The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: Elvis Golden Records Volume 4  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2010 - 08:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

On the surface, Elvis' Gold Records Volume 4 might not be as strong as the first three volumes. It features mostly newer material than Volume 3 (roughly 1963 thru 1966 although not exclusively), but it also contains at least three older B sides which were left off the earlier Gold Records LP’s. Many of these recordings aren’t as well known as the ones on the first three LP’s of this series and to some people, like me for instance, they just might be a more interesting listen. A few tunes like "Please Don't Drag That String Around" and "It Hurts Me" were B sides and might have been a little bit ignored although here they sound almost essential. The former, and flip side of “Devil In Disguise”, features The Jordanaires “bopping” and with the same sax sound that made “Return To Sender” so memorable. There’s an assortment of styles from ballads like “Love Letters”, “Ask Me” and “Indescribably Blue” to all out rockers such as “Witchcraft” and “Ain’t That Lovin’ You Baby”. “Indescribably Blue” in particular, is a somewhat lesser known work but nonetheless a lovely performance even if the vocal arrangement might be a little over the top. I think my favorite is “A Mess Of Blues”, the 1960 B side of “It’s Now Or Never”. If I had my way, it would have been the A side. Unfortunately for many of us today, when we think of Elvis, we don’t think about the things that made him so very special in the first place. Instead we reflect on that bloated Las Vegas Elvis with his outlandish costumes, prescription pills, shooting handguns at his TV screen or the 10,000 ice cream bars in his bedside fridge. We’ve all had a good chuckle but it’s time to forget all that, pretend it didn’t happen and concentrate the good points. He is such a good vocalist that even when he does mediocre material, like he did on many of those God awful soundtrack LP’s and a certain portion of his 1970’s work, he can still make it competent, if not good. To turn nothing into something is a gift only a few singers are blessed with. The King might be dead but we needn’t bury him yet. He has left a lot of good listening for those of us still in the world of the living.

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Elvis Golden Records Volume 4  PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 - 05:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i think the mono version of this is the rarest regularly issued E lp, i've only seen one in my lifetime of dealing in & collecting records.

KentTOffline
Post subject: RE: Elvis Golden Records Volume 4  PostPosted: Jul 18, 2010 - 09:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It is second rarest of late Elvis Presley Mono LP output. Speedway is the rarest of the late RCA monos and his last issued in Mono and Stereo. Still a rare and highly valued late RCA Mono LP.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: E gold records vol 4  PostPosted: Jul 18, 2010 - 02:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i've only seen one gold records vol 4 & about a dozen of the speedway soundtracks in mono.it may be a regional thing. the gold records one came from a radio station in st louis whose owner had moved to wyoming & taken the records with him. it was one of the biggest buys i ever made, they had about 50 k records, 45s, lps, [i bought about 10 k of these, way above average], & even 78s. it was wintertime & the wind was blowing thru the rickety sheds the 78s were stored in & i couldn't stand the cold to look thru them so i hauled 2 truckloads & two 8 by 4 trailer loads back to my colorado home & sorted thru them there. it was a pretty good bunch of 78s as 78s go, lots of late flexi 78s & many better country and not much pop. many 10 inch lps in with the 78s too, lots of jazz. i kept a handfull of lps from these, the 5 keys, gene vincent, ect. and the E gold records vol 4 & speedway soundtrack in mono. i'm not a big E fan but i thought someday i'd trade the 2 of them for something i wanted. ha ha, i still have them.

Jump to: