The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fireflite
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2010 - 01:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Come to NY. I'll give you a special tourist's only over the top view of it
I would never pass you by.

T

Reply with quote Back to top
B_big.Offline
27 Post subject: Review - pt. 1  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 03:29 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool

Back home from NYC and the heat (100F and 95% Humidity) into 96F but luckily just 65% humidity!

Nevertheless my wife (Marci) and I had a great time in the big city! The hotel (The Staybridge Suites Times Square) was directly alongside central bus station straight in the center of constant hurry, big hustle, and many cuss. About 3 blocks away from Broadway and Times Square.

We walked quite a lot through downtown and it was amazing to see the things in real, that I've seen only on TV so far.

We met 'Fireflite', he has been very kind and helpful with hints regarding decent record shops and suggestions in general. We've even cleared many things by email before we traveled. I take the opportunity to thank you once again my friend, for your outstanding sightseeing tour and your explanations which helped us so much to become a little familiar with the 'real' NYC. No matter if it was Brooklyn, Queens, Coney Island or even the famous Rockaway Beach, we've seen many places, that we wouldn't have seen as a ordinary tourist. Additionally we got lots of interesting information about the changes the city has made through the years, and he made clear, that they weren't good in many cases.

We had lunch at one of the few typical American Diner, that still exists. It really looked like the one's I knew from the movies. We had a very nice and interesting chat about NYC, record collecting, and the experiences we've made during our lives.

We caught big attention because of his 1958 'Desoto Fireflite', he wasn't always amused about the people's reaction. It really was a very special experience to be driven around in this gorgeous car!

We drove around for about 6 hours, and after that 'Fireflite' invited us to his home. Here we had the chance to recover from the heat, with help of his powerful air-condition. He has a really impressing 7-inch singles collection, again we had the chance to talk about records, music, and collecting.

Let me thank a truly kind and congenial buddy for his efforts to give us a very special welcome to his home town.

Will be continued shortly about the date with 'Paulsvinyl' !! Smile

Car+me.jpg
 Description:
The 'Desoto Fireflite' and me at the car park
 Filesize:  55.41 KB
 Viewed:  444 Time(s)

Car+me.jpg

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

lamasOffline
Post subject: RE: Review - pt. 1  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 05:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
Sounds a great trip B. Big.....and looks as though.............. FIREFLITE.......gave you a REALLY good time

That is nice to hear

Hope you never talked FOOTBALL ( lol).......he doesn't like it

It is a lovely car though...one to DROOL over

Talking of football I have no doubt you and I will BOTH be watching the Germany Argentina match this afternoon
Geoffrey

B_big.Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Review - pt. 1  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 11:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

lamas wrote:
Sounds a great trip B. Big.....and looks as though.............. FIREFLITE.......gave you a REALLY good time. That is nice to hear.

Hope you never talked FOOTBALL ( lol).......he doesn't like it

It is a lovely car though...one to DROOL over

Talking of football I have no doubt you and I will BOTH be watching the Germany Argentina match this afternoon
Geoffrey
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Yep, we had a great day. Because both of us are no soccer fans, there was not a single word about soccer!

Nevertheless Marci and I watched the second half of today's game, when we returned from swimming in our favorite lake (94F - today!).

lamasOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Review - pt. 1  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 12:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
Quote:

Nevertheless Marci and I watched the second half of today's game

Yes well that was hardly likely to put a DAMPNER on your day ( loL)

FOUR .NIL indeed.... (lol) ........and against the team I THOUGHT would win the competition

Fireflite
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Review - pt. 1  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 08:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
Let me thank a truly kind and congenial buddy for his efforts to give us a very special welcome to his home town.

It was my pleasure and a lot of fun, I don't get to do it that often anymore either.

T

B_big.Offline
6 Post subject: NYC visit review pt. 2 (member meets member)  PostPosted: Jul 04, 2010 - 07:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool

When we arrived at JFK in NYC and I switched on my cell-phone (the new toy!), the first that I received was a message from Paul, asking if everything went fine, and immediately I felt no more absolutely as a stranger. Thank you Paul, for this very kind evidence of care.

We had cleared the essential things for our date in approach of my visit. That means exchanging photographs, so we know how each of us is looking. He suggested to meet at the 'Pony Bar', 637 10th Ave. 10036 New York City. We met on Saturday at 1 pm when the bar was still fairly empty. Paul came with a friend from Brooklyn and we had a very pleasant conversation about the reason of our visit and our families. He showed me a photograph of his two little boys, they are really cute, and I showed him pictures of my daughter and the granddaughters as well. I told him about my record digging experiences in NYC, and that I liked 'Academy Records' (lower east side) most. He confirmed and said, that this shop has real good quality recordings. What impressed me most was the fact, that they keep them all in 'poly' outer sleeves.
When I told him, that the guy there offered me 5 original Gene Vincent E.P.'s in picture sleeves for $ 100.00 each, he informed me, that they were priced far too high and that he will watch out for them and will let me know about their prices. I said, that I highly appreciate his offer.

We had two very pleasant hours there before the bar became awfully crowded and noisy. We weren't aware of that day's soccer game, that was with the U.S.A. The soccer enthusiast met there for public viewing. After a short while we decided to leave, because conversation wasn't possible any longer.

Did you see, that we obviously love the same type of hairdo?

This was the second 'Guild' member I met, and one more truly positive and inspiring experience.

Paul+me.jpg
 Description:
Paul (left) and me (right) at the Pony Bar
 Filesize:  54.55 KB
 Viewed:  403 Time(s)

Paul+me.jpg

PonyBar-outside-550x96.jpg
 Description:
Pony Bar - front view
 Filesize:  34.43 KB
 Viewed:  403 Time(s)

PonyBar-outside-550x96.jpg

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: NYC visit review pt. 2 (member meets member)  PostPosted: Jul 04, 2010 - 10:35 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Sounds like a great visit to NYC B_Big! Made all the better by meeting two fellow record collectors. And that car of Tony's.... it's beautiful!

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2010 - 10:39 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Nice pictures,Big ! Sounds like you had a good time and saw the sights. Is New York like what you thought it would be ?

B_big.Offline
2 Post subject: My impressions of NYC  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2010 - 04:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    First of all, thank you for your kind attention on this topic. It feels good to see, that you're interested in my experiences.

To be honest, NYC wasn't so overwhelming as I'd expected it to be. Don't get me wrong, it's a very impressive city, but fantasy seems to be always ahead of reality. Just one example, Times Square wasn't that big as I always thought. On TV or film it all seems to be much bigger than it really is. It was nice to be there and see all the illuminated commercials though.

I was positively surprised when I realized, that not the whole city consists of sky-scrapers, like it is downtown Manhattan. My concerns of getting lost in the canyons of NYC were dispensable, and I felt relief. When I stalked through the 'Lower East Side' record diggin', I really was fascinated to see, a different side of the city. Because of 'Fireflite's' efforts to show us various facets of his home town I fell in love with NYC. It is an outstanding city, completely different to what I'd expected it to be. Here it proves how one can get fooled by second hand information. I thought NYC is just Manhattan, good to know, that this isn't the only face of this fascinating city.

I had just a few things to worry about. Beside the temperature, I've already reported about, it was the map of the subway, that was rather confusing. In this case my cell-phone helped me again. With access to the Web I looked at 'HopStop' , a site I discovered, to find out, how to reach your destination with public transportation. I was lucky having WLAN-Internet-access at the hotel for free. Another great feature of this smart phone, the navigation for pedestrians helped me to find the record shops, 'Fireflite' suggested, without going astray.

To convince you, that I'm not a wimp, I attach a photograph as evidence, that even the famous Statue of Liberty needed a break in the heat of these days.

StatueOfLiberty-resting.jpg
 Description:
Hot town, summer in the city . . .
 Filesize:  56.64 KB
 Viewed:  369 Time(s)

StatueOfLiberty-resting.jpg

Jump to: