The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lamasOffline
Post subject: The 1950'S ........the forgotten decade  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2010 - 06:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
For the last six weeks I have been reeally busy at work with major deadlines at work set for 31st january

BUT today is FEBRUARY...and I have taken a day off and I am now in a position to get more involved with the RCG than I have been of late

A little while ago I mentioned that the 1950's seemed to be overlooked on the radio etc these days...... on the assumption presumably that people alive at the time are now iether dead or deaf............and that it might be an idea to start a thread which just talked about some of the artists and music back then

Part of the problem is knowing which genre on the RCG to include artists from the FIFTIES it is not easy to woprk out where they should go

So this thread is an opportunity for any type of music or artists or labels etc associated with the FIFTIES to be discussed .......

So to start I shall take advantage of the forthcoming aniversary LATER THIS WEEK of the death of BUDDY HOLLY .........RITCHIE VALENS and the BIG BOPPER .and sort of start the ball rolling with them

As they clearly all died in the FIFITIES.they have to qualify

I have already posted a load of scans of my BUDDY HOLLY colection elsewhere in the gallery section.....

he was the FIRST artist that I ever really loved listening to.........My second and third albums that I ever bought were by him.............and the high standard of his recordings still amazes me.and recorded in such a short time too.............not like MICHAEL JACKSON who when you look at it did not release that much material considering the long time he was around

An The BIG BOPPER also wrote songs..............and that one that I always loved was RUNNING BEAR..................which really STOOD OUT at the time

I have CHANTILLY LACE in my collection as well......and also RITCHIE VALENS great double sider DONNA and LA BAMBA

...............such great records they made back then

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: The 1950  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2010 - 09:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i remember the day these 3 died just like it was yesterday, us teenagers though the word was going to end & the adults didn't seem to care one way or the other. i first heard the announcement of the tragedy on the wonderbar radio in my 1955 chevy. i think my fav big bopper record is "walking thru my dreams"

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: The 1950  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2010 - 12:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The 50's had such a great variety of music and the R&R had a fresh raw sound to it that has rarely been duplicated since. Though the 60's put out a lot of great music, someone once said that in the 60's, rock and roll lost the roll.

Lamas, Running Bear, are you talking about a version done by the Big Bopper or the version by Johnny Preston? I only know Preston's version which was a big hit in the States. He also does one of my favorites (rarely heard on radio), Cradle of Love. I was lucky enough to find that one on a 45.

lamasOffline
Post subject: RE: The 1950  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2010 - 04:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:

Lamas, Running Bear, are you talking about a version done by the Big Bopper or the version by Johnny Preston? I only know Preston's version which was a big hit in the States. He also does one of my favorites (rarely heard on radio), Cradle of Love. I was lucky enough to find that one on a 45.

Yes it was the Johnny Preston version I was refering to...The BIG BOPPER wrote it ( J P RICHARDSON )

I have several Johnny Preston singles including CRADLE OF LOVE

oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: RE: The 1950  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2010 - 08:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As much as I love the music of the 1950's, some of it sounds drastically dated. The other day I played "Hot Rod Lincoln" by Charlie Ryan. What a great record, but it sounds ancient to me now. It's almost like that was in another life in a way.

lamasOffline
Post subject: RE: The 1950  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2010 - 01:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:

What a great record, but it sounds ancient to me now. It's almost like that was in another life in a way.

Yes I agree with you OldBil about the 1950's sonding dated and being in ............................" another life "....................

but the bit that caught my eye from your quote was .................. " what a great record "

reason enough for this thread I think............to discuss " great records " from a soon to ge forgotten era

FeloniousOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2010 - 01:57 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Britain's thriving retro scene now covers fifties black Rock and Roll. Clubs which ten years ago were playing sixties soul and R&B are now including previously disdained Rock and Roll records. Of course a number of sixties soul artists started off recording R&R in the fifties and their early tunes are being dug out. Several of the retro labels are re issuing sides from the fifties. On the live front Rockabilly is seeing another revival.

For a taste of what's being played check out the following online college radio shows. You can Listen Again to their archives. Some of them play only old records whilst others mix the oldies with the newies.

http://www.subcity.org/shows/coinintheslot

http://www.subcity.org/shows/shakedown

http://www.subcity.org/shows/onelouder

http://postbocks.com/user/Felonious+Munk/mixes

lamasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 - 04:05 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:

Britain's thriving retro scene now covers fifties black Rock and Roll. Clubs which ten years ago were playing sixties soul and R&B are now including previously disdained Rock and Roll records. Of course a number of sixties soul artists started off recording R&R in the fifties and their early tunes are being dug out. Several of the retro labels are re issuing sides from the fifties. On the live front Rockabilly is seeing another revival.

I do not go to clubs myself anymore and found that information to be quite interesting .......are they playing the music off RECORDS or off CD 's ?

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 - 02:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
reason enough for this thread I think............to discuss " great records " from a soon to ge forgotten era

I don't think the music will ever be forgotton. If someone likes rock, I think they will eventually be led to the original pioneer era.

In my case, I was 5 years old when the 50's ended and didn't start collecting music until 1968 when I got my first phonograph. Even then, my tastes only covered the current hits.

Then, radio stations in the early 70's started having these on-air specials where they would cover the greatest hits year by year from 1954 to the present. Naturally, they played music from the 50's, opening up a new era of music to me. Since then, I've been hooked.

Except for some oldies programs, radio stations don't have those types of specials today, but I think the younger generation of collectors will get exposed to the music either through looking for different sounds to listen to or through talking with other collectors. I wonder how many young collectors started listening to 50's rock from just hanging at the RCG?

FeloniousOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 - 03:34 PM
Level 5
Level 5

lamas wrote:
Quote:

I do not go to clubs myself anymore and found that information to be quite interesting .......are they playing the music off RECORDS or off CD 's ?

On the radio shows its a mix of orginal and re issued vinyl and CDs. At the serious clubs it tends to be vinyl. I must say the clubbers are no concerned with the source of the sound and are more interested in the music.

http://postbocks.com/user/Felonious+Munk/mixes

Jump to: