The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: Rays by Michael Nesmith (2006)  PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 - 08:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

(This review was originally written by me and posted on Amazon.ca in February 2007.)

"Rays" is the first CD release of new material by Michael Nesmith in a dozan years. It becomes very apparent on listening he put a lot of time and passion into it and it's great to hear something new from this most underrated and ignored singer/songwriter. Many tunes are instrumental and on first listen sound like T.V. documentary themes and some of the vocal tracks suffer from heavy handed arrangements and production techniques. By that, I mean the vocals tend to be partially drowned out by the instruments. This is not some sort of oversight by Nesmith, he worked on this project for roughly five years, maybe more. I'm sure he designed it that way. I know it's just me, but I find it frustrating and it impedes my listening pleasure. One thing that really impressed me was the percussion throughout this recording. Nesmith nearly always uses interesting percussionists. It's a good piece of work but a little disappointing for me. I would have wanted far less instrumentals and more vocals. The stand out numbers are the title track and the closing number "Follows The Heart", proof that he can still write those great tunes. Maybe next time....let's see, at this rate, what will that be, 2018 maybe?

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: