The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kollektionistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 28, 2010 - 12:31 AM
Level 2
Level 2

servi wrote:
Wow Ernie11, great disc!!!This is the first time I actually see a picture of this one (just knew it existed). An extremely valuable record. Is the magazine included as well ?

There is no magazine as such. The box (containing 2 flexi's and a bunch of printed material) IS the magazine

Reply with quote Back to top
wynne123Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 - 12:15 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi
I looked in my 7 mowing-boxes of records, and found out, that I got the original Beatles Hottest Hits from 1965. ( I got it from my uncle, many years ago). It is almost complete. Only a very small bend, at the left down corner.
Nothing funny or any names, are written on it. I haven't played it yet, but the record itself looks very good, with no scratches or marks. The album don't look new, but in very good shape.
Maybe I should play it some time?? Or sell it!!!
Take care out there.
From Wynne in Denmark

DougMacOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2013 - 08:55 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I dont' have anything to match most of the items here. However, I've been buying Beatles records since "Meet the Beatles". I was camped out on the record store porch with the release of every album. I've checked and I my copies are all first pressings.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2013 - 12:05 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

FELLOW GUILDERS

I have nothing remarkable Beatles-wise in my current collection. In the past, however, I owned the only know mint copy of Vee Jay DJ Special #8. I paid $3,900 for it in 1986; the money came from an advance for my next book for O' Sullivan Woodside (the now slightly legendary "Pops & Personality Record Album" price guide).

Alas, OW did not last the year and I ended up outta a job and in need of money so I had to part with one of the rarest and most desired Beatles records on the planet.

I owned a first Japanese pressing of ABBEY ROAD where they included the lyrics to all of the songs on the back cover. Whoever did the translation did it phonetically by listening to the record. The errors were hilarious; some bordered on dada-like poetry.

I also owned a copy of the first capitol album as it was issued in Argentina in 1964: SURFING CON LOS BEATLES. Yup, Capitol attempted to capitalize on the popularity of the sport in South America by renaming the album “Surfing With The Beatles.”

Wish I coulda kept them all but I did not.

NEAL

PS: Back in the early '80-s, there was a record store in the plaza in Sacramento where Lee cotton had his store. On the wall, they had a single that had “I Get Around” by the Beach Boys on one side and “I Feel Fine” by the Beatles on the other. (I think those were the titles.)

It seemed legit and they were asking $500 – which everyone thought was insane. That seems cheap in hindsight but, remember, in 1981 or so, a stereo “butcher” cover in mint condition sold for less than that . . .

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2013 - 02:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Surfing con los Beatles en Accion (Venezuelan Odeon OLP-382) is a great album to have. One of the "fun" worldwide Beatles compilations. It was the group's second LP in that country, containing several great singles tracks.

That was back when nearly every country that put out albums was doing their own thing. Wish I owned a copy. Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, South Africa, Sweden, and Uruguay all put out albums that were basically unique.

I have never owned a Special DJ Release #8. Neal, I'm jealous. Heck, I'd be happy to own the other seven -- none of them Beatles records -- just to be able to collect them.

Isn't it interesting, though, how each of us will find some items more interesting than others?
I'd love a "sandwich cover" French EP, but there are other rarities that I'm not that interested in obtaining.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2013 - 09:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i don't collect the newer stuff like the beatles but i always seem to have some neat things around. i have the white cardboard advertizement for the beatles tv special, a butcher cover, sealed white vinyl white lp, and some other odds and ends for trade bait. i've never seen the vj-8 but i do know a friend who has one. many many rare beatles records have "gone thru my hands" in the years i had the record shops.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 28, 2013 - 11:20 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Here's a fun one I forgot to mention years back: a copy of "Please Please Me" on VeeJay (the common 45) with the oval logo label on one side and the brackets label on the other!

socorroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 27, 2013 - 12:57 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I have a bunch of cool stuff, but for sheer rarity I would have to give the nod to my legal Thai copies of Help and Revolver. Music piracy was rampant in Thailand in the 60s, and at one point EMI tried to combat it by licensing some of its records to the oldest and most prominent music company in Thailand, Kamol Sukosol. As stated on the rim print, the records were manufactured by Thai Phonograph Record Co. (a Kamol Sukosol subsidiary) and distributed by Kamol Sukosol. They were pressed from UK metal parts, with the same matrix numbers as the original UK copies. They were released on black & yellow Parlophone labels, and sleeves imported from the UK. The labels for Revolver even include the "Sold In U.K. . . ." statement included on the UK labels at that time. All of which establishes that they were made in Thailand at about the same time as in the UK.

The only copy of Help I have ever seen documented is mine. I know of one other copy of Revolver, which has been offered by Tracks UK for several years.

CliveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2013 - 09:20 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I don't have any especially rare old Beatles stuff - really just an old 45 from my mom, below, in basic condition:

I do, however, have the '100 White Albums' record that Rutherford Chang was working on when he did his 'We Buy White Albums' art exhibit in NYC earlier this year. He owns 900-plus copies of the first pressing of the White Album and the idea of his project is that the records all started as perfectly white objects, but in the last 45 years, have acquired stains, tears, doodles and more—so it's really about entropy. Anyway, while the exhibit ran, he record 100 copies from the collection, layered them all on top of each other and then pressed the result. All 100 records start out in synch, but as it progresses through a side, they smear apart due to scratches, skips, turntable speed, the masters used and more. By the time you get to the end of a side, it's a big, blurry disaster, but fascinating to listen to.

He won't say how many he pressed up, but they're pretty nice—quality vinyl and well-printed/constructed sleeves (the covers and record labels, too, are the 100 covers layered atop each other). No runout groove info on the records (hmmmm); when I got a few from him, I asked him to sign one since he's the artist, but he declined. Personally, I like the project and feel it qualifies as a new work created under Fair Use Doctrine, but I'd be the first to say this pushes very hard at the boundaries of what's allowable and probably doesn't meet all the necessary criteria. Hopefully the Beatles' lawyers will 'let it be,' but we'll see.

Front

Back

Inside

Poster that came with it of all 100 albums

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2013 - 01:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I like that concept: Consumer Wear & Tear as an art form. As for the pic sleeve, I acquired my copy of "Do You Want To Know..." at a Half-Price Books, and NOT in the "Collectables" box on the counter...nope, it came from the usual 48-centers - apparently some underpaid "liberal arts" major didn't know what they had and stuck it in with all the unsold SSgt Barry Sadler records, or maybe they thought it was a repro...at any rate, their loss...

Jump to: