The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
izzy007Offline
Post subject: Cracked 45's and 78's  PostPosted: Dec 21, 2009 - 09:16 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I have several old 45's and 78's that have cracks in them. Is there any good way to repair them, or are they for hanging on the wall/trash?

Reply with quote Back to top
gbfrank
Post subject: RE: Cracked 45  PostPosted: Dec 21, 2009 - 11:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Cracked 78s can be glued. Playing with the heavy 78 needles will cut through the glue and you should have an
acceptable sound.

Gluing 45s may do some serious damage to your stylus, as contemporary "needles" are not strong enough to
push their way through the glue without, maybe, ruining them.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Cracked 45  PostPosted: Jan 06, 2010 - 12:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Some members have reported good results by first aligning the edges where the record is cracked and then only applying glue to the deadwax and outer rim. I believe super glue was mentioned for 45's and something of a slightly thicker consistency for 78's.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 06, 2010 - 01:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yes, I've glued the very outer edge of 45s, after lining it all up flat; the needle never comes close to the glue.

Cracked 45s are not necessarily trash, though; here's three cracked ones that somebody (not me) just sold last week.

hood1982Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 - 08:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I tried this with success to my surprise!! I was cleaning some 78s and while drying a Hank Sr. 78 a 5-6 in chunk in the shape of a moon broke off. I was going to trash it so I figured I might as well try something
just to see what happened. I ran the smallest bead of wood glue down the entire length of the crack, pushed the two pieces together and immediately wiped the excess with a damp towel. I flipped it over and did the
same on the other side. Then I made sure it was as flush as I could get it. The thing was bonded in no time and as sturdy as new. Played through with a few ticks but better than trashing it.
As long as the towel is damp and you push the edges tight enough to get ALL excess out, and wipe immediately, the glue won't ruin the record. At least in this case it didn't. Worth a shot when there's nothing to lose!!!!

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 - 08:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Glad someone could salvage a chipped-out 78, especially if rare, or of sentimental value.
But gluing one of those chunks perfectly back in place doesn't surprise me- ya got a thick (yet
fragile) edge to work with...

Now, a cracked 45? How the hell can ya get a bead of glue aligned perfect/neatly on an edge
that freakin' thin?? Total ball-crusher... Had more than a few that would track (when gently
aligned as perfect as possible), butshit, it would take a skilled SOB (& a microscope?) to inject
a perfect bead of glue from a hypo into some of those 50s/60s local 45 pressings- that thin...
That's such a heartbreaker finding an otherwise SUPERB condition 45 of some obscurity, to only
later discover it's actually cracked... Sad

hood1982Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 - 09:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yeah man!! For 45s all you can do it lay something on it to hold the flush and use the brush superglue to hit the edges. It seems like they never flush up perfectly though.
Tick,Tick,Tick,Tick,Tick.... Crying or Very sad

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 - 12:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I had one 45 that was cracked from the hole through the dead wax, just short of the grooves.

Whoever first suggested using super glue said to first align the crack, then, apply a VERY small amount along the crack. He said the crack itself will suck in the glue. I tried it on the above mentioned 45, which is a hard to find instrumental BTW, and it worked!

The only thing noticeable is a slightly raised line of dry glue along the repair.

Jump to: