The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lamasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2010 - 04:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
Quote:

To me, it's the common stuff that is so totally overpriced. I think the expensive items are generally much more accurate.

I think that in the PRICE GUIDES that values quoted ore for MINT copies

MINT copies of RING RING for example may be RARE...so the price guide reflects ithat fact .....HOWEVER ..LESS than MINT copies of that record should be COMMON....and the price of NON MINT copies reflects that fact

With rarer records the NON MINT copies are RARE as well as the MINT copies.......... and so the price of NON MINT coipes is higher than for NON MINT copies of ( say ) RING RING

Reply with quote Back to top
heyjoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2010 - 06:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Most price guides, and I mean the ones who focus on common items, are more about fooling a gullible casual collector into buying a $25 price guide every year to see how much his collection has appreciated. Such guides make sense for real brick and mortar stores who have to cover substantial overhead to use for retail prices. But they do a dis-service to the casual collector who is seduced into thinking every 45 is worth $5 and every album $8. I looked at a carefully prepared list of 2000 45s recently that the owner was absolutely certain would bring several thousand dollars to her. I couldn't offer her even $100 because the real collectibility was not there.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2010 - 11:56 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

bbgoatboy wrote:
... if it is just for the music I would suggest folks buy a MP3 down load for a .99. CD's can be made or retro's are being made. 8-20 bucks pending....
It's impossible for content owners to monkey with an analog signal w/o anyone noticing. But they can set innumerable flags in digital files, (potentially) limiting what listeners can, or are permitted to hear, and in some cases render their hardware vulnerable to attackers ... remember the Sony CD rootkit flap?

bbgoatboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 27, 2010 - 10:27 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I don't remember the rootkit. I know I have 3000 plus songs on my IPOD. Many of which I also have on vinyl. It only costs me .99 for the song. However my vinyl has more value IMO. Point I was making is that the value is what someone will pay.

If a person only sets prices based on the guides sales may not be as plentiful as one may want.

I don't know much about other markets out side the US. I have heard they are growing though.

rastaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2010 - 12:56 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I can't imagine spending any money on an ABBA anything but that is just me.

windbagOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2010 - 04:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
bbgoatboy wrote:
... if it is just for the music I would suggest folks buy a MP3 down load for a .99. CD's can be made or retro's are being made. 8-20 bucks pending....
It's impossible for content owners to monkey with an analog signal w/o anyone noticing. But they can set innumerable flags in digital files, (potentially) limiting what listeners can, or are permitted to hear, and in some cases render their hardware vulnerable to attackers ... remember the Sony CD rootkit flap?

Try here:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/11/sonys_drm_rootk.html

Sony sold computer viruses on CDs that gummed up computers. So if you buy a Sony used CD, it's russian roulette with your PC. Mad

ba33Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 06, 2012 - 08:43 PM
Level 4
Level 4

It amazes me what some people are willing to pay for vinyl to others is junk. You just never know I guess. I saw a rare herb alpert import for $62 buy it now!

Jump to: