The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: break- ins  PostPosted: Feb 10, 2010 - 10:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

from the great denver R&R label a break-in record. it's not nearly as smoothly done as the B&G ones, charlie seems kinda "stiff". this came with a pic sleeve which i have somewhere. it's pt. 1 & pt. 2

DSC01365.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.5 KB
 Viewed:  396 Time(s)

DSC01365.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: break- ins  PostPosted: Feb 22, 2010 - 11:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Wow, that's new to me. If you're familiar with Frank Merrill, that guy has had probably every break-in record known to mankind. One time he sold me one from BELGIUM! (yup, all the narration and songs were in Belgian!)

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: break- ins  PostPosted: Feb 22, 2010 - 12:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

frank was a customer of my record lists in the 80s & 90s, i was buying lots of records from radio stations at the time, being a fellow dj it was easy for me to weasel my way into almost any record library. today you can't buy a scratched up lp of barbara streisand's greatest hits without the board of directors bring it up at a board of directors meeting & voting on it. almost all of the radio stations are owned by corporations today. back then i would go thru the records, pile up what i wanted & when who ever i was dealing with would have time i would ask them what they wanted. most would say "i don't know, we usually just toss these in the trash hopper. i would slip them a 50 or hundred dollar bill or lots more if the situation warranted, [remember this was 1980, 100 dollars was still a lot of cash back then] & move on to the next stop. i was very careful about taking any newer records [80s stuff] i only picked out the beatles & E stuff & other VERY interesting looking records. i would take every novelty record & sell them on my lists for one dollar each, frank was a good customer, he also visited my shops in col springs. i had 2 of the chilly charlie records, the only 2 i've even seen & i got them at the same time & they both were unplayed & in pic sleeves.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: break-ins  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2010 - 06:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

this was one of those records that seemed to be plentiful in the 70s in the rockies, don't know why, it says california on the label, it's pretty good.

DSC01482-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.17 KB
 Viewed:  325 Time(s)

DSC01482-1.jpg

Bush Monkey
Post subject: RE: break-ins  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2010 - 07:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I love break-in records.

One of my all time favs since I was a little kid is "Santa and the Satellite," Buchanan and Goodman.

You have that one Wurl?

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: break-ins  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2010 - 08:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

yes, i have that, since the original flying saucer record came out in my freshman year in hi school i've been a B&G & a break in record fan. the term break in didn't some into use til later. you can't imagine the excitement when the first flying saucer record hit in 1956, we were enthralled by outer space stuff & the break in format was totally new. it's really difficult to pick a fav, more than a few of them are very good.

recordfan
Post subject: Re: RE: break-ins  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2010 - 09:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
yes, i have that, since the original flying saucer record came out in my freshman year in hi school i've been a B&G & a break in record fan. the term break in didn't some into use til later. you can't imagine the excitement when the first flying saucer record hit in 1956, we were enthralled by outer space stuff & the break in format was totally new. it's really difficult to pick a fav, more than a few of them are very good.

And more than a few of them suck big-time. One of the worst of them all is Ben Blur and the "Chariot Race"

"Henry goes to the moon" isn't exactly one of the better ones either. Same with Dave and Bob's "Two Old Sparrows. Same with Bill Fern and "The big game". "Space man" with Alan Freed, Steve Allen and Al Jazzbo Collins sucks also. I think ron and John with "Hawaii strikes back" is pretty bad also.

recordfan
Post subject: Re: RE: break-ins  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2010 - 09:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Bush Monkey wrote:
I love break-in records.

One of my all time favs since I was a little kid is "Santa and the Satellite," Buchanan and Goodman.

You have that one Wurl?

Sometime around 1965, I was in a Thrifty Drug on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks for one of them lost leader sales with records at 10 for a buck. I couldn't believe all the copies of "Santa..." that were on this table. I stopped counting at 200. I bought my one copy for a dime and left all the rest, which wasn't all that bad. I don't think I could have ever found 20 people to sell that record to, let alone over 200 copies of it.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: break-ins  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2010 - 10:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

yeah, i agree ben blur has to be one of the worst. the chilly charlie one charlie sounds like he's reading from a script, there's no "flow" to it. i found a stack of ski king records like that once at a store in the late 60s. novelty records, except for the first flying saucer never sold very well, i think people got tired of them once the novelty wore off.

Bush Monkey
Post subject: RE: break-ins  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 - 12:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

recordfan, you break-in records Ebenezer Scrooge you.

Laughing I'm kidding ya.

Jump to: