The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: Common stuff is overpriced  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2010 - 04:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm always surprised at the lofty prices listed in price guides for really common items. For instance ABBA 45's, the earlier ones are listed at $5 near mint, the later ones $4. This is so overpriced it's laughable. In my part of the world, if you hit enough record shows and if you're patient, I'll guarantee you could find nearly all of these items (“Ring Ring” for some reason was the toughest by far for me), sometimes even with picture sleeves, for $1 or sometimes even less. To me, it's the common stuff that is so totally overpriced. I think the expensive items are generally much more accurate.

Reply with quote Back to top
StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: RE: Common stuff is overpriced  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2010 - 05:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You are absolutely right Ian,I`ve often wonder that myself.Promo ones are harder to get.None are probably worth $5.In fact for $5 you should be able to pick up all of them at once.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Common stuff is overpriced  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 - 12:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Those prices are the prices charged to a customer who wants a specific item and asks a dealer to sell it to him. They are based primarily on the cost of running a business and keeping a large variety of items in stock.

This is why the wholesale for common items is 10% of retail. Another 80% is needed for various overheads, leaving a 10% profit.

whirlingdiscOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 - 05:58 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

People who aren't "diggers" have the luxury to now sit at their computers and acquire records with a couple of pops of a button. It's far too easy but it may help explain why common records by artists like Abba can get you something like $3.00-$5.00. As a matter of fact, a good friend of mine just sold "Dancing Queen" (the 45) on e bay for $3.00. Factor in a $4.00 shipping fee and that common single just cost this buyer $7.00. Yup...pretty ridiculous!
Still, if you consider that the buyer made the purchase in seconds, didn't have to leave the comfort of his house, paid no money for gas to go to a flea or record show, didn't have to scour through hundreds of other records to make the find and was not inconvenienced in any way, it might be understandable.
Many of us don't like this homogenized method of acquiring records, but obviously some folks do.
The other thing that I have trouble getting my head around is that Abba's last charted single was in 1982. That's 28 years ago! That now qualifies as an "oldie"! Perhaps an "oldie" in NM shape really IS worth $7.00????? (well...not to me, but obviously to some...)

windbagOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 - 06:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Sometimes ya just gotta have "it" and something like a little under $10 total cost is worth the price. Like getting that last Pat Boone Lp on your want list that SHOULD be cheap, but never shows up. I find that whenever I pick up something by a relatively crappy easy listening artist for whichever reason (say for a BAD C&W interest, like some early '70s Al Martino or similar artist), there's a glut of the same title that shows up a few weeks later on e-bay listings for the same or similar titles. I finally broke down and bought a copy of LOVE IS BLUE by Al Martino a while back, after a fairly long wait searching for a nice copy on E-bay, then the title popped up all over the site about a month after I got mine. I guess the sharks searching the $1 Lp dump piles in the used shops suddenly thought Martino got hot. I buy an album for $5 and postage, then all kinds of copies pop up out of the woodwork for $20 and up for a while.

Fireflite
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 - 10:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
I buy an album for $5 and postage, then all kinds of copies pop up out of the woodwork for $20 and up for a while.

Have you ever considered you may be the style barometer you don't think you are.
Tried looking over your shoulder while you type?

T

windbagOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2010 - 08:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Fireflite wrote:
Quote:
I buy an album for $5 and postage, then all kinds of copies pop up out of the woodwork for $20 and up for a while.

Have you ever considered you may be the style barometer you don't think you are.
Tried looking over your shoulder while you type?

T

You've grossly inflated my ego Laughing . Yes, I've generally found it prudent to know what I'm looking for and not give it away by alerting the seller (songwriting credits, producer credits) by asking questions if the price is low enough to take the chance. Considering those daffy-duck EVIL greedy looks I get in a used place when I start pulling out Guy & Ralna and Goulet Lps in the easy racks, when I can see the $ signs pop in the backs of their eyes while they're watching me, I think you could be right. If I don't buy something interesting in the $1-3 rack at the time it's still marked, the next time they've likely removed it and marked it up, thinking that the "market" has finally come in for the garage load of unsalable schlock in the back of the store sitting there for the last 30+ years. Reminds me of Frank Norris's book, THE OCTOPUS, about the business practices of the Southern Pacific Railroad in Central California--if you ask, the price just went up.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2010 - 11:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Perhaps, some of these common 45's can be sold for a higher price because they actually sound as good as they look. I've found that too often most of these 45's from the 70's and later look NM but play G or worse. So, it would seem that a NM record that actually sounds NM is not common and therefore commands a higher price.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2010 - 02:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I like how most of the Osborne guides have major-rareshit priced at peanuts, and oodles of
dime-a-dozen common sheet insanely overpriced. Shocked Shocked

bbgoatboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2010 - 04:11 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I don't know if the value for vinyl is right or wrong. Value is truely what one is willing to pay and like stated above the ease of it.

However if you look at CD's today. if it is just for the music I would suggest folks buy a MP3 down load for a .99. CD's can be made or retro's are being made. 8-20 bucks pending.

But vinyl - has a unique sound, feel and energy about it. It is a dying media. I bet back in the 1880's no one thought buggy whips would be collectable, bottles or pins.

One day many vinyl we in the US consider run of the mill maybe become more valuable than some think. Besides I hear that in Europe, Asia and other parts out side the US are becoming hot spots for all things vinyl (music). Oregonian had a article on it. Russia is getting a good market. I am looking into other markets. Ebay or as I call it FEE BAY, does not do it for me really, sorta a last stop or if I feel lazy.

Jump to: