The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: The Essential Ray Price  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2010 - 03:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Some of the music that passes as "country" today is no more than superficial pop music with a slight country twist. This way they can lure unsuspecting pop/rock fans into the fold and sell them more records. Mind you, to be fair, that's what the business is all about. This CD was recorded between 1951 and 1962, and while selling records was important then, artistry was still respected. It is a truly wonderful example of 1950's honky tonk style country music by a man who might be better known for his smooth Nashville style balladry such as his huge hit "For The Good Times" in the early 1970's. And please don't get me wrong, I loved his version of that tune, but this stuff is totally different and probably better. Check out classics like "Crazy Arms", "My Shoes Keep Walking Back To You", "You Done Me Wrong" and "City Lights" and somewhat lesser known numbers (to me at least) like "Falling, Falling, Falling" and "Pride". The liner notes don't mention who the players are but there's some great fiddle, steel guitar and Floyd Cramer style piano on just about every track. To me this CD is a gentle reminder of what country music used to be compared to what it has become. There are no perfectly groomed pretty city boys in Pierre Cardin cowboy hats here. Ray Price remains an underrated proponent of this art form. This CD might not be for everyone, only those interested in real country music. It is truly the real deal. Enjoy!

Reply with quote Back to top
LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: The Essential Ray Price  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2010 - 07:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I think I have that cd as well... once Ray got going and found his direction he was unstoppable.

My fave is "Heart Over Mind"... Ray's vocal is great and the steel(s) is superb!
http://westex-countrywestern.blogspot.com/2010/06/heart-over-mind.html

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2010 - 09:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

And if you love the smoother mature Ray Price sound, get the Sony Music Special products All American Country CD. It is a reissue on CD of the 1972 All Time Greatest Hits LP and is a superb companion to the Essential Ray Price. Both discs will give you his classic hits in the best sonics available. And that All American Country CD is less than $6 new.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2010 - 02:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

one of only a handful of successful C&W guys who never released a R&R or RAB record, he never really tried.

Jump to: