much to maintain? I dunno. I think I could figure something out and keep most of it together. Who knows.

Gosh, I'm just rambling on and on. But this is serious biz. We can't be in control of what happens to our collection when we die, really. So maybe if I feel I have some warning about it, I'll start giving it away or selling it for much less than it is worth or whatever. Maybe start ebay listings at 99 cents and see what happens. How long does it take to list 4-6 thousand records on ebay? pant pant.......That would just consume any person's life. So selling or giving in bulk will probably happen.

Martin, you have records that are worth something, and I only had time to look at the A's shelf to notice this. So why not list them for sale and see what you get? Records are like any collectible and the price changes with the times. I know you value them more than you think others do, but what the hell are you gonna do when you are unable to do anything with them? I mean, if you are hospitalized or something and things don't go well, you won't be able to do anything with them yourself, anyway. Your daughter will come in or ask someone in the estate sale biz to do it 'cause moving 5 or 10 thousand records is a bitch. And for the inexperienced and unknowledgeable, what about that scenario? I know you don't think I'm being insensitive here. I also know that records is what makes you tick, too. SO this is a touchy subject.

So I think I like knowing all this has value and that I have some real gems, but it won't matter to someone who doesn't care. We all know that's what happens to estates when people die. The stuff just gets sold to the highest bidder, or taken to GOODWILL, or something like that. And then some happy soul like me or you comes along and finds a goldmine and gets lucky with finding these gems. If we're lucky enough to stumble into the GOODWILL and find them, then we score big.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 - 08:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Legacy Suggestions for Record Collection

If you don't get hit by a bus. When you feel like you'll soon be shuffling off this mortal coil, sell them. Not to friends, at a good price, but to far-flung strangers for every penny you can possibly get. Then leave that money to your relatives who, after all, have had to suffer your weird hobby - they'll be much more appreciative of that than if you left them some records that they don't know what to do with.

If you do get hit by a bus. Have auctions prepared and ready to go, with careful instructions, so that relatives can deal with it.

If you wish you'd get hit by a bus. Poverty renders the debate meaningless - sell them now to afford Sterno and Spam.

lamasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 - 12:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
I remember reading somewhere that one of the advantages of downloads was that you were not leaving your relatives a problem after you were gone

I have no intention of starting to download....like other here I just like the " real thing "

Riding............here is a question for you

Have you made a will ?

In my own case I am hoping that I am outlived by a fellow collector.who would help my estate .turn them into money

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 - 01:04 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
I and probably others don't know where you live or even close, and this is true of several members.

I thought others knew from previous posts that I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I guess they must have been boring posts. Laughing
Quote:

Have you made a will ?

Yes. At this time, it states that my records will be split between two collectors that I know, but unfortunately, they do not play the records that they collect.
Quote:
If you wish you'd get hit by a bus.

At the rate things are going anymore, that might not be a bad idea. Wink

vinylhunterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2009 - 04:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Should really start selling them now since we are planning on downsizing to a smaller place in 2010. We were 4 when moved in 4+ years ago. It's now down to D and I. We don't own and can be saving $5K plus a year in a smaller place. We don't want to move but that kind of money...... and at our age and being without the proverbial pot...blah blah blah blah blah.
The problem here, is that I am the laziest person I know and thankfully have a job, so what's the hurry. Here's the way i see it going right now.Believe it or not, I moved in here with not one record. I have only been collecting since that time. As a whole, the measily few thousand my collection might be worth today, ain't worth dealing with by those grieving my loss. Dori has a few business cards for Infinity Records. I know that Joe would treat her right.
It could go this way too which wouldn't bother me a bit. Fireflite calls the house, finds out I ain't here no mo'. He calls HRT and they come dig some rekkids. You guys wanna call in some others, go right ahead. They are all gratis. Okay, now I said it. Wasn't that the point in the beginning? Guess i should let Dori know.
Oh, and this cough I got, don't seem to being going away.................

Fireflite
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2009 - 06:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

On the way, Charlie -scribble out a note to make it official.

T

MacJazzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010 - 12:02 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

It becomes obvious that we I'm kidding myself and maybe we are all kidding ourselves to a great degree and possibly we are all doing the same Thing.

I've now posted 60 items right off the top of the first shelf of my collection--that includes Cannonball Adderley, Mose Allison and others. I didn't even pt prices on them, just put them up for offers or even just for "discussion." I sold one.

Well, I thought, this is collectors. Maybe they want the good stuff. I posted 50 honest to God 10" LP Collectibles--A very early Miles Davis track, a Pre Decca Inkspots, one of the earliest Riverside LPs, dds etc.

I got zilch. And this is supposed to be the "Collectors" area.

Either I've got a lot of stuff to shovel out or something.

Jump to: