The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rooster
Post subject: Re: Latest project by 'lovely' Norah J.  PostPosted: Aug 02, 2014 - 11:31 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

B_big. wrote:

By the way, is there a genre like "Jazz 'n' Country"??

Yes, It's called "Western Swing".

I'd Suggest the following groups (although there are plenty of others and you may get other choices from other members):

Bob Wills And His Texas Playboys
Milton Brown And His Musical Brownies
Spade Cooley
Hank Penny
The Light Crust Doughboys
The Tune Wranglers
The Maddox Brothers And Rose
Pee Wee King

Like I said there a even more, but that should get you started, my friend.

rooster

Reply with quote Back to top
B_big.Offline
Post subject: Re: Latest project by 'lovely' Norah J.  PostPosted: Aug 03, 2014 - 01:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

rooster wrote:
. . . Like I said there a even more, but that should get you started, my friend.

rooster

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      Excellent service Curt! Thank you for your efforts and the suggestions, I'll definitely will check 'em out.

Now spinnin':

'Love Is Stronger Than Pride' - Sade (US Epic - AFZLP 159, 2014 - audio fidelity 180-gram limited edition #0506) originally issued 1988

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

rooster
Post subject: Re: Latest project by 'lovely' Norah J.  PostPosted: Aug 03, 2014 - 04:04 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

B_big. wrote:
rooster wrote:
. . . Like I said there a even more, but that should get you started, my friend.

rooster

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[list][list]Excellent service Curt! Thank you for your efforts and the suggestions, I'll definitely will check 'em out.

Weren't Nothin' Pardner Laughing

I thought maybe you were making a little joke asking about a Jazz-Country Hybrid and that I would surprise you with an actual genre.

I should mention that The first group I listed, Bob Wills And His Texas Playboys, Were the Kings of Western Swing, Bar None, although they never called themselves that. You should be able to find some of their stuff relatively easily as they sold tons of records. As for the rest, Milton Brown And His Musical Brownies were kind of The Fathers of Western Swing. They were one of the earlier groups that set the boundaries of what became Western Swing. Spade Cooley, was very good (and he did call himself "The King Of Western Swing"...but he really wasn't up to the level of Bob Wills).

The rest you can mix and match as you please. All were very good. I have always had a special place in my heart for The Maddox Brothers And Rose...especially Rose... Laughing ...if you know what I mean, and I know you do.

rooster

j_loopOffline
Post subject: Re: Latest project by 'lovely' Norah J.  PostPosted: Aug 04, 2014 - 12:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A country girl-group called "Puss n' Boots"....just when I thought all the good band names were gone. Is there any element of humor in their music? I have a hard time keeping a straight face just thinking about that name!?

B_big.Offline
15 Post subject: As long as I learn, I'm alive!  PostPosted: Aug 04, 2014 - 01:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

rooster wrote:
. . . I thought maybe you were making a little joke asking about a Jazz-Country Hybrid and that I would surprise you with an actual genre . . .

rooster

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      Originally I was kidding, you weren't all wrong with your guess! On the other hand, isn't 'Blue Note' known as an Jazz orientated label? And when I listened to (lovely) Norah J's latest project, I thought - this is a mixture of c+w and jazz. To be honest, I wasn't aware about its existence.
      Every day which gives me something new to learn; is a good day! . . (I think, I have to check out (your) 'Rose'.

B_big.Offline
14 Post subject: Not a comedy album  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2014 - 12:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

j_loop wrote:
. . . Is there any element of humor in their music? I have a hard time keeping a straight face just thinking about that name!?

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      I like their music, as far as I can tell, there is much of play fun on this album, maybe you should give it a try?! It is truly a serious kind of work, using some of the well known cliche of love songs, accompanied by great instrumentation. (I had to giggle when I first heard their name!)

B_big.Offline
32 Post subject: A Canadian lady  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2014 - 02:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      Spinnin' on a rainy Sunday morning:

'Glad Rag Doll' - Diana Krall (EU - Verve - LC00383, 2012)

On of her best I guess!

hood1982Offline
Post subject: RE: A Canadian lady  PostPosted: Sep 19, 2014 - 04:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Found a lot of killer jazz since my last post. Gonna get into some bluesnik and walkin tonight. Maybe one of the many Bill Evans that I recenty grabbed for $2 each also. Happy bday to me hahaha

Jump to: