The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What Brought You to the RCG?
Looking for the value of a record or records.
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Wanted to talk with other record collectors.
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
To learn more about records and music.
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
Other.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 30

RidinTheWind
Post subject: What Brought You to the RCG?  PostPosted: May 25, 2010 - 11:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It seems most people come here looking for a valuation of their records. Now, I don't know how many of these remained as members, but what brought you here in the first place?

Reply with quote Back to top
kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2010 - 12:31 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Ultimately, it was for value. But not for one specific title. When my husband moved in, his vinyl collection moved in with him. I had always been a music freak but I had been converted to digital. Hubby brought me back from insanity and we began to wonder if we were the only ones that still listened to vinyl and how we could find out exactly what these things were worth.

A few keyword searches later...here I am Very Happy

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2010 - 03:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

What brought me to the RCG ?
This darn computer !

Why am I still here ?
A passion for records and music !

Very Happy

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2010 - 05:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: I already had a decent vinyl records collection (by decent I mean bands & musicians), but as I grew up as a U2 collector, needed help to know to take care of these records:

Through the RCG I got to know the Vinyl Grade, storage tips and a lot of interestings topics, some funny, some not: I actually decided to stay because the polls. Rolling Eyes

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2010 - 02:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

aravel wrote:
Through the RCG I got to know the Vinyl Grade, storage tips and a lot of interestings topics, some funny, some not: I actually decided to stay because the polls. Rolling Eyes

If you've paged through and read some of the past polls, I can understand that! Cool

B_big.Offline
15 Post subject: It was a good decision!  PostPosted: May 28, 2010 - 03:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    In 2006 I decided to create a web site for vinyl record cover art. I already had the majority of my collection at that time. In collector's terms I had been a 'sleeper' for quite some years. But nevertheless I always felt the urge to communicate with people who suffer from the same disease.

I have met a lot of helpful, kind and interested folks here at the 'RCG'. I have learned a lot about vinyl records. How to dig for them, how to maintain them, and how I can share my enthusiasm.

I voted for the second option 'Wanted to talk with other record collectors', but it easily could have been the 4th option as well.

I would like to thank all of you for the warm welcome you have given me at the start.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

mpgalvinOffline
Post subject: RE: It was a good decision!  PostPosted: May 28, 2010 - 06:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi folks. When I started collection records I inquired about a sale on Craigslist. During my communications with this seller we started talking about the whole record collecting process and this seller recommended that I try RCG for good starter info. Great advice....I've been here ever since.

andicatOffline
Post subject: RE: It was a good decision!  PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 - 08:30 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Originally, it was my interest in the value of my record collection that brought me here, but I did choose
"to learn more about records and music" because the info on this site is priceless!

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject: RE: It was a good decision!  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2011 - 04:34 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I was trying to understand grading and ended up here.

I stuck around because I felt the knowledge here could take my collection to a whole new level. It has too and my wallet to a whole new low.

SamlaurelOffline
Post subject: RE: It was a good decision!  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2011 - 06:51 AM
Level 5
Level 5

I think I've posted this story in other threads so, sorry if I'm repeating myself here. For a few years I was very into movie poster and memorabilia collecting, mostly drive-in and exploitation stuff from the 1960's - 1980's. I still love posters, but my interest in actually owning them has waned. When I moved into my new apartment, I set up my USB turntable in the living room just for the hell of it. Throughout my life I've been primarily a cd buyer, but every once in a while over the years I would buy a record here and there. There's a great record store right down the street from me and that was partly what renewed my interest in music and records. I upgraded to a new turntable. Then I joined this forum because I wanted to talk to other people who are into records. This has been a great experience so far. I've actually been selling off some of my movie poster collection to buy more records. NEVER thought I would see the day where I would want to part with some of my posters.

Jump to: