The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by Joan Baez  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 12:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm not sure what really went wrong here but it appears the singer and/or her producer couldn't be bothered to check the proper lyrics of the song. Joan sings "...like my father before me, I'm a workin' man...". Well, first, there's no way that Joan Baez could be a "workin' man", but that aside, the actual lyric is "...like my father before me, I will work the land...". This version is a complete waste of your time. If you haven't already, check out the original by The Band. You won't be sorry!

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by Joan Baez  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 12:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

oldbillclarke wrote:
Joan sings "...like my father before me, I'm a workin' man...". Well, first, there's no way that Joan Baez could be a "workin' man", but that aside, the actual lyric is "...like my father before me, I will work the land...".

Ha. Well....not changing the gender is artistic license, that gets done plenty, but I have to confess that I've also always thought the lyric was "working man" - I just watched the youtube of the song from The Last Waltz to hear my decades-long error corrected - it's just as you say, "work the land".

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: