The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jackcaptureOffline
Post subject: About This Forum  PostPosted: Feb 06, 2004 - 08:38 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Neal has expressed interest in a Forum where he can share his vast knowledge of the record collecting market, and at the same time collect information from all types of collectors, from novice to pro. This is that Forum!
I will let Neal further express his ideas and intentions but a summarical quote from him is,

"...what I want is feedback concerning my books, Neely's books, Osborne's books, the state of record collecting today and the past few years, ebay, etc. In other words, what collectors want and believe that they are not getting from all of us.
Also looking for input on the books: mis-information, errors, dramatically changed values, etc.
I would also want to extend an invitation to your members to participate in updating my last book with pertinent new listings with which they might consider themselves 'experienced'".

Welcome, and let it roll!

Reply with quote Back to top
neal umphred
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2004 - 08:57 PM
Former Member

FELLOW GUILDERS

For the near future, many of my posts for this board will be brief (anyone who has read my work knows I don't like brevity, but. . .). So, here goes: What I explained to jackcapture (heretofore known as "jc") that I would like to see occur is a mutually beneficial site. I will be happy to answer pertinent questions as they are submitted. Also, I will be providing entire pages to jc for inclusion here, the most important of which will be selections from the "Introduction" of THE UMPHRED GUIDE TO BLUES AND RHYTHM & BLUES 45s OF THE 50s. I consider it to be the best intro to the field that I have written and, aside from a completely new way of grading records, I deal with various apsects of the collecting field that will benefit both neophytes and old-hands. As I was only able to print 330 copies of this book, it is rather rare in and of itself. I have seen used copies sell on ebay for $100!

In the past ten years, the values of many, many records from the '50s and '60s have headed south as their fans age and few new ones arrive to take their place. Much as we oldsters might like it other, it is virtually impossible to get $300 for Little Richard or Jack Scott albums.

At the same time, of course, younger collectors are scarfing up soul/funk of the '70s and punk/new wave/alternative of the '70s-'90s. The manager of Amoeba Records told me that obscure punk, etc. priced at less than $50 literally sell within hours of being put up on the wall while well-known but aging collectables sit comfortably week after week, no matter the size of the discount off of "the guide".

So, a new guide must have this information and I must get that info.

So, you wanna help?

While I welcome anyone who has access to accurate lists sending said lists on to me (please. . .), I would enjoy seeing postings that tackle the topics here and now.

And I am not suggesting that you all limit yourselfs to the above genres: I, too, need to know exactly what Nick Drake albums are selling for in the real world; are there still collectors offering big bucks for The Knights' HOT ROD HIGH; where does Gene Vincent belong; why do people-who-should-know-better make fun of Donovan; blah blah blah. . .

Hope this helps!

NEAL

Recommended listening: Gene Clark's THE FANTASTIC EXPEDITION OF DILLARD & CLARK (unless you hate gorgeous melodies, articulate lyrics, and soulful singing and arranged and produced with taste and intelligence).

dkurtis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2004 - 11:33 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

You can overcome that brevity by always posting twice. Very Happy Thank you for
taking such an active part in this guild. It was a bold move.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 02:12 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

literally bold dk Laughing Wink

neal umphred
Post subject: BOLD  PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 02:03 PM
Former Member

FELLOW GUILDERS

Enuff wit da bold stuff and send me some meaningfool data.

Tank ewe veddy mush.

NEAL

PS: Hoping jackcapture will delete the first posting so the second, corrected one ain't too redundant.

Recommended listening: Dave Clark 5's EVERYBODY KNOWS (Epic). As close to an "A" album as the DC5 came and a piece of the '60s that has aged remarkably well and remains all but unnoted by the critics blah blah blah.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 03:24 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Neal,

can I ask you one favour ?? Please register - this gives others the opportunity to leave you private messages and it shows commitment..

Just my 2 cents of thoughts

neal umphred
Post subject: Registering  PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 03:49 PM
Former Member

PRANCING HORSE

I did register.

Aparently, I may have done so inexpertly.

What's next?

NEAL

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 04:05 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

maybe login in ??? Rolling Eyes Wink

There is a checkbox on the login screen that you can set so you will be loged in every time you visit the RCG..

nealumphredOffline
Post subject: nealumphred  PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 06:07 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

PRANCING PONY

Did as instructed. Tell if it's worked. . .

NEAL

Recommended listening:

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 06:21 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Neal,

it works perfect .. Welcome to the RCG, the best record collectors site on this planet .. (Bullshit, the best in this and all universes close to it ..)

But why are you calling me a pony?? Smile Wink Somebody else called me prancingpony before (sorry I forgotten who that was) but I consider this funny for somebody measured at about 2 meters.. Laughing Laughing

P.S. As your recommended listening did not work I feel free to propose something - Peter Tosh "Legalize it"... I know this album is controversial because of the title track and its tendency to ask for the legalization of mariuhana.. But it is great music anyway ..

Jump to: