The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
steffiestonesOffline
Post subject: Show me your most collectable punk rarity.  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 - 01:09 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Original Sun paper 1976 with the famous Bill Grundy scandal on the frontpage. Bill Grundy was suspended by Thames Television for two weeks.

pistols paper.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.2 KB
 Viewed:  937 Time(s)

pistols paper.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Show me your most collectable punk rarity.  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 - 02:36 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

That's great, I love it!

I've got lots of Punk LPs that I bought new back in the '70s/'80s. I sure some are quite rare, but have no idea which would be "most collectible?"

steffiestonesOffline
Post subject: Original Clash tourposter 1977 Zurich.  PostPosted: Mar 24, 2010 - 04:34 AM
Level 4
Level 4

The Damned didn't play this gig. Rat Scabies quits the band. The Damned and The Nasale Boys were intended to support The Clash.

clash damned.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.64 KB
 Viewed:  905 Time(s)

clash damned.jpg

savagebeat
Post subject: RE: Original Clash tourposter 1977 Zurich.  PostPosted: Mar 29, 2010 - 05:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's a great looking poster.

B_big.Offline
23 Post subject: 1977 misprint  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2010 - 09:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    As 'Cactus' already stated, I bought all of my so called punk recordings in the late 70's and early 80's. I don't care about their monetary value, therefore I can't point out a very scarce.

But I've been told, that the first Lp of 'The Damned' with the false picture printed on the back (Eddie & The Hot Rods) is pretty rare. You can see it on my site.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

SID
Post subject: Re: 1977 misprint  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2010 - 09:45 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

B_big. wrote:
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool

But I've been told, that the first Lp of 'The Damned' with the false picture printed on the back (Eddie & The Hot Rods) is pretty rare. You can see it on my site.

Yes it 's very rare,Big ! I've only seen 2 others besides yours,in my whole lifetime ! Cool

B_big.Offline
26 Post subject: Lucky me  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2010 - 09:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Thanks Sid for the confirmation, so I was obviously lucky that I was able to snatch a copy!

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

savagebeat
Post subject: RE: Lucky me  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2010 - 02:29 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's cool B big! It took me many many years to finally find one of those at reasonable price. Did you get yours when it came out?

By the way, I like your site, very cool.

savagebeat
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2010 - 02:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My most "collectable punk rarity" may be my Misfits "Cough Cool" single. But then I could be proven wrong if I ever put some of my other records or non vinyl crud up for sale.

Now here is something I'd be interested in your opinions on. This is a RIAA platinum record award (1 million sales in the US) for the Sex Pistols 'NMTBHTSP" LP. It's made out to Johnny Rotten. I love hanging this thing on my wall, but do you see it as collectable as say the above mentioned Misfits 7"? I think not as it was issued many years after the band disintergrated, and was issued by a major label association to pat one of its own members on the back you could say, so it doesn't have that authenticity of coming from the original era of the bands activity. But on the other hand it may desireable to a wider audience who maybe do not necessarily collect punk records or paper items, but know that it's a legit RIAA award and it's got probably the most recognizeable band member and band of the punk era on it. So my bet is that "Cough Cool" currently would command a higher price than this award, but perhaps this here award would be considered more "collectable" to a wider audience. Sorry, I have a bad habit of splitting hairs.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2010 - 04:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

savagebeat wrote:
My most "collectable punk rarity" may be my Misfits "Cough Cool" single. But then I could be proven wrong if I ever put some of my other records or non vinyl crud up for sale.

Now here is something I'd be interested in your opinions on. This is a RIAA platinum record award (1 million sales in the US) for the Sex Pistols 'NMTBHTSP" LP. It's made out to Johnny Rotten. I love hanging this thing on my wall, but do you see it as collectable as say the above mentioned Misfits 7"? I think not as it was issued many years after the band disintergrated, and was issued by a major label association to pat one of its own members on the back you could say, so it doesn't have that authenticity of coming from the original era of the bands activity. But on the other hand it may desireable to a wider audience who maybe do not necessarily collect punk records or paper items, but know that it's a legit RIAA award and it's got probably the most recognizeable band member and band of the punk era on it. So my bet is that "Cough Cool" currently would command a higher price than this award, but perhaps this here award would be considered more "collectable" to a wider audience. Sorry, I have a bad habit of splitting hairs.

I'd say that is much rarer than the ''Cough Cool'' single. How many of those Misfit's singles were made.....maybe 500 ?? They sure didn't make 500 of those platinum record awards. I've seen at least 3 original copies of 'Cough Cool' in my life,so it's definitely rare,but it's out there....can you say that about the Pistols thing ? But don't try playing that platinum record ! Laughing

Jump to: