The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Eski-moeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 - 02:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

rooster wrote:
The 1950's...Doo Wop anyone?

I Do Doo Wop!

i love the 50's era. I didn't know this thread was here. (i need to browse the guild more!)

Moe

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
lamasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 - 01:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
Hiya Moe

............opo in as often as you want

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 - 12:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I heard this for the first time over the weekend, "Mona" by Bo Diddley, a very good rocker. Why is it that the radio stations rarely play his music, and if they do, it's only "Bo Diddley" or "Say Man"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luMQUzJzZLQ

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 - 01:31 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:
Why is it that the radio stations rarely play his music, and if they do, it's only "Bo Diddley" or "Say Man"?

offhand, i'd say it's because those two songs were diddley's highest chart entries. #1 and #3 respectively (US R&B charts). the only other diddley top 10 was "Pretty Thing" (#4, US R&B charts)

rooster

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2011 - 11:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's the thing. They stay mostly with the top 10 or top 40 and so much great music is missed. One station, part of one of the chains, promos itself as playing the greatest hits of all time. Well, I'd like to hear more of the not so greatest hits!

mekOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2011 - 06:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You gotta get off the mainstream radio stations. Find a good community supported radio station.
An example here locally is KFAI http://www.kfai.org/ They have at least one show, called Bop Street, that features the more obscure songs
http://www.kfai.org/bopstreet
another one called Rockin' in Rhythm <-- lots of doo-wop, answer songs, 50s rock and R&B,
http://www.kfai.org/rockininrhythm
you can stream all of their shows going back a few weeks and they really are on the radio here, not just internet

like KFAI, there are lots of other local community radio stations all across the US
look around a bit and you might find one in your area
just plug "community radio stations" and your state or city into your internet search engine and I'm sure you'll find at least one

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2011 - 12:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There are still a few here in my area. Unfortunately, oneof them rarely plays any R&R. It's almost always beach music and doo wop -- the really draggy kind. While some of it is good, most of it is bland. You can only take so much of it. Two others only play oldies once a week. One on Saturday afternoon, and even that often gets pre-empted. The other on Sunday evenings, but only about 10% of their music is not the usual.

There were a couple other stations, but they got gobbled up by chains like Clear Channel.

mekOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2011 - 02:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RidinTheWind wrote:
There are still a few here in my area. Unfortunately, oneof them rarely plays any R&R. It's almost always beach music and doo wop -- the really draggy kind. While some of it is good, most of it is bland. You can only take so much of it. Two others only play oldies once a week. One on Saturday afternoon, and even that often gets pre-empted. The other on Sunday evenings, but only about 10% of their music is not the usual.

There were a couple other stations, but they got gobbled up by chains like Clear Channel.

Well, check out the links above. I know you won't be able to listen to them on your radio in your car but if you're online at home or work it's great internet radio programming.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2011 - 06:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

If you happen to live in Jersey or Delaware Valley you can listen to this one on your car radio if not like me you can listen online Cruisin 92.1 WVLT.And if you are also like me you can add to your want list.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2011 - 11:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
Well, check out the links above. I know you won't be able to listen to them on your radio in your car but if you're online at home or work it's great internet radio programming.

I will. Though having to use a public computer, I'll only be able to give a short listen.

Quote:
If you happen to live in Jersey or Delaware Valley you can listen to this one on your car radio if not like me you can listen online Cruisin 92.1 WVLT.And if you are also like me you can add to your want list.

Will check that one out also.

Thanks all!

Jump to: